The sun....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief broom

Reaction score
came shining softly through my window today ....Its been a hard winter here in the Highlands and slipping/sliding and freezing ones proverbials can get a bit wearisome after a while-there may still be some cold blasts but the season is progressing and it wont persist. What I'm really looking forward to is the return of the ospreys, toward the end of the month i'll be scanning the sky looking for a familiar outline. Theres a large female I would see regularly last year and hope to again- its a hazardous lifestyle being an osprey, alls sorts of perils to avoid in there migrations. I only have a modest camera to take pics with and even less skill but one in a hundred shots might be passable. The following pic I was quite pleased with- I crept through the grass with a bemused Murphy [my dog] in tow and when I arose to take the shot the bird saw me and lifted off as I pressed the button. Fishing for me also commences around April so I do have a kind of affinity with ospreys and I like there style  :D

**** you. I now wish I was anywhere else than where I'm at now lol.

Sidenote, I also now want a dog named Murphy.
The Scottish Highlands? I'm looking at picture and that is EXACTLY why it's my dream to retire there. I mean, LOOK at that. Can anyone say they couldn't spend an entire lifetime waking up there and being happy? Magnificient!

Hee hee Hi Richard I didn't mean to make anyone feel dissatisfied with there current location! Anyhow theres plenty of room up here, I often wonder why there aren't more people in the highlands its got a lot going for it. Heres Embo beach on a crowded day......

HAHA! OH NO! I don't want more people in the Highlands, just me walking as you're doing would suit me just fine! (plus, if possible, relatively easy access to the best Scotch that exists on the Earth :) )

Lovely pics, lovely dog, lovely location - been there once and it's just as wonderful as your pics portray - many thanks for making this girl smile today :)

Jently said:
Lovely pics, lovely dog, lovely location - been there once and it's just as wonderful as your pics portray - many thanks for making this girl smile today :)

Man, how uncourteous of me! The same as well, I only suspected I wanted to retire there, now I KNOW I want to. Here's to one of the most beautiful places on Earth ;-)

Richard_39 said:

The Scottish Highlands? I'm looking at picture and that is EXACTLY why it's my dream to retire there. I mean, LOOK at that. Can anyone say they couldn't spend an entire lifetime waking up there and being happy? Magnificient!

Richard_39 said:
Jently said:

Man, how uncourteous of me! The same as well, I only suspected I wanted to retire there, now I KNOW I want to. Here's to one of the most beautiful places on Earth ;-)

Youre welcome  :)

Chief broom said:
Richard_39 said:

Richard_39 said:
Jently said:

Youre welcome  :)

That is a big eagle yes?  I experienced a  red kite dropping like a stone not far from me to pick up something live a couple of years ago...scared the scrap out of me,now if that swooped or dropped well even though I've beconed a crow onto my shoulder when I was a kid I'd be out of there if that came anywhere near all credit to you.....

How do you cope with being alone there at night if you don't mind me asking......idk strange noises outside etc?

Hi Joturbo its an osprey, heres a sea eagle with a kite top left, sea eagles can have a wingspan over 8ft! Strange noises? I live in a cabin with a few houses around- no strange noises!

Oh WOW. What gorgeous photographs, and as for the scenery..... I am most envious. Looks so peaceful and relaxing

Chief broom said:
Hi Joturbo its an osprey, heres a sea eagle with a kite top left, sea eagles can have a wingspan over 8ft!   Strange noises? I live in a cabin with a few houses around- no strange noises!

Eight foot.....I get nervous when a robin stands on my spade...keep the photos coming please they're are lovely to see

Where my dad lives, even though it's a bit more urban, we have to be careful of coyotees and in the morning, the occasional brown or black bear. Of course, they tend to stay away from humans, but a real hungry and angry pack of coyotees when you don't have a gun to scare them off must be terrifying. We often hear them howling at night behind the house. More weird and "werewolf attack" than anything lol.
Bears however, another matter entirely...you do NOT want to be within sight of a bear without a weapon or a place to hide. If he or she decides to take an interest in you or that you're a threat, you're dead. They run faster and farther, one swipe of those hand can kill a man easy and if like a lot of people think, you play dead, it might just eat you lol.

We get bear warnings and are told when to keep indoors. My dad always keeps a gun, unloaded but with the bullets handy, hidden in the house to anyone but himself, in case something happens. North America can be dangerous up North. But I haven't heard much of that about Scotland and I mean, look at those vistas....

