True or False: Lonely people flock to the Internet

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True or False: Lonely people flock to the Internet

• True

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • False

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Azariah

Reaction score
While happy people are outside having fun.

I believe it's True.

If you are on the computer it's usually when you are alone.

Not me.
I don't have the internet at home. Even when I did I got on to the internet to answer emails or watch the news, not to socialize.

I don't think it's necessarily true. I think more solitary people actually enjoy being alone more than having a presence. I think everyone has different coping methods. You are of course right, that certain people will flock online, but if it's not in your culture or your education to seek sollace or companionship on the internet, you usually won't. Generational thing? Possibly. I feel the youngers who were born and raised with the internet will have a greater tendency to congregate there.

Interesting question.

i think so, it makes sense since that's the fastest easiest place to go to distract yourself with youtube videos and stuff.

Where else do you go to socialize if not offline? I think people with social lives go online, too, they're just not at risk for becoming dependent on it the way some who don't have offline friends are.

That is true.

If you are lonely and have no appropriate acquaintances in the real life then most probably you will try to find them on the internet. Maybe you will try to find friends online or chat with somebody or play online games, the point of these activities is escaping from loneliness. Thus all these lonely people try to fill their inner void.

I'd say so. But it's about looking in the right places - such as this forum. I myself have been a little bit happier knowing that I can talk to people who actually know what it's like to be in my position - because we're all in the same 'boat'. When I joined Meetup, I joined a particular group - but got shunned the second I displayed social awkwardness - and it was because they didn't get it. They couldn't because they had love and friendship in their lives.

So, yeah, people flock the internet when they are lonely - but they have to find the right places. :)

True. Spend some time in a chat room and watch all the lonely people desperately trying to make a connection. Read a comments section or a busy forum and see all the people who are essentially talking to themselves. Yeah, I'm one of them. I wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't lonely, so I infer that a lot of other people are lonely too. It's heartbreaking to see how many of us there are.

Cleanairfilter said:
True. Spend some time in a chat room and watch all the lonely people desperately trying to make a connection. Read a comments section or a busy forum and see all the people who are essentially talking to themselves. Yeah, I'm one of them. I wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't lonely, so I infer that a lot of other people are lonely too. It's heartbreaking to see how many of us there are.

This is painfully, incredibly accurate.

False. If everyone who flocks to the internet are lonely then there is a whole lot of lonely people out there. The internet is too populated with social media and online gaming. All those people on there aren't all lonely people, some are attention seekers and the like while some just want to reach out to people all across the world. Doesn't make them lonely. People are too attached to their devices anymore. It may have been at one time more lonely people flocked to the internet but not anymore.

Maybe back in the early 2000s people who choose to spend a significant amount of spare time online could be characterized that way, but generally no, not with social media the way it is now. And even a few years ago when there were still internet cafe's around the majority of people I'd see were part of a group of friends.

Latest posts

Back