Work Spouses

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
I've been hearing about this a lot recently. It's supposed to be a close co-worker you turn to for company and support.

Opinions? Is it intended to be pseudo-romantic or just therapeutic to have this kind of person at work? Either way, I think I need to get me one for morning coffee.

Tealeaf said:
I've been hearing about this a lot recently. It's supposed to be a close co-worker you turn to for company and support.

Opinions? Is it intended to be pseudo-romantic or just therapeutic to have this kind of person at work? Either way, I think I need to get me one for morning coffee.

LOL Hell no, not for me.
I work to live, I don't live to work. If I end up having one of those I'm going to see a shrink lol.
There's family and then there's co-workers; I see family because I want to; I see co-workers because I HAVE to. The day I retire, besides a few specific ones, I doubt I'll want to see any of them ever again.

But, you know, that's me. I guess it would be beneficial for some people.
On that note, time for another coffee too.

Recently, I've been able to vent to an older coworker now and again (who, in turn, will vent to me). I suppose she's more like a work aunt or mother than a work spouse. But yes, she's the only one I really confide in. Not that I dislike the rest of my coworkers, but I don't know them well enough for "serious chats".

I guess I have a work bruh, and it's not pseudo-romantic, and I really hope it stays that way!
I'd say a work spouse could be good... quicky after lunch to give you energy for the rest of the day :p, but just a therapeutic vent will do I guess...

My husband works with me. I don't actually see him since we teach on different floors of the school. I have a work mom and dad really. I vent to them.

Sounds like emotional cheating too me. I'm not surprised considering that over half of marriages are miserable.

When did cheating become part of this? I always assumed it was between single co-workers, but I guess it's unrealistic to think all will be.

I have a work husband but I don't like it. Basically I provide him support and company all day long and then, he goes home to his wife and children. What a deal!! I go home to a vacant house.

I hate it really but when you are in a workplace you kind of have to. Someone tries to be "friendly" and you can't just tell them to F** off because they work with you and aren't going anyplace.

And yes, my work husband is MISERABLE with his family. But, they still get him his dinner and I have to make mine. He does nothing for me. Just uses me. If he could get sex he would. Just too cowardly to try so he just takes my companionship.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
I have a work husband but I don't like it.  Basically I provide him support and company all day long and then, he goes home to his wife and children. What a deal!! I go home to a vacant house.

I hate it really but when you are in a workplace you kind of have to. Someone tries to be "friendly" and you can't just tell them to F** off because they work with you and aren't going anyplace.

And yes, my work husband is MISERABLE with his family. But, they still get him his dinner and I have to make mine. He does nothing for me. Just uses me. If he could get sex he would. Just too cowardly to try so he just takes my companionship.

I like to talk to you when you get home and lonely ad bored, just talking and make you smile with respect and discretion I dont want make trouble with your husband..? Ricardo

Nope. As Mulder said, "Trust no one."

I'm with Richard on this.

Work nowadays is like a tactical undertaking.

One of my work husbands in the past became my proper boyfriend but when we broke up (it was a bad break up), I had to quit. Couldn't work near him anymore. So ever since then, I've avoided forming close relationships with colleagues. Male or female.

I work with my wife every Friday morning.Sometimes I wanna squeeze her bum if security cameras not around...other times she just glares at me all morning when I'm really annoying  :p.She hates being told what to do but is a great motivator when I'm feeling really fed up with work or someone at work.

Personally, I'm not a fan. It can quickly complicate initial work relationships and result in hurt feelings which makes going to work more stressful than needed. Especially if that work spouse is in your department.

I've had someone mistake common pleasantries and sharing an occasional laugh reason enough to send me Skype messages and emails throughout the day filled with their problems and casual flirting. After politely asking them to remain casual acquaintances and keep the interaction to small talk and professional  subjects, there is increased hostility in our interactions, whether they are work related or not. I think being a bit closed off inside corporate walls is healthy.

I swear I'm not a cold, callous individual!  :p

Latest posts

Back