Maladaptive Daydreaming

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]What are the symptoms of maladaptive daydreaming?[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Common symptoms include:[/font]
  • extremely vivid daydreams with their own characters, settings, plots, and other detailed, story-like features.
  • daydreams triggered by real-life events.
  • difficulty completing everyday tasks.
  • difficulty sleeping at night.
  • an overwhelming desire to continue daydreaming.
It is not formally recognized as a mental disorder. I think I may have it judging by the symptoms, though. Anyone else have the symptoms? I daydream excessively.

Oh this could definitely be used to describe me. I have even gotten angry with people for interrupting me when I'm deep in a daydream. I know that makes me sound like an *******, there's a reason I'm single lol. But for me, as I write music/poetry, daydreaming is almost an important part of my hobby. It depends whether this is a problem for you! Einstein once said his imagination was so vivid he could test his ideas out in his head and a lot of the times the reality had the same outcome!

So yes it describes me, so the important question is.. is it becoming a problem for you?

not really. but i do think i should focus on the task at hand especially when i am at work.

A little over a month ago I had a bad experience. It lead me to thinking of ending my life. It's the closest I've ever been. In the end It didn't happen because my mind kept filling in time with excuses and little detours. After that for about a week I basically gave up thinking. When I laid down I would have such vivid thoughts of a perfect life. Real life forced me to return. Bills work money. I think the trauma just flicked a switch in my brain. Anxiety stress depression anger people.

san_te said:
A little over a month ago I had a bad experience. It lead me to thinking of ending my life. It's the closest I've ever been. In the end It didn't  happen because my mind kept filling in time with excuses and little detours. After that for about a week I basically gave up thinking. When I laid down I would have such vivid thoughts of a perfect life. Real life forced me to return. Bills work money. I think the trauma just flicked a switch in my brain. Anxiety stress depression anger people.

I'm sorry you got so low, the brain sometimes forces us to keep going so we won't do anything we might regret, or you know, not live to regret.

Oh yes, daydreaming has been a swine for me since I was a kid. It negatively affected my work in primary school if I'm being honest. I've probably lost countless hours worth of sleep due to daydreaming at night as well since I was about 4. Most of the time its fantastical stuff, and by that I mean envisaging alternative timelines or idealistic visions of the future. Cruel really, because then you have to snap back to reality and realise that life is even worse than what you imagine because the hopes of these idealistic visions coming true are foolhardy at best.

Latest posts

Back