Warning! Old fart rant ahead

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seahorse

At the ripe old age of 44, I am an old fart. I think technology in regards to communicating with others has made people lazy and complacent. When I was in college we didn't have the internet or even cell phones, we had home phones, not even caller ID, so if the phone rang you answered it..imagine that lol. I often sit in my yard and hear this odd sound...what's that sound? Oh its my retired next door neighbors home phone ringing:) even facebook has gone from people commenting on posts to just posting an emoticon reaction. Don't get me started on dating sites which I think you should HAVE to actually write to some one, not swipe left or right or favorite some one. 
Despite having been banned several times on this site through not fault but my own, I keep coming back because people actually communicate with each other. Rant over. Thanks for reading.

Hi Seahorse I enjoyed the rant  :D  Glad to hear I'm not the only one that isn't enamoured of todays 'communication'. I'm rapidly becoming a technophobe and wish I was born in the age of horses and quill pens you dipped in ink.... I had to call the AA out today as my car refused to start- the line was anwered by machine and I had to go through a series of options ie select 1 or 2 or 3 then the next lot aghhh in the meantime my phone battery is running low / I'm miles from anywhere / just want to tell another human being where I am...
What I find incredible is that with all the fantastic tech innovations its damned hard to speak directly to someone whether its paying a bill or finding out why that parcel hasn't come. I guess younger people know how the 'machine' works and what buttons to push- but hell its to late for me [and I also cant be arsed] . I want to be on my own 'island' of self sufficiency where I can devolve into a simpler life form....where I can worry about things like which tomato seeds to grow or will tomorrow be a good day to catch a trout.......hey..im...on.. a... rant too... :rolleyes: :D  **** borg collective...assimilating everything....  :rolleyes: :D

Chief broom said:
Hi Seahorse I enjoyed the rant  :D  Glad to hear I'm not the only one that isn't enamoured of todays 'communication'. I'm rapidly becoming a technophobe and wish I was born in the age of horses and quill pens you dipped in ink.... I had to call the AA out today as my car refused to start- the line was anwered by machine and I had to go through a series of options ie select 1 or 2 or 3 then the next lot aghhh in the meantime my phone battery is running low / I'm miles from anywhere / just want to tell another human being where I am...
What I find incredible is that with all the fantastic tech innovations its damned hard to speak directly to someone whether its paying a bill or finding out why that parcel hasn't come. I guess younger people know how the 'machine' works and what buttons to push- but hell its to late for me [and I also cant be arsed] . I want to be on my own 'island' of self sufficiency where I can devolve into a simpler life form....where I can worry about things like which tomato seeds to grow or will tomorrow be a good day to catch a trout.......hey..im...on.. a... rant too... :rolleyes: :D  **** borg collective...assimilating everything....  :rolleyes: :D
Did you resolve your car problem?

Ha, not usually here on weekends but poppednin for a peak, quick comment. I reach your reasonning on social media and communications, have a tidbid you could probably look up. I read somewhere, dont remember what article, that predicts the rather soon demise of sovial media, facebook and etc. You might want to have a read at it, I believe it will happen soonerthan we all think.

Well, I'm off back to devising multiverse theories lol.

Thanks, yes I did- starter motor was knackered but AA guy helped bump start it to get home. Often phone connectivity is limited here- which could be a big problem especially in severe weather. I'm going to get a Toyota camper so if I break down i'll just make a cuppah tea and enjoy the view!

Richard_39 said:
Ha, not usually here on weekends but poppednin for a peak, quick comment. I reach your reasonning on social media and communications, have a tidbid you could probably look up. I read somewhere, dont remember what article, that predicts the rather soon demise of sovial media, facebook and etc. You might want to have a read at it, I believe it will happen soonerthan we all think.

Well, I'm off back to devising multiverse theories lol.

Hello Richard... As I keep saying , the sooner the both of us find a normal job, the better off we will both be :)

Yay, i'm not the only technophobe on the planet:)
Actually that's not true because i'd be lost without my best friend lappie, but the other stuff is outside my remit and definitely detrimental to the human condition, in my opinion, although I know the younger peeps would most definitely disagree.
I guess it's what you're accustomed to at the end of the day and we all know people a generation or two older than us who think 'things were better in our day', so we're just continuing that generational pattern.
Anyway, good to see you back Seahorse......keep on posting so this old fart knows she's among people of a similar mindset won't you :)

Chief broom said:
Thanks, yes I did- starter motor was knackered but AA guy helped bump start it to get home. Often phone connectivity is limited here- which could be a big problem especially in severe weather. I'm going to get a Toyota  camper so if I break down i'll just make a cuppah tea and enjoy the view!

Glad you are ok

Seahorse said:
Chief broom said:
Thanks, yes I did- starter motor was knackered but AA guy helped bump start it to get home. Often phone connectivity is limited here- which could be a big problem especially in severe weather. I'm going to get a Toyota  camper so if I break down i'll just make a cuppah tea and enjoy the view!

Glad you are ok
I grew up in England so I understand knackered and a cuppa :)

My greatest dream is to be in a forest, middle of nowhere, with pretty much only cable, a telephone line, no internet (except maybe to watch some new movies, but that wouldn't have happened if modern times hadn't cause **** video stores to all close and go out of business, or modern consoles to be online all the time and games to work with 20 patches instead of having something like a nintendo which is "buy and play") but apart from that, zilch. I'm very warry of technology. Specifically because I'm only 3 courses away in my younger days from having a degree in computer sciences...

Technology is going faster than our ability to properly utilize it or control it. It's also not safe. In the sense that I would NEVER think about making a financial transaction online or through a cellphone. The technology isn't safe and they don't offer guarantees (when they do, they usually reneg anyway). There is a lot to be worried about, which would probably, you know, classify me in the colum of the conspiracy theorists. Except the vast majority of them are wrong and totally besides the track with their half-assed theories of technological or governement control lol. But danger exist, nonetheless, in more ways than one and in a more damaging way most theorist could ever perceive, we notice every day.

I don't know much, but one thing I DO know; listening to an ACDC record on actual vinyl in the middle of the forest on a rocking chair is probably the closest I'll ever come to actual Heaven.

Only problem is, if you go old school and visit a physical bank branch to make a deposit or withdrawal, they just process it over the same internet anyway.

Anyway, AC/DC, you say?  Have some early 70s Melbourne....

[YOUTUBE]-sUXMzkh-jI[/YOUTUBE]

Latest posts

Back