Diagnosed with burnout and anxiety; what to do next?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

A few days ago, my doctor said to me that I was suffering from a burnout and also anxiety. My doctor put me off from my job for three weeks with the possibility to renew it after February the 23rd.

I also think that I am suffering from depression because I am often sad and I cry often when I am alone.

I am sick and tired of my job. It's very repetitive and there are no challenges at all. I also have to deal with big crowds and this is killing me now more than ever. It must have been because of all those years because I was not like that at the beginning. I have been working at this same job for almost twenty years now.

My job is now affecting my self esteem, my happiness and my mental health. It's been like that for years but I have not done anything yet to improve the situation.

My next appointment with my doctor is on February the 22nd. She would like me to start taking antidepressants. I am a little bit afraid about that.

I prefer healing the natural way but if I don't have the choice I will do it. I am also afraid that if I refuse to take antidepressants, she will sent me back to work. 

Meanwhile, my brother encourages me the best he can. I was searching for a new job but he told me that it's not the time yet. I must heal first and then after that I could search for another job. 

For the last days, I have done almost nothing. I stayed at home and alone and I rarely go out. I should but I find it hard. 

I must also say that my social circle is very limited. I must work on this.

Any tips to help me recover from my burnout?

It sounds to me like you need to find another job or you may not start to feel better....The old saying is "A change is as good as a rest! "

But on the negative side you might get a job that you hate even more, then you really are stuck....So if you do decide to change employment then you should be careful on what you choose. Maybe use employment services to help you.

I am a mental health nurse, depression usually has triggers and the only way to heal from the triggers is to try to change them. In your case it seems your work is having a negative effect on your health.

As for anti depressants, well I take a low dose of one. I wish I had never started it because sometimes the side effects are worse than the actual drug itself! And of course now I'm completely hooked and it will take a while for me to wean myself off them. So my next advice it to try and avoid them if you can. Unless of course you are not coping at all.

Work is one of the biggest causes of depression for most people, your not alone.  A lot of us on here are in the same boat!

ManitobaBrit70 said:
It sounds to me like you need to find another job or you may not start to feel better....The old saying is "A change is as good as a rest! "

But on the negative side you might get a job that you hate even more, then you really are stuck....So if you do decide to change employment then you should be careful on what you choose. Maybe use employment services to help you.

I am a mental health nurse, depression usually has triggers and the only way to heal from the triggers is to try to change them. In your case it seems your work is having a negative effect on your health.

As for anti depressants, well I take a low dose of one. I wish I had never started it because sometimes the side effects are worse than the actual drug itself! And of course now I'm completely hooked and it will take a while for me to wean myself off them. So my next advice it to try and avoid them if you can. Unless of course you are not coping at all.

Work is one of the biggest causes of depression for most people, your not alone.  A lot of us on here are in the same boat!

Yes I really need to change job and take my time to find a better one. Like you said, if I start another crappy job, I am going to get worst.

Thanks for your help.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
How about look into meditation / yoga.

I was thinking about that, especially yoga. I don't know anything about meditation.

Tomorrow I will have my second acupuncture treatment. The first one was last week.

Hi

I left a repetitive job in the office in my late 20's because it really was driving me stir crazy.I started up in my own business doing something I was always interested in pretty much since the age of five.It was tough in the early days income wise but as time has gone on I'm now earning a decent wage doing a job I have no trouble getting up in the morning for.I don't advocate this course of action for everyone because many businesses don't last five minutes and it has alot of ups and downs but the fact I love working in this sector pulls me through.The solitary aspect has its downside think I would have a bigger social circle if I stayed in the office but you can't have everything I suppose.

Apologise for rambling but I think sometimes it's good to follow a career in something your passionate about or at least have some interest in and hopefully even if other aspects of the job are not working out your interest for the subject can keep the mind active .Probably talking alot of nonsense but it's just my take on it.

Hope you sorts things for the better mate...good luck.

Hi Joturbo.

I am also looking into the business world. But right now, my brother says it's not the time for me to search for a job or to begin starting a business. He says I must take the next weeks or months maybe to improve my mental and physical health. After that, I could take the time to search for opportunities.

I will also prefer to work at a job I like and very importantly, a job that is near where I live. Tired of all those three hours I am losing every day to go to work.

Thanks for your tips.

I can relate. Not going to get into my story, but I need a job change fast and so far, no luck. I can't just take anything because of the costs of child support I pay.

Suffice it to say, a change would do you good. You have to balance the risk of still working and becomin more miserable or the risk of finding something worse elsewhere. Of course, you could find also the best job in your life. The decision is ultimately up to you, but as I've figured in the last few months in my case, I need a profound change. I encourage you to look into that.
Your brother does have a valid point though; take time to get yourself better and back to thinking form. When I was off from work, 3 days latter I was already thinking of what I was going to do in 1 month; that's who I am. My social worker told me to calm down, relax and take the time to live through what I was living through. Honestly I should probably have not started working again, but financially speaking I didn't have a choice lol.
But still, take the time, if only a few weeks, to think of nothing else BUT yourself, for once.

