Have you ever noticied a slight temporary change in your personality...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I have... Sometimes it lasts longer than other times, indeed, but especially after a long or particularly emotion-invoking series, I do usually find myself feeling different after finishing it.

It's interesting how that works, isn't it? I wonder what kind of mental construct causes the shift.

Soleon said:
I feel like I have... Sometimes it lasts longer than other times, indeed, but especially after a long or particularly emotion-invoking series, I do usually find myself feeling different after finishing it.

It's interesting how that works, isn't it? I wonder what kind of mental construct causes the shift.

Maybe if it's something you really are into you connect emotionally to it, I think that's why people watch so much reality TV. It's all garage to me, but if you connect to it in some way it's bound to effect you, mentally. It might make you feel better about yourself, your life, or make you appreciate something more.

I feel a bit sad and nostalgic depending on the series. There were a few that were really uplifting during hard times, so it was kind of a let-down to realize I didn't have any new ones to watch when I got home.

Not in the sense you intend.
Some tv series have shaped what I've thought about, especially when I was younger, but they do not change me now after watching them.
If you mean mimicking, I believe it's a bleeding effect from the escapism many watch tv series to enjoy. Example, you watch Luther and you admire and even long to be in an adventure like he goes through, feeling you could deal with that instead of your life, so you go around and often employ mannerisms and habits you've seen him use.
That usually goes away after days or weeks. I think that's a normal consequence.

But it doesn't really change what you are. You're still the one deciding to behave that way.

I think its completely normal to have emotional reactions to things we watch on tv. Even un lonely people feel a sense of loss when a series they follow ends or a beloved character leaves the show. I binge watched every episode of LOST in a few weeks and felt a bit LOST when it was over, but I also feel psycho after watching politics for an hour :)

Seahorse said:
I think its completely normal to have emotional reactions to things we watch on tv. Even un lonely people feel a sense of loss when a series they follow ends or a beloved character leaves the show. I binge watched every episode of LOST in a few weeks and felt a bit LOST when it was over, but I also feel psycho after watching politics for an hour :)

I don't think it's possible to watch LOST and not be lost....that show was extremely insane.

The series don't have to be long to have an impact. I remember feeling awful after watching "Thirteen Reasons Why". Some of the stuff in that series hits close to home I guess. Also not a series I would want to re-watch.

athelas88 said:
The series don't have to be long to have an impact. I remember feeling awful after watching "Thirteen Reasons Why". Some of the stuff in that series hits close to home I guess. Also not a series I would want to re-watch.

I refuse to watch that show, but yeah Atypical did that for me.

I notice I sometimes start channeling a lot of characters I click with, and/or share their emotional state.

Like, I just finished rewatching Daria, and I was the most frustrated I've ever been in my life, so naturally a lot of Mr. Demartino's angry STRESSING OF WORDS began to slip into casual speak. And I'm sure my eye would've begun popping out too if it could've, haha.

250px-Demartino.JPG

Latest posts

Back