Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I pursue a relationship?
(02-21-2018, 01:33 AM)Xpendable Wrote: My advice didn't came from what I believe, but from objective observations made by others. My age has nothing to do.

And NEITHER does mine, but from subjective observation AND experience. You're the one who brought about an unrelated age debate.

Before throwing IQ comments around, you might want to look a good long while in the mirror.

Anyway, I've spoken my piece, I see nothing useful coming out of this pointless bickering. If the kid has question, he's old enough to be able to ask them.
(02-21-2018, 01:41 AM)Xpendable Wrote: Yes, people with IQ over 100. You should learn from them.

Wow, so now I'm stupid?  First, IQ is hardly something to judge a person on.  Second, it's just a standardized test.  Third, what do you think my IQ is, exactly?
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
Don't. If I were you and had urges/desires like you have, i would focus on them doing something about them.
(02-21-2018, 01:48 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:41 AM)Xpendable Wrote: Yes, people with IQ over 100. You should learn from them.

Wow, so now I'm stupid?  First, IQ is hardly something to judge a person on.  Second, it's just a standardized test.  Third, what do you think my IQ is, exactly?

I think the first point is technically incorrect. Everything else being equal, I'd attach more weight to the methodology of a person with an IQ of 140 than I would one of 20.

Sure, I agree that an IQ score isn't everything and less important than other factors in at least some instances but I prefer  sound arguments over something that just sounds good... and I like being technically correct.
(02-21-2018, 01:47 AM)Richard_39 Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:33 AM)Xpendable Wrote: My advice didn't came from what I believe, but from objective observations made by others. My age has nothing to do.

And NEITHER does mine, but from subjective observation AND experience. You're the one who brought about an unrelated age debate.

Before throwing IQ comments around, you might want to look a good long while in the mirror.

Anyway, I've spoken my piece, I see nothing useful coming out of this pointless bickering. If the kid has question, he's old enough to be able to ask them.

Wish saw this sooner but once again reminding people that insulting one another is not permitted here. Knock it off.
(02-27-2018, 05:52 PM)Wintermute Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:48 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote:

I think the first point is technically incorrect. Everything else being equal, I'd attach more weight to the methodology of a person with an IQ of 140 than I would one of 20.

Sure, I agree that an IQ score isn't everything and less important than other factors in at least some instances but I prefer  sound arguments over something that just sounds good... and I like being technically correct.

A person with an IQ of 20 most likely has some mental issues where they aren't really capable of taking care of themselves.  So everything would definitely not be equal there.  That is too big of a difference to even logically consider. 
However, okay, my son definitely has a higher IQ than I do.  (he's close to 140, I'm not stupid and my IQ isn't exactly low).  Yes okay, he is smarter than me concerning education and what he knows, but he knows nothing of real life, he is "stupid" in terms of "street smart."  So no, you couldn't judge him and me based on IQ alone.  Yes, he has stronger ties than me concerning what he knows, but does that really make up for the things I know that he will likely always struggle with?  That's difficult to say.  So no, you can't judge higher functioning people based on IQ alone.

The numerous IQ tests I had when I was younger helped categorize me (isolate me?) as a genius. Considering the incredible, almost uncanny number of stupid decisions I made in my life, you wonder...

I think I.Q. is entirely overrated and completely inadapted to measure successfully the level of a person's intelligence, which factors a grat many variables seldom if ever taken into consideration. Whereas IQ tests don't measure anything save your ability to successfully complete the specific IQ tests you're passing. You'll probably still burn your toast the following morning.

At this point, you can take that opinion as the opinion of a genius or the ramblings of a madman. It's a toss-up, to be quite honest. ;-)
(02-27-2018, 11:46 PM)Richard_39 Wrote: The numerous IQ tests I had when I was younger helped categorize me (isolate me?) as a genius. Considering the incredible, almost uncanny number of stupid decisions I made in my life, you wonder...

I think I.Q. is entirely overrated and completely inadapted to measure successfully the level of a person's intelligence, which factors a grat many variables seldom if ever taken into consideration. Whereas IQ tests don't measure anything save your ability to successfully complete the specific IQ tests you're passing. You'll probably still burn your toast the following morning.

At this point, you can take that opinion as the opinion of a genius or the ramblings of a madman. It's a toss-up, to be quite honest. ;-)

Why not a genius madman?

(02-27-2018, 11:49 PM)TheRealCallie Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 11:46 PM)Richard_39 Wrote: The numerous IQ tests I had when I was younger helped categorize me (isolate me?) as a genius. Considering the incredible, almost uncanny number of stupid decisions I made in my life, you wonder...

Why not a genius madman?

Aren't they all? ;-)

I'd rather be just a madman. Just in case I end up with a more inflated ego than I already have lol.
Thanks for indulging my inner pedant Callie.
I personally value intelligence for its ability to free us from irrational behavior and reasoning, though I would not seek to foster it to the detriment of sympathy or creativity, for example.
Sadly being intelligent does not preclude one from being a asshole either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Best Relationship - with God All Things are Possible AlertChristians 2 422 06-18-2019, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Katrina
  A relationship with Yahweh! humourless 11 617 03-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Last Post: humourless
  What is your criteria for trust in making and sustaining any type of relationship? erifeulb 7 1,425 02-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Enpatsu No Shakugan
  A possible explanation why some people feel they need to be in a relationship. Alonewith2cats 29 14,613 02-04-2019, 03:18 AM
Last Post: male45
  Obsession/Stalker relationship Jessicat 22 1,485 01-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Jessicat
  No relationship, drains life out of me. NewOrder2016 67 13,296 12-23-2018, 10:22 PM
Last Post: SadRabbit
  Left an abusive relationship OverTheRainbow 4 765 10-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Miriam1966
Rolleyes Her father is destroying our relationship Biliken 4 764 08-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Serenia
  The relationship which cost me my job roy1986 1 759 07-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: bleed_the_freak
  fear of abandonment in relationship telos 13 2,129 01-22-2018, 02:56 AM
Last Post: M_also_lonely