Thanks for the comments everyone! No bears here - its not like the wilds of Canada/Alaska, I mean I can pop a mile down the road for a pint of milk and some chocolate digestives! It is beautiful and rich in wildlife- I see otters quite a lot and occasionly a white tailed eagle will fly over when I'm out fishing -that's always a treat.

Chief broom said:
Thanks for the comments everyone! No bears here - its not like the wilds of Canada/Alaska, I mean I can pop a mile down the road for a pint of milk and some chocolate digestives! It is beautiful and rich in wildlife- I see otters quite a lot and occasionly a white tailed eagle will fly over when I'm out fishing -that's always a treat.

HAHA! Look at that guy lol. Awesome. Most totally awesome.

Hey, I got a question, a friend of mine said the only problem with the Highlands was a critter of some sort. I'm trying to remember her...like, I don't know, an insect that can destroy stuff? I have "hives" in my mind, but that's not the right word, I know it's a seasonal thing, apparently because it has a tendency to stay cool all the time over there. Do you have that problem, do you know what I'm talking about?

Hi Richard, the critters are midges- little biting flys smaller than mosquito's. Theyre mainly on the west coast and can be absolutely wicked- enough to drive anyone crazy! Anti midge cream is essential and even with this they can be extremely irritating. The east side is not as scenic as the west but doesn't have so many midges or rain.

Chief broom said:
Hi Richard, the critters are midges- little biting flys smaller than mosquito's. Theyre mainly on the west coast and can be absolutely wicked-  enough to drive anyone crazy!  Anti midge cream is essential and even with this they can be extremely irritating. The east side is not as scenic as the west but doesn't have so many midges or rain.

MIDGES! Thank you. I didn't remember the term. A friend of mine who lives in the highlands was telling me about them and considering up north where my dad lives, the main problem is mosquitoes (and not like, a few; THOUSANDS, starting at around 10, you can't walk around without anti-mosquito cream or a net on your head during the warm days, unless you stay in the blazing sun, which gets impossible to live in at around noon). I figured it couldn't be as bad, but he said it's quite a big thing with midges. Do they sting, are they like, not poisoneous, but can you get infections or somesuch from those? That's a problem now with mosquitoes, we've had warnings that some are carriers of the Nile virus and we have to be careful now not to get stung (they love me, I usually get stung at least 50 times in a weekend lol. Fresh city blood and all that ;-) )

Richard_39 said:
Chief broom said:
Hi Richard, the critters are midges- little biting flys smaller than mosquito's. Theyre mainly on the west coast and can be absolutely wicked-  enough to drive anyone crazy!  Anti midge cream is essential and even with this they can be extremely irritating. The east side is not as scenic as the west but doesn't have so many midges or rain.

MIDGES! Thank you. I didn't remember the term. A friend of mine who lives in the highlands was telling me about them and considering up north where my dad lives, the main problem is mosquitoes (and not like, a few; THOUSANDS, starting at around 10, you can't walk around without anti-mosquito cream or a net on your head during the warm days, unless you stay in the blazing sun, which gets impossible to live in at around noon). I figured it couldn't be as bad, but he said it's quite a big thing with midges. Do they sting, are they like, not poisoneous, but can you get infections or somesuch from those? That's a problem now with mosquitoes, we've had warnings that some are carriers of the Nile virus and we have to be careful now not to get stung (they love me, I usually get stung at least 50 times in a weekend lol. Fresh city blood and all that ;-) )

Just buy yourself a lifetime supply of Marmite and they never touch you . I've never been bitten even when surrounded by swarms of the blighters and others are being eaten alive, so my food addiction is a great deterrent.  :D

Hi Jently thanks for the tip but I think its more down to the fact you have a natural immunity rather than marmite being a deterent. I can imagine slavering myself in marmite from head to toe [not a pretty sight] and the little feckers would still eat me alive. I remember camping on skye once and hearing screams and shrieks from nearby campers as the midges descended- I walked over and gave them satchets of heavy duty jungle formula which saved them from jumping of the nearest cliff to end the torment! I don't reckon there is a natural non toxic answer but will give marmite a try- if it doesn't work at least i'll have had my vitamin b12 for the day!

Latest posts

Back