I Don't Go Out For Long Periods!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm getting worried about my avoidant behaviour. I stay in in my flat for long periods. 8-12hrs if not longer sometimes. This time now is 27hrs and I've had no contact with anyone. Just a couple of texts and Facebook. Is it dangerous as I don't feel that well mentally be honest.

Thanks!

Is there someone nearby that could pop over to you for a little while? At least then you are still getting some interaction, but can build towards venturing out?

It sounds like your agoraphobic. Do you fear open spaces? Or is it something else that you are scared of like social interaction? 
I would go and see your Dr or maybe get some counselling if there is no one close to you that you can talk too.

I have a tendency to do the same. So I reserve time to go out and do something. ANYTHING. Even if it's just going to the local shop, or taking a walk through the park, or other things of that nature. Sometimes I'll go out at midnight at chat with the old folks always having a coffee at that time at the McDonalds close to where I live.
Contact keeps us human. Reminds us we need it.

I find one day a week to not go anywhere at all very relaxing. I have a big yard and garden for exercise, Netflix, and books. More than one day isn’t good for me. It depends on why you’re not going out. I work in an office. I usually like to go out and be social a couple times a week. I have only been going out 1-2 times a month for maybe six months. I’m not sure why. I guess I have hermit tendencies, but I really don’t want to be alone either. I have friends to go to happy hours with. I can’t seen to find friends to do active things with, like maybe a hike.

SimonT said:
Hi All!

I'm getting worried about my avoidant behaviour. I stay in in my flat for long periods. 8-12hrs if not longer sometimes. This time now is 27hrs and I've had no contact with anyone. Just a couple of texts and Facebook. Is it dangerous as I don't feel that well mentally be honest.

Thanks!

Hi Simon, I have an idea of how you feel. I'm the same way except I don't mind so much. I work around people in a hectic, high stress, unpredictable environment 40 hours a week, sometimes more. So on my days off I am nothing less than a hermit lol. I do the basic shopping for things I need and I will go to the gym for an hour but as far as much interaction with people, I don't. I have One friend with whom I have limited contact with because he's not very social either (and he's always crying broke so we rarely go out and do things together). I don't know, for me, I've dealt with so many fake and disingenuous people in my life that I don't feel like I'm missing anything by staying to myself. As far as not feeling mentally well, do you at least sit outside on sunny days? You need those sun rays, the vitamin D is very much needed. I know if I stay inside for 48 hours (on my days off), I don't feel like myself. I become very lethargic, I sleep all day and unmotivated. Sometimes even if I don't feel like going out and engaging with people, I'll just go and get some coffee and sit my car in the parking lot and drink while listening to music or talk radio and people watch, scroll through my facebook feeds, check emails, play brain exercise games on my phone. It helps to just get out and get some fresh air and sunshine. 

Hope you're feeling better!

Latest posts

Back