Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you get it from your parents
I am very much like my father a bit chip off the old block.He was very much a loner most of the time but would meet mates every month or so in a group setting just as I do.I inherited his temper....loyalty .....same routine ...long term married ...long term job..all the same traits I now have.He didn't say alot to me a trait which I find important  not to copy in that I encourage my kids to debate and talk to me as much as possible and I learnt to control my temper late 30's because I could see my youngest copying me.I also have a good female friend ...my wife's best friend also but only in the last few years has this developed.

Just wondered if others feel the same as me and have you been able to change things later in life.?Or even an opinion or advice on it would be great.
I don't think either of my parents struggled the way I have, but it definitely runs in the family. Neither of them enjoy busy social lives or have many close friends. To me it's always seemed like they were able to approach and meet people when they wanted, though. My siblings are worse-- either at home with family/hobbies, or they moved far into the country. I think people learn a lot of behavior from their parents, consciously or otherwise.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
I am nothing like my father was, but as it turns out, I ended up marrying someone who became just like him, so I suppose in that regard I have become just like my mother.
She is very sociable and outgoing though which I am not, so that is about where the similarities end, lol
I have no idea if I get anything from my father, he was never around much so I didn't really know him and died when I was fourteen. I know he was into stock car racing and not to toot my own horn but I am a pretty good driver so maybe I get some skill from him. Definitely don't from my mom, she's had a few accidents and my brother takes after her in driving. She's not a bad driver but when I'm with them I wish their vehicles had a brake peddle on the passenger side. I don't think I'm much like my mother at all, she tends to overshare and she's a morning person. She tends to nag a lot and mother too much. She is so much like her mother was, and she always told my brother and I that if she ever turned into our grandmother to shoot her. She's lucky we don't own a gun, that's meant as a joke by the way I'd never actually shoot her. She is a bit annoying when she's sick even though she doesn't think she is, but she is. My brother is a bit like our mother though but he's worse when he's sick.

[Image: p5XQ_g.gif]
Hi Tealeaf

Yes same here my siblings pretty similar as well and I'm concerned about two of my kids who seem to have loose friendships but spend most time on there own ...should I try and break the cycle I don't know but they seem happy enough so maybe best they find there own way.

Thanks Purple I married a reincarnation of my mother so I know how you feel...I think Toungue

Hi Sci-Fi thanks for replying .Hope ok bringing up memories of your father ...he must have been an amazing driver,I went to Superstox in London alot when younger and contact driving at top speed round tight bends was a sight to behold..Thanks .
Inherited high inhibition and bad physical genes when, in their, time it wasn't a big deal.
I'm actually David Blane.
I'm my Dad through and through........Thankfully because my Mom is one of the most horrible people I've ever met!
However a lot of my insecurities come from my mom due to her mental abuse.......So everyday I'm reminded of her.
Unless it's a genetic medical condition (so far, I have none, hopefully it stays that way) or a feature like my nose, I don't get anything from my parents.
I am my own person and I will continue to be. What I do is because it's what I want to do, not because anyone else did it.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
(02-12-2018, 02:16 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: Unless it's a genetic medical condition (so far, I have none, hopefully it stays that way) or a feature like my nose, I don't get anything from my parents.  
I am my own person and I will continue to be.  What I do is because it's what I want to do, not because anyone else did it.

Hi Callie

Great that you are obviously strong an independent and not effected by your your parents in any way.Did you have loving encouraging parents by any chance...because I had quite the opposite in my father and my mother who I was very close to was one of the kindest most gentle people you could meet.
(02-12-2018, 02:40 AM)Joturbo Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 02:16 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote: Unless it's a genetic medical condition (so far, I have none, hopefully it stays that way) or a feature like my nose, I don't get anything from my parents.  
I am my own person and I will continue to be.  What I do is because it's what I want to do, not because anyone else did it.

Hi Callie

Great that you are obviously strong an independent and not effected by your your parents in any way.Did you have loving encouraging parents by any chance...because I had quite the opposite in my father and my mother who I was very close to was one of the kindest most gentle people you could meet.

No, "loving and encouraging" is definitely NOT how I would describe my parents. lol
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  no friends and dealing with parents seperation mate 3 562 09-16-2018, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Tealeaf
  Rejected by parents? ditakelly 14 2,916 02-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Last Post: NillaWiggs
  Complicated relationship with parents mark_is_lonely 9 3,057 04-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Last Post: maudie k
  What do your parents think of your loneliness? AnonymousMe 33 6,381 03-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Brody
  Does living with parents contribute to loneliness and should I move? Wind Fish 14 4,298 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Last Post: ladyforsaken
  Thinking of my parents LonelyInAtl 8 1,979 11-24-2012, 04:19 AM
Last Post: Milly
  28yrs old in June, still live with parents, no job, no friends, is it all to late?? Michael 90 128,474 06-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Last Post: jjam
  I still love my parents... but I just have to write this chrism 8 3,745 06-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Badjedidude
  Don't want parents to see you happy? resist73 10 2,478 03-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Last Post: VanillaCreme
  How old is too old to still be living with your parents? Mumma's Boy 25 8,203 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Colette