Embracing newfound loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsfade

Reaction score
I hadn't logged onto this site since 2016. I found it in 2011. I was always the kind of person that people generally thought was a good guy but that never equated to people becoming friends with me. Most folks were always basically acquaintances. This started to look up as an undergrad, I started to make friends. But at that time I was also a huge pushover, having people who I really liked and who liked me made me think that I should always do what other folks wanted or be "down" for things I didn't care for. Eventually I started to find myself, became a little more self reassured and confident in saying no and voicing my concerns. Some of those earlier friends have become life long friends who were surprised years later when I said how I always hated doing "thing x" or going to "restaurant y" in the early years of our friendships. Anyways, I finished grad school at the end of last year and made some very good friends during my time there, folks who I'll still see from time to time and and we'll reconnect when we're in the same part of the country. I'm starting my professional phase of my life, and I'm currently working through a professional rut trying to figure I am doing and where I am going and I'm slowly moving out of it after a successful job interview and a subsequent offer that I turned down which helped me to stop and reevaluate my life and relationships. My friends are all now scattered or married or starting their careers so its back to more solitary time and less outings. I'm currently working as a freelancer and I'm traveling, meeting random people and learning their stories and struggles (I do social justice based work) and embracing this newfound loneliness and solitude and enjoying it while hustle and I find myself. It's been a trip to get to this new place.

kingsfade said:
I hadn't logged onto this site since 2016. I found it in 2011. I was always the kind of person that people generally thought was a good guy but that never equated to people becoming friends with me. Most folks were always basically acquaintances. This started to look up as an undergrad, I started to make friends. But at that time I was also a huge pushover, having people who I really liked and who liked me made me think that I should always do what other folks wanted or be "down" for things I didn't care for. Eventually I started to find myself, became a little more self reassured and confident in saying no and voicing my concerns. Some of those earlier friends have become life long friends who were surprised years later when I said how I always hated doing "thing x" or going to "restaurant y" in the early years of our friendships. Anyways, I finished grad school at the end of last year and made some very good friends during my time there, folks who I'll still see from time to time and and we'll reconnect when we're in the same part of the country. I'm starting my professional phase of my life, and I'm currently working through a professional rut trying to figure I am doing and where I am going and I'm slowly moving out of it after a successful job interview and a subsequent offer that I turned down which helped me to stop and reevaluate my life and relationships. My friends are all now scattered or married or starting their careers so its back to more solitary time and less outings. I'm currently working as a freelancer and I'm traveling, meeting random people and learning their stories and struggles (I do social justice based work) and embracing this newfound loneliness and solitude and enjoying it while hustle and I find myself. It's been a trip to get to this new place.

I understand how you feel, kingsfade; I am in a bit of the same position myself. I am wary of people taking advantage of me and it's hard to trust others, and with old friends getting scattered and falling out of touch, it's easy to find your way here. I know I keep finding my way here.

Latest posts

Back