For those who are happy with solitude

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seahorse

I would really like to hear from those who are happy with their solitude or isolation. Are you a loner and this is your choice? Or is it something you grew to accept?
I'm in a situation where trying to change my long term isolation is causing me  depression. I need to accept my situation while not feeling like I'm giving up. Its not my prerence to be alone every single day, but I have to accept it and at least try to enjoy my life, because its the only one I have. I do accept that I don't have any one who would be there if I needed some one, but that's just a part of life for some, but does make me worry a lot.

I really just want to hear some positive stories, so I can change my mindset from fighting my circumstances to accepting them. Thanks

I have always been the type to solve my own problems, accept situations I truly have no control over. Its how I found this site some months ago, Googling about dealing with loneliness and social isolation and most of what's written is how damaging it is and how to reach out and solve it... I kept trying to solve it, now I just want to accept it and find some happiness

Why do you have to accept it? It's one thing if you WANT to be alone, but as long as you don't want to be alone, I don't really thing that is something you will be able to accept.
There was a point where I was scared of being alone, I didn't want to be alone, it hurt to be alone. Took me about 2 years to be okay with not having anyone. Took another 2 to be okay with myself. It's not an easy thing to do and I doubt it ever will be.

As for suggestions, I guess you need to figure out how to like yourself...don't say you do because in my experience, I don't think you can like yourself all that much if you don't want to be alone with yourself, if that makes sense. Figure out how to be happy....okay, we'll go with the word content....with yourself, by yourself. Find things to do to keep you going. Stay busy. I think that's the main thing. If you give yourself down time, you are going to think and we all know where that generally tends to lead.

But honestly, if you don't want to be alone, I don't think you should accept it. Just keep trying.

Callie, to be perfectly honest with you my bad attitude and depression has becomes worse the more I try to change the circumstances that cause my loneliness and isolation, e.g. finding a decent job instead of working for my self, trying to date or meet new people. I have spent many long periods of many being isolated, but didn't feel lonely because I always believed things would get better

I who only have one personal relationship, a 'romantic friend', have accepted that i'm probably always going to spending most of my time alone. I've accepted it but I'm not happy with it. However I'm contented with it.
I do look forward to time spent with the lady and with my public service volunteering...it's a big deal for me. And I enjoy thinking about it afterward when I'm alone again.
Those occasions are probably more important for me than than they are for the people whom I share those times with. I've accepted that too.

This is the life that I've got. Oddly, I seem to be fairly well liked by those very few people whom I'm acquainted with. I suppose I could work with that and develop a more active social life somehow, but I'm OK with usually being alone.

constant stranger said:
I who only have one personal relationship, a 'romantic friend', have accepted that i'm probably always going to spending most of my time alone.  I've accepted it but I'm not happy with it.  However I'm contented with it.
I do look forward to time spent with the lady and with my public service volunteering...it's a big deal for me.  And I enjoy thinking about it afterward when I'm alone again.
Those occasions are probably more important for me than than they are for the people whom I share those times with.  I've accepted that too.

This is the life that I've got.  Oddly, I seem to be fairly well liked by those very few people whom I'm acquainted with.  I suppose I could work with that and develop a more active social life somehow, but I'm OK with usuall
Thank you for sharing

I think that's a problem a lot of people have, actually. They want to be HAPPY, they want to have this huge circle of friends and have this and that and when it doesn't happen quickly, they get discouraged. I think a lot of it stems from trying too hard, they kind of try to force it to happen, in a way.
Things are the way they are, you can only do so much, so if it happens, it happens. Stop expecting it to happen, stop focusing so much on it happening, stop thinking that's the only way you will be "happy." Happiness is overrated, in my opinion. You should definitely aim for being content, but you have to learn how to accept yourself first. Make sure things are in your life that you can be proud of, like adopting your senior dogs. Do you, by chance, volunteer at animal shelters? That could be a good way to meet new people, but don't do it with the intent to meet people, do it because you enjoy it.

TheRealCallie said:
I think that's a problem a lot of people have, actually.  They want to be HAPPY, they want to have this huge circle of friends and have this and that and when it doesn't happen quickly, they get discouraged.  I think a lot of it stems from trying too hard, they kind of try to force it to happen, in a way.  
Things are the way they are, you can only do so much, so if it happens, it happens.  Stop expecting it to happen, stop focusing so much on it happening, stop thinking that's the only way you will be "happy."  Happiness is overrated, in my opinion. You should definitely aim for being content, but you have to learn how to accept yourself first.  Make sure things are in your life that you can be proud of, like adopting your senior dogs.  Do you, by chance, volunteer at animal shelters?  That could be a good way to meet new people, but don't do it with the intent to meet people, do it because you enjoy it.
I don't need a large amount of