Lack of Work History Is stopping Me Gaining Employment

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Reaction score
Hi All!

I was recently told that the lack of work history on my CV is probably the greatest factor as to why I'm not getting any joy when applying for jobs.

I haven't held a job down for longer than 3 months (apart from the one I have now, almost 7 months but is only voluntary).

So how do I solve this dilemma? It's probably one of the biggest factors to why I'm anxious and depressed, having no job.

So if having no subsequent work history is the main issue with me not finding a job, and I can't get the work history without the job. It's like a catch 22. I can't change that. So what's the answer?

I was on drugs for 9 yrs you see from 2001 to 2010 and since then have had 4 jobs (3 for 3 months and this one for 7 months. 2 were voluntary) and I've done 3 yrs at college and I'm now at university, which I have been for 3 years. Theoretically I should now be in my 3rd year but only still on my first (Level 4) as I passed Level 4 of one, wasn't happy and changed and last year failed a level 4 but I'm repeating.

University has proven very hard for me as I'm very much a loner (or introvert but with moments of extroversion) and don't make friends very easily and I'm so full up of anxiety and feeling depressed that's it's just too much really. Just want a job but the years of not building my life up and chaotic lifestyle of homelessness, sofa surfing, benefits, drugs, the Big Issue (in all weathers) etc etc with all types of dodgy people has really taken it's toll on my mental health as you can imagine.

I've now got a pretty decent flat, still in pretty good health (apart from mental health and headaches) and just want a full time job and a relationship and 7 and a half years clean and still haven't obtained it and I'm in my early 40's. It's really getting me down now.

Thanks!

Stop focusing on your lack of work and start focus on how you advanced your education. Put that you spent time to further your education so that you are better prepared to enter the work force and do a better job. You just have to word it in a way that lets them know that you weren't just sitting on your lazy ass, you were actually doing something. No the drugs aren't all that helpful, but the further education is.

Yeah but the College and University are obviously on the CV that I hand in or upload. I have gained a NVQ Level 3 Qualification.

You mean state this in a covering letter?

Callie is right, just get yourself a good education so that your resume shows that you've worked really hard!

Plus how you write a resume can effect job prospects. Have you had help with it through employment services? Also do you put the voluntary jobs on your resume? Because usually an employer sees that as a good quality in a person!

Yeah I have had help with it. It looks pretty good I think but maybe room for improvement.

There's nothing wrong with getting a job at the same time you're still in education. Put all the experience and qualifications on your CV as normal but explain in the cover letter why you've not had much work history. Be prepared for them to ask. The short jobs probably aren't doing you any favours, either. They want to know you're reliable and don't just leave once something better comes along. A lot of people do that.

I don't know what it's like where you are but here there's about a hundred people for every job, so you'll probably get a few knock-backs (Or nothing at all!) before you get to an interview. Just remember this because it can feel pretty hopeless when it's happening. From the sounds of it you've come a long way so don't stop now.

I have the same issue. I'm still pursuing employment, but my enthusiasm deflates quickly because I know what I'm most likely going to be told by a majority of these companies. I'm definitely still trying though, and I would recommend you keep at it, too. Best of luck.

That's kind of my problem right there. Got tons of experience in admin but I'm looking for a good old fashion brawn sweating like a pig factory job. So no one wants me.

They don't know me enough (and the internet isn't helping, everything's online now, you never talk to anyone) to know that I can work so hard I'd literally die on the job. They just look at the name, look at the history and go "NEXT!".

Just keep on pushing. There's no cure. Talk to people too, usually a plug will get you in but they are a lot harder to find now than 20 years ago.

Richard_39 said:
That's kind of my problem right there. Got tons of experience in admin but I'm looking for a good old fashion brawn sweating like a pig factory job. So no one wants me.

They don't know me enough (and the internet isn't helping, everything's online now, you never talk to anyone) to know that I can work so hard I'd literally die on the job. They just look at the name, look at the history and go "NEXT!".

Just keep on pushing. There's no cure. Talk to people too, usually a plug will get you in but they are a lot harder to find now than 20 years ago.

Richard, you can have my job. I have a masters degree and great work history, but just took a low paying job doing manual labor

Seahorse said:
Richard, you can have my job. I have a masters degree and great work history, but just took a low paying job doing manual labor

If you're not interested in helping off and can't stop yourself from being a dick whenver you feel like it, I'm not going to have it.

Take your Master's degree and shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm wondering wether you're doing this because you're OCD or you can't resist being a dick to people who don't give a **** what you have to say.

Next time you want to comment on me, think twice. I'm the nastiest ******* you'll ever have the mispleasure of insulting. This isn't the first time since you've been back from "vacation" I've seen you being an all around prick for no reason other than your own amusement. Might I suggest taking up pottery instead of shitting on people's heads. Because some of them honeysuckle right back.

Alrighty then!

Simon, first off congratulations on getting over your addiction. That is a huge accomplishment. Getting an education is great, but let's be realististic about things. Yes , your resume is not going to impress any one. What is your major in ? What are the local job opportunities in your area? You mentioned that your job is voluntary , so I suggest finding a good company to intern with.

I'm in a similar position. Not the part about drugs, but the part about having a hard time finding work because I don't have a lot of work history. I did graduate from college and got my bachelor's degree, it took me 6 years instead of the usual 4 but I made it. I even majored in something utilitarian like they say you're supposed to do, instead of following curiosity - business, which I routinely find on lists of most employable college majors. But I haven't had much luck yet.

I don't really have much advice to give, except for one thing that I've been told a few times, which is to list your education above your work history on the resume so that potential employers see it first. You want to lead with your strongest attribute. And maybe consider the functional resume format, which focuses on what you know, instead of the chronological format, which focuses on your work history. Here's a link:

https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/sample-of-a-functional-resume

That's about all I know, since like I said, I have similar problem. Hopefully something will click eventually.

Latest posts

Back