FB sucks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doge

Reaction score
People ranting their issues and shiz. Click bait links. Annoying political things. Photos that I don't care about. And generally just annoying stuff. 
Like don't get me wrong fb can be a good tool but it really is just eh

Concur.
I only use it to keep in touch with people I miss. I ignore whatever they post though, because I don't care about their dog Chinko who just turned 4 1/2.

If it was that important, they'd call me, or place an add in the local paper.

Or at the very least use a trumpet and announce it in town square.

I will admit as a perverse pleasure that girls I used to go to high school with posting pictures of their vacations in bikinis is a definite plus :D

I love FB. Its mostly people I know from being a kid or in college. Mostly married with kids. Love seeing all their happy pictures of them, their spouses and children, pets too

It's really hard for me to even begin to calculate how much damage I have done to myself as a result of Facebook...

It's fine... if you don't add any friends or share anything lol.
When I realised people where forming opinions of me based on facebook (particularly my friends list) that was the end.

It's OK. I try and use it to keep in touch with people and to get more info on things I like, by following Pages. And I also try to be careful to avoid certain subjects, like politics or dating, and I also try to avoid complaining too much. I'm definitely more conscious of my image and trying to put a better foot forward, since I was not so careful in the past and didn't realize that in complaining about politics and other issues, I was just making myself look like a loser. I have tried to change my tone and be more mindful of what I post, as part of my overall attempt to take control of the impression I make, to try to get people to see me as someone interesting and someone worth talking to and connecting with.

One thing that really bothers me though, is when I take the time to make a thought-out comment on a post in an attempt to start a conversation, only to not get a reply, or even a "like" or one of the other reactions. It makes me anxious and paranoid as I start asking myself if they are giving me the cold shoulder on purpose. But I guess they could just feel like there's nothing more to say on the topic, or they could also not take Facebook seriously as a form of communication.

TheSkaFish said:
It's OK.  I try and use it to keep in touch with people and to get more info on things I like, by following Pages.  And I also try to be careful to avoid certain subjects, like politics or dating, and I also try to avoid complaining too much.  I'm definitely more conscious of my image and trying to put a better foot forward, since I was not so careful in the past and didn't realize that in complaining about politics and other issues, I was just making myself look like a loser.  I have tried to change my tone and be more mindful of what I post, as part of my overall attempt to take control of the impression I make, to try to get people to see me as someone interesting and someone worth talking to and connecting with.  

See, that's exactly why I don't like facebook; it's not really you.
When I want to get to know someone, I want to get to KNOW someone. That includes quality and defects both. What makes someone special is the ensemble of it, facebook is often carefully crafted images that don't match what people actually are, not to mention the fact they can lie on the internet and you wouldn't notice it.
Which is why I always viewed it as a toy; it's fake. It's not really real and it makes the user partake and believe in that illusion. So for me, facebook is only an extension of the telephone, albeit a really long telephone in the case of friends I've met from another continent, but at some point, I've spoken to all of them.

It's easy to lie, or hide, or pretend on the internet and project something you aren't. Much harder to do so in real life. I also believe it plays disadvantagely, as you say, for the person on the account, because some people judge or evaluate you according to that "not-so-really-accurate" persona that's not really you. Same way if I were judge, good or bad, on this website; I'm NOT Richard_39. I could tell you about me for 30 years, you'll never really know me, the good and the bad, until you spend an hour in a room with me (warning; I fart a lot ;-) )

Paraiyar said:
It's really hard for me to even begin to calculate how much damage I have done to myself as a result of Facebook...

I can agree with you there, Paraiyar.

Three years ago I created a profile on Facebook but could not find any use of that social network.
People did not write to me and I had no friends for communication.
I could not understand what to do there.
So I deleted my profile.

I prefer forums.

I had mine up for family, friends, and work acquaintances. But it started to feel pointless pretty quickly... I decided it was doing more damage than good and deactivated it about six months ago.

Latest posts

Back