My mind is active at night. Need to sleep. Suggestions?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
I do the worst thing one could do: browse the internet

i need to sleep.

Azariah said:
I do the worst thing one could do: browse the internet

i need to sleep.

I get in front of the tv and put on old Star Trek shows.
Instant snooze ;-)

You should try classical music in the dark. Does wonders for the mind as well.

If you can get a hold of melatonin or GABA supplements, I'd recommend giving them a try.

I wouldn't recommend watching TV or using a computer before going to sleep though as this may interfere with one's natural circadian rhythm.

Wikipedia has an article on Sleep hygiene which has some things you might want to try if you want to experiment with improving the quality of your sleep.

Try meditation! Look online for some good tips on how to do it properly! Also if you like the smell of lavender it helps calm the mind, you can get it in a spray to put on your pillow.
I'm an insomniac, i get at most 3 hours per night. I do meditation and it helps so i would recommend you give it a try

thanks guys. was able to sleep finally. though i woke up 3:45 in morning! still feel greatly refreshed, though.

I follow my mum's advice. It works for me.

If you can't sleep, sure, try for five or ten minutes. If you still can't sleep, then get out of bed. Do something. Have a glass of milk or something. Watch some awful late night infomercials. You will get sleepy. Then you can go back to bed, and it will probably work.

I’ve had insomnia for well over a decade. Ambien works sometimes. Your body builds up a tolerance to it however.

Turn everything off. The lights from tv, phones, and computers are known to cause sleep problems. Take some melatonin and drink some sleepy tea. Maybe read a book instead. That should knock you out.

Melatonin, magnesium glyconate , and reruns of Law and Order or any similar show

I usually have to have plenty of white noise when I'm in bed or my racing thoughts turn to existential dread. Sometimes killing time in a dim room with a repetitive video game like Tetris can lull me to sleep.

Mmmm... white noise :p 

I tried sleeping with my ear pressed to my shoulder once so I could listen to my heart beating but it proved to be too uncomfortable to maintain for long (I wonder if having a girlfriend would help in that regard?)

Wintermute said:
Mmmm... white noise :p 

I tried sleeping with my ear pressed to my shoulder once so I could listen to my heart beating but it proved to be too uncomfortable to maintain for long (I wonder if having a girlfriend would help in that regard?)

Depends on the person, honestly.

I tried all of the above. Different supplements, including some "legendary" herbal tea by a Chinese expert here in downtown Montreal who guaranteed sleep. I only still get about 3 hours winks a night.
I would assume it varies greatly as to the physical and mental aspect of the person.
So far the only thing that works for me is watching television with a long lasting show in the background to keep my mind occupied, or playing xbox with a slow game with a lot of classical music. I've had a white noise generator that I relegated to the trash. Didn't do anything. Heart beat honestly stresses me lol. I have a rather loud refrigerator and that sound helps me sleep. As well as the sound of people talking.

I don't care for different products or medication all that much, until studies as to the prolonged, longterm use of these products are released. Even something as common and healthy as magnesium supplements have had insufficient studies as to regular consommation of these for decades. Health is not something I consider lightly in these matters and I find we depend more and more on synthetic drugs.

I found that having a girlfriend does help you sleep. Sadly...since I was sleeping everywhere in her face, this led to problems lol.

Trust me I know this feeling all to well the best way to handle this is simply turn everything off put your phone on silent and lay there In the dark maybe try relaxing with the lights off before going to sleep or maybe even a camomile tea 🍵 sooth you to sleep

And try a bath with a muscle relaxing bubble bath 🛀 these always help me goodluck 🤞

Latest posts

Back