I'm so much of a loner it's taken me four months to post

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbnInf

Reaction score
Yeah, I registered in November and this is my first post haha.

So my story. I'm 50 years old, I have a 24y/o daughter, 3 grandbabies and I've never been married. My daughters mother left me for another guy just before we were going to get married, when my daughter was 3 months old. After that I told myself that would never happen again. The last time I had a girlfriend was in 2002. She was perfect but by then I was so depressed I just wanted to be alone all the time. When I left her I said if I couldn't make it work with that girl then I may as well give up. Haven't had a date since. I was a 6 pack a night guy (drinking alone of course) for years until 2003 then I quit and haven't touched alcohol since. That improved my life but didn't get me out of my shell.

I was in the army for 24 years and retired in 2010. I've lost touch with every army buddy I ever had. Then I moved home to Dallas and managed a motorcycle shop. That was cool but I'm such a loner that I never really made any friends, I never hung out with anyone.

Four years ago I moved to N.C. to be near my daughter and I'll never leave her again. I haven't worked and live comfortably off my pension. But this is a small town with not much to do (and no cool jobs), and since I don't work I don't have any way to meet people. Not that I would hang out with anybody anyway. I am the main babysitter for my grandkids and have them multiple times a week. Besides them I have absolutely no life. I don't have one single buddy and spend my days watching television and riding my bike alone. That's it.

Now I feel like my life is frozen in time. Besides being a grandad I have no purpose. I have nothing to stress about, I can live fine and never have to work another day, but the sick feeling in the stomach depression is creeping in again. I keep hoping that someday a girl will pop up in my life and sweep me off of my feet. But I know that will never happen when I don't even go out anywhere. I don't even know why I'm typing all this but I guess if anyone can relate this seems to be the place.

Hi there and welcome to ALL.
While our situations differ wildly, I can relate. It's more or less my life right now, besides the fact that I work, hate it and socialize at it only when absolutely necessary. I recently joined a men's support group to help me out, you might want to consider doing the same, it might not help, but then again, it might.
And cool, motorcycle dude :). I know nothing of it, but I know I like it lol.
Again welcome!

Hi Abnlnf

Hi mate welcome and good luck on the forum.Just a thought have you got any clubs that relate to your bike.We've got cafes like the Ace and Boxhill in London and the few times I've been they've been swamped by Harleys...jap bike clubs and the like.I don't belong to one myself ,don't like group rides just ride to work occasionally but always get chatting about my Thundercat when I meet other bikers . I think my carbs need balancing because cutting out low down so off the road at the moment can't wait for summer    :D bikers friendliest people especially when bacon bap and tea being consumed...Just a thought.

Joturbo said:
Hi Abnlnf

Hi mate welcome and good luck on the forum.Just a thought have you got any clubs that relate to your bike.We've got cafes like the Ace and Boxhill in London and the few times I've been they've been swamped by Harleys...jap bike clubs and the like.I don't belong to one myself ,don't like group rides just ride to work occasionally but always get chatting about my Thundercat when I meet other bikers . I think my carbs need balancing because cutting out low down so off the road at the moment can't wait for summer    :D bikers friendliest people especially when bacon bap and tea being consumed...Just a thought.

Well I rode sport bikes and I even had a track bike and would do a trackday once a month. But right before I moved here I had another close call with death, I was a split second away from hitting a deer head on which would have killed me instantly. So I sold my bikes.

I am into cycling and with all the time on my hands I ride 300-800 miles a month. There's a cycling club that meets about 40 minutes away and I've been following their facebook page for four years. But I've just never got enough motivation to hook up with them. I'm just horrible around a bunch of people I don't know, I never know what to say or how to act. I'm a classic loner. I wasn't like that in my younger days. I wish I would be like I once was.

AbnInf said:
Joturbo said:
Hi Abnlnf

Well I rode sport bikes and I even had a track bike and would do a trackday once a month. But right before I moved here I had another close call with death, I was a split second away from hitting a deer head on which would have killed me instantly. So I sold my bikes.

I am into cycling and with all the time on my hands I ride 300-800 miles a month. There's a cycling club that meets about 40 minutes away and I've been following their facebook page for four years. But I've just never got enough motivation to hook up with them. I'm just horrible around a bunch of people I don't know, I never know what to say or how to act. I'm a classic loner. I wasn't like that in my younger days. I wish I would be like I once was.

Yes who needs motorbikes ...bloody dangerous  still surprised I haven't crashed yet even riding like a granny round corners like I do.Alot of mature bicycle groups my way on Sundays but do they go fast down the hills..scarey.Sorry can't help with the mixing with new people I'm rubbish at that.Sure someone will be along to help soon I'm sure :)

You say you managed a motorcycle shop and live in a small town with not much to do, coming from and still living in a small town myself I know that problem very well, it is especially bad to have nothing to do for the lonely, and for teens... think about how teen life is like in such a town, not even a mall to hang at, they don't care about nature and trials. They want something to do, something they can do with others and sports just isn't to everyone liking.

I've often fantasized about setting up a learning/hobby garage where youth could work on a project under supervision, and that could ring in some money by renting out space for restorations or people wanting to service their cars on their own, around here not everyone has a garage or room to do anything other than check tire pressure and oil levels :p

Anyway, that is something of a dream of mine, probably the worst business plan ever as I myself don't see how it would make enough money to e profitable :p

What I should have said is, welcome to ALL!

AbnInf said:
Yeah, I registered in November and this is my first post haha.

So my story. I'm 50 years old, I have a 24y/o daughter, 3 grandbabies and I've never been married. My daughters mother left me for another guy just before we were going to get married, when my daughter was 3 months old. After that I told myself that would never happen again. The last time I had a girlfriend was in 2002.".........................

AbnInf,,,,,wish you and I could have a coffee,,,,,,probably got more in common than you think.
I quit the 6 pack in 97,,,, married very miserably for 43 years,,,,,what kind of bike you got,,,,I want to get a new one when I retire, but not as long as I am married.

Latest posts

Back