I would bring up the job to your doctor and try to get yourself ready and in the mindset to seek new employment. I know your brother is saying it's not time to change jobs yet (and unemployment might not help), but if your job is a large part of the problem then long-term only the symptoms are being treated.

If you're interested in things like yoga and meditation, I do some Tai Chi. Most of these things you can learn the basics of online if you don't have time to attend classes.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your tips :)

Two days ago, I had my first session with a psychologist. He said that I am suffering from a depressive-anxious state. He also says there are seven types of anxiety and most people rarely suffer from only one of those seven. Normally, it's a combination of a few types with different levels in each.

He also gave me some advices like;

- Start training regularly
- Get enough sleep.
- Spend more time outdoors to get more sunlight.
- Be sure to include fish oil in my meals. I am already taking fish oil supplements with Omega 3.
- Be social and spend more time with people.

He also says that outdoor sports are the best thing because they can include a few of those tips by doing only one activity. Like if you are hiking a mountain for a few hours, you will train at the same time, you will also get more sunlight and chances are that you will meet and talk to other people.

He also said that I should start to look for another job or a change in my career because this is the core of my problem.

We will see each others again next week.

I just read an article about the depressive-anxious state I am suffering and the last paragraph freaked me out.

Finally, depression exacerbated by anxiety has a much higher suicide rate than depression alone. In one study, 92% of depressed patients who had attempted suicide were also plagued by severe anxiety.  Like alcohol and barbiturates, depression and anxiety are a deadly combination when taken together.

Go to your local mental health center. Here in Vancouver we have many places to go, not sure where you are. I suffer from bipolar depression with anxiety for many years. A life style change will help a lot. From what you eat to exercise and changing places and people around you. For me I had to do that. But alas I also needed medication to help me. Now, I would say I am about 90% happier. You are not any less a person if you need medication I have learned that. I tried for years without it. Yet, today I am in a good place. Oh and meditation also helps. Bright blessings to you and may you find peace. ^.^

Arachne said:
Go to your local mental health center. Here in Vancouver we have many places to go, not sure where you are. I suffer from bipolar depression with anxiety for many years. A life style change will help a lot. From what you eat to exercise and changing places and people around you. For me I had to do that. But alas I also needed medication to help me. Now, I would say I am about 90% happier. You are not any less a person if you need medication I have learned that. I tried for years without it. Yet, today I am in a good place. Oh and meditation also helps. Bright blessings to you and may you find peace. ^.^

Thanks Arachne for your help.

I have seen my doctor three weeks ago. This morning, I will see her again and she will decide if she continue to pull me off work for a few more weeks. I will also tell her that I am ready to start medication.

I have started to change my lifestyle a bit. Doing around 30 minutes of luminotherapy each morning, trying to sleep a minimum of eight hours. I am also taking omega 3 supplements and I just started to train about 15 minutes every day. I do mostly weight lifting, squats and boxing movements.

But I will need to change my job because this is the main problem.

I am very, very nervous this morning because if my doctor return me to work, I will have to start working Saturday and I really dont feel ready for this.

Finally, my doc is putting me off work for another three weeks. Tomorrow morning, I will start antidepressive medecine.

LonesomeCowboy said:
Finally, my doc is putting me off work for another three weeks. Tomorrow morning, I will start antidepressive medecine.

Sounds like you are trying to do many things to take care of yourself! Keep posting!! Also, it sounds like you will have some time to reflect on your life more.  Have you considered joining a support group or a Bible study in your area?  They have helped me in the past!  Praying for you today!

Hi everyone.

I began taking antipressant medecine about three weeks ago. My doctor increased my dose and told me there could be some side effects but for now I only feel dizzy sometimes and have a dry mouth early in the morning some days. Beside that, I don't any difference right now but my doc told me to be patient because it could take a few weeks before working.

My doc also put me off work until the mid of April. My mood is changing every days. Sometimes, I feel ok, other days I feel like crap and don't want to do anything. Some days I go take a walk and take some pictures and others I spent with my pyjama all day long.

Last week, I began a course for people that want to change career. I have a few days left and I will also take other job search courses to help me with my CV, interviews, social media use for job searching. My job is the problem and my doc, my psy and my carrier guidance officer are all telling me the same thing.

LonesomeCowboy said:
Hi everyone.

I began taking antipressant medecine about three weeks ago. My doctor increased my dose and told me there could be some side effects but for now I only feel dizzy sometimes and have a dry mouth early in the morning some days. Beside that, I don't any difference right now but my doc told me to be patient because it could take a few weeks before working.

My doc also put me off work until the mid of April. My mood is changing every days. Sometimes, I feel ok, other days I feel like crap and don't want to do anything. Some days I go take a walk and take some pictures and others I spent with my pyjama all day long.

Last week, I began a course for people that want to change career. I have a few days left and I will also take other job search courses to help me with my CV, interviews, social media use for job searching. My job is the problem and my doc, my psy and my carrier guidance officer are all telling me the same thing.

Well, it's good to see things are moving forward and I'm optimistic that you'll end up being very happy in a new career path! Keep us posted :D
I know it's ups and downs, trust me. Hang in there.

Latest posts

Back