Pets?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
I've been looking at some pets I might like and I'm deciding between budgies, which are supposed to be easy birds for beginners, and just a regular cat from a shelter. How many here have pets or work around animals, or in nature?

Budgies are quite easy to take care of but any parrot demands a lot of attention, so if you don't stay home that much it's probably not a good idea. They can get along fine alone but its always best to have more than one... (could be quite loud too, not ideal for apartments)

Cats are way easier regarding that, they don't demand that much attention. Cats also need less space and they're less messy than birdies. If you do decide on one I'd highly suggest that you get an older cat... Just because they almost never get adopted :/

I would definitely want a pet, at the moment it's conflicting as I want to travel and having a pet would mean someone had to be burdened taking care of it when I'm gone...

I would have a cat as I'm a huge cat person, but if you'd want something cute and fuzzy and tiny that's easy to take care of I can also suggest one or two gerbils, I had one as a kid, and handled millions of them probably in the few years of school I did, never was bitten by one ever! Hamsters draw blood for sports :| (It was a agricultural/animal care oriented school).

I love having a pet in the house. Great for company.

I would love a cat, but we rent, so most places don't allow them. I do have a rabbit though and she is lovely. I prefer animals you can cuddle, so fur wins over feathers in that regard.
My daughter has a hamster, and he is a sweet little boy. He loves to be held, but is very active, so you couldn't exactly cuddle him per se.

We also have two axolotls. You cannot cuddle them at all, but the are incredibly fascinating creatures.

I have two dogs, both rescued strays (yay to you for considering a shelter as well! :D)

I find dogs easy pets because they follow instructions and as long as I'm disciplined with my routine and consistent with my training, they follow it to a t as well. Plus the cuddles! It's the best!! Honestly, the best cure for my loneliness has been my boys so I would highly recommend doggies as companions.

I wish you the best with your pet search Tealeaf! May he or she bring you great joy! :)

if you get a budgie, teach it to speak. They are not the easiest bird to teach, but when you do, they sound human. Swearing is allus good....

If you see a flock of wild birds (usually cockatoos) in Australia, you will often hear one speaking English. Funny thing, it might never have been domesticated, but taught by another.

DarkSelene said:
Budgies are quite easy to take care of but any parrot demands a lot of attention, so if you don't stay home that much it's probably not a good idea. They can get along fine alone but its always best to have more than one... (could be quite loud too, not ideal for apartments)

Cats are way easier regarding that, they don't demand that much attention. Cats also need less space and they're less messy than birdies. If you do decide on one I'd highly suggest that you get an older cat... Just because they almost never get adopted :/

I don't go out much, so budgies are perfect.  :p

I only worry that they might be lonely during the ways when I'm going to be out working. I heard they were relatively quiet (for parrots), though.

TheLoadedDog said:
if you get a budgie, teach it to speak.    They are not the easiest bird to teach, but when you do, they sound human. Swearing is allus good....

If you see a flock of wild birds (usually cockatoos) in Australia, you will often hear one speaking English.  Funny thing, it might never have been domesticated, but taught by another.

They'll probably hear music and learn to speak gibberish.

I'd love to have a rat.

Seriously lol.
A female rat is super affective and really fun to have. Think "sane hamsters". The one I had I used to let loose on me and he'd come to sleep in the crook of my neck.

We have a cat - he's a big, fat orange guy named Felix and two outdoor bunnies named Cinnamon and Spice. I have always had pets, both growing up and as an adult. I'm a cat person - at the time I met my hubby, I had seven cats! My hubby 'pretends' to hate cats (he secretly likes them though!), but he won't tolerate that many, so we only have the one cat.

Bunnies are fun pets. I have one, a Lionhead bunny named Bunnie Smalls (play-on from Biggie Smalls, the rapper) but I spoiled him and now he chews on everything & poops on my bed :(
Other than that, he cuddles, licks me like a dog when he's happy, and does cute bunny leaps and jumps called "binkies". You can train them to use a litter box. He hasn't shed too bad either.

I have a redtailed Boa snake that my ex and I got for free from his Sergeant. Trust me, I've never handled snakes or even thought of it for a pet! I'm the only one not scared of him & he likes to lick my hand or cheek when I pet him or handle him. The most intimidating yet coolest pet I've ever had. He has an awesome, relaxed temperament but I wouldn't suggest that for all snakes, but what do I know.... I've never been around snakes before him haha.

I've had cats and love them. They DO tear up things, accidentally scratch, and toss litter around, but that can be fixed with a little training. If you put the effort and love in, they can be just as sweet and cuddly as a dog can be, in my experiences.
Good Luck! Pets are always great companions and true friends :)

I have 2 cats and a doggie they are the sun of my live but the pain that I feel about being alone often don’t let me enjoy them. I’m all the time plugged to my computer to not feel the pain 😢

I've got 3 cats, 2 dogs a rabbit and a pony! I'm soon getting 12 chickens and a pet pig! But I'm lucky to have lots of land to house them all!

Animals are my friends and they are great to cuddle when your feeling sad!

But out of them all the cats are the easiest to look after, especially if your working.

ManitobaBrit70 said:
I've got 3 cats, 2 dogs a rabbit and a pony! I'm soon getting 12 chickens and a pet pig! But I'm lucky to have lots of land to house them all!

Animals are my friends and they are great to cuddle when your feeling sad!

But out of them all the cats are the easiest to look after, especially if your working.

I am most envious. I would love a pig

mari1969 said:
I have 2 cats and a doggie they are the sun of my live but the pain that I feel about being alone often don’t let me enjoy them. I’m all the time plugged to my computer to not feel the pain 😢

Mari1969,
I could use a friend too. Feel free to PM me.

I have one cat and one dog and they get me through some tough periods. Sometimes, well most, one or the other or both would feel my mood and come to me and give me love. They help with stress and gives companionship in some capacity. I recommend having a pet you can interact with.

I don't have any pets at the moment, but I'd love a fluffy dog or cat to snuggle with in the future.

I have fish, do they count? Kinds relaxing to watch if you're into that sort of thing.

Latest posts

Back