People open up to me but they don't know anything about me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovableplatypus

Reaction score
This is a weird problem. Many co-workers and friends open up to me about their problems but good things also. They tell me what's up in their lives. Then there's me who never share anything. I listen to them and get to know them but then I realize they don't know pretty much anything about me in return. It's probably because I don't have much stories to tell since nothing ever happens to me.

Not that I have a lot of friends anyway. Sometimes I hate this position that I have. It's like people see me, they come and talk about themselves, then leave. I don't even know how to chime in lol. I don't get the chance.

It's kind of sad how I feel like no one knows me at all. Perhaps my biggest fear is that they judge me. Well, it would be weird to start talking to co workers anymore, wouldn't it? I've been working for almost a year and they don't know me very well. How do I do it? It's so awkward.

Maybe because they don't know me they find it hard to ask me questions about me. Like how was that thing you talked about yesterday, how did it go etc etc but then again I never do anythig so what would I even talk to them about? Hmmhm I'm too awkward for this planet!

lovableplatypus said:
This is a weird problem. Many co-workers and friends open up to me about their problems but good things also. They tell me what's up in their lives. Then there's me who never share anything. I listen to them and get to know them but then I realize they don't know pretty much anything about me in return. It's probably because I don't have much stories to tell since nothing ever happens to me.

Not that I have a lot of friends anyway. Sometimes I hate this position that I have. It's like people see me, they come and talk about themselves, then leave. I don't even know how to chime in lol. I don't get the chance.

It's kind of sad how I feel like no one knows me at all. Perhaps my biggest fear is that they judge me. Well, it would be weird to start talking to co workers anymore, wouldn't it? I've been working for almost a year and they don't know me very well. How do I do it? It's so awkward.

Maybe because they don't know me they find it hard to ask me questions about me. Like how was that thing you talked about yesterday, how did it go etc etc but then again I never do anythig so what would I even talk to them about? Hmmhm I'm too awkward for this planet!

Well, of course, if you shared more they'd be more interested. Ironically, if so many people give you confidences like that, maybe it's an attempt on their part TO get you to open up lol.
Without revealing your life, you might try at say, in a conversation where they ask you for advice, say "Once X thing happened to me, so it made me realize blah blah blah, so maybe it would help you out".
Something like that will turn it from a speech to an exchange instead, I believe.
You can always take some measure of pride in the fact you're apparently a natural confidant and that peope appreciate the fact that you are trustworthy. That's actually hard to find lol.

I was involved in a large social group some years back and found that people blabbed on and on to me. I engaged them in conversation, but not once did any one ask me any thing about my self or remember any thing I told them about my self.

Yeah but whenever I try to tell about myself in the middle of the conversation people just keep talking and whatever I say, they don't hear or listen.

They seem to see me as someone who they can pour their problems to, you know. Like taking out your trash because you don't want that trash in your house anymore.

Latest posts

Back