I am so socially awkward around females my age...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alonelyshyboy

Reaction score
Today as I was leaving work, I left just after a female colleague of mine whom is roughly the same age as myself. Anyway, as I approached the foyer area where the lifts were, I looked at her but couldn't say anything. As we got into the lift, I didn't say anything and when we both left, I didn't say anything, nor even look at her. I hate being so shy/socially anxious around females. There was also another guy that got into the lift and I think that he was a minor factor in me not saying anything to my work colleague.

Now she is going to think that I either like her, or am just a snob and don't want to talk to her. :(

I want to make it clear that I don't have any interest in her romantically - workplace romance = no no. However, she is rather cute and quite petite - something I find very attractive.

How can I make it be known that I am not a snob?

I wouldn't worry too much about that, at times we keep to ourselves and the thing is that at that moment it isn't really important. Hey she could have been the first to take a step to say hello to you, did you think about that. It usually takes alot of times seeing someone before you bridge the gap and finally say something. Just start off with a smile or an acknowledgement and see how that goes, when you bump into her often enough then you may be able to say a little bit more. Stop being so hard on yourself.

alonelyshyboy said:
How can I make it be known that I am not a snob?

Start talking to people. Just drop a simple "hi". once you do it youl realise it wasnt so bad, and you might even get a convo out of it, which will do wonders for your self esteem.

Also, im sure they would notice your very shy and not a snob, you can tell the difference.

or even "hoooooooooh im so tired" works great. its just general smalltalk, doesnt put her on the spot, and she would probably be tired after a day of work too(who isnt!)

you put too much pressure onto a relationship. If you just look at women as normal people and don't consider every one of them as a potential mate... it gets a lot easier to talk to them.

The problem is your thinking too irrationally probably because of your social anxiety if you do have it. You *think* she think you are a snob, but it usually the opposite.

honestly if you just talk to every woman out there, stop considering every one of them as a potential mate... talking to them will get easier. There is nothing wrong with just being friends with someone of the opposite sex.

Don't think so much. Just go with the flow. Let your mind do as it pleases. Let your tongue roll as it likes. Let the words come out like they do. If you're really not interested in her, no small talk is bad talk.

Always start with a hi! what that dose is it shows the person your open for conversation. Thats all you have to say. IF you don't say anything else thats fine. And you can say it the next time you see her and still leave it as that. Start slow with them. You don't need to be this awesome conversationalist.

Latest posts

Back