A wagging tail

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seahorse

I am so grateful for my pets. I have always been a "care taker" now my only care taking responsibities are to my pets. I always adopt seniors. Its often heart breaking as I don't always have them in my life too long

Seahorse said:
I am so grateful for my pets. I have always been a "care taker" now my only care taking responsibities are to my pets. I always adopt seniors. Its often heart breaking as I don't always have them in my life too long

That is a noble thing. You give them so much love at the end of their lives. :)

Hi ...yea why get a puppy when you can give a good home to an older dog .My last three dogs prior to the one we have now were all rescue dogs.All had issues because of past treatment,multiple homes but they all had really great characters.The last one got to 19 and meant my mother had a great companion in her last years.

The pup in my pic was blind and dying of cancer. I only had him 3 months

That is a lot of heartbreak to deal with. I don't think I'd be able to do it. The thought of losing either of my dogs one day terrifies me. I can't even imagine adopting them when you know you'll have to suffer that loss soon. It's a very kind thing you're doing, my heart goes out to you.

Well done Seahorse and all other adopters here :D    

I hear many people say they would never have another dog because of how traumatic it is when they die- I think ive come to terms with this and can accept that's how things are. When I buried my last dog I remember saying 'don't worry Wilf [his name] i'll be along shortly' -recognising my own mortality and how short this life is. My dog at the moment [Murphy] is getting on a bit but he will have a good life and be fondly remembered.

A quote from Kahill Gibran came to mind reading these posts- 'The deeper sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain'

My mum had 2 Alsatians, one of them had to be "put down" just last year because it was really old, towards the end it couldn't even stand up properly. It's great that you adopt older animals but I don't think I could go through that regularly.

I've buried four dogs and three cats over the years. I knew all of them all their lives and attended the birth of two. It's part of being family with animals who are shorter lived than us. Having to say goodbye to them is the price we pay for knowing the joy of them.

Latest posts

Back