Terms of Endearment

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoadedDog

Reaction score
Was talking to an ALL friend about this....

As some of you might know, I have had my heart shattered recently.  OK.  Shite happens.

Now, when a plane crashes, the airline typically retires that flight number out of respect.  So if QF004 ('cept Qnatas flights DO NOT CRASH) has a face to face meeting with the Pacific Ocean, the airline would continue to service that route, but would change the flight number.  When the Granville rail disaster happened in Sydney (83 souls lost), the locomotive only had a few bruises and scrapes of paint missing.  Otherwise serviceable.  But they scrapped it.

So I want to call my friend some nice things (nothing in it, but just friendly) BUT I CAN'T.  Some terms have been retired.   Anybody else do this?

I do.
"Chérie" has been retired unless I'm talking to my daughters. Other terms of endearement have more limited usage.
"Mon amour" as well. Some other terms. Never dated an english speaking person yet, that would be a strange experience.
I usually just revert to first name. Terms of endearement only apply to dears.
Once they break your hearts, they get a demotion to just *first name* ;-)

Wintermute said:
Not sure I follow the topic... could you elaborate please?

He's asking if you would retire a term of endearment for someone else. For example, if you called Sue Anne "boo boo" for ten years, and that relationship ended, would you no longer use that name? Or if Sha-nae-nae would be a "boo boo" number two.

My answer to this is I don't have or use any terms of endearment for the one I'm with. I've never used typical endearment terms.

Well, for example, I can call somebody something like "my sweet", "sweetie", or even "sweetheart". But "sweetness"? Nope. Not happenning. Maybe I am just too sentimental. They're just words, aren't they?

TheLoadedDog said:
Well, for example, I can call somebody something like "my sweet", "sweetie", or even "sweetheart".  But "sweetness"?   Nope. Not happenning.  Maybe I am just too sentimental.  They're just words, aren't they?

Wars have been fought over words. Words are much more sometimes than written language. They carry sense, heavyness, meaning and memory, among other things.
I don't think it's foolish. I think it happens more often than people would admit.
I for one, don't find it pecular. We all have our little things.

I've always given terms of endearment to all of the women I've been intimate with (close female friends, as well).  Once I've given a nickname I can never give it to someone else.  So yes, I retire them...but then again, I'm kinda weird, I guess.

My Dad used to call me Claire Bear.... The other day for the first time in over 20 years someone said it to me! It made me sooooo happy!
I officially want everyone to call me "Claire Bear" from now on!

Latest posts

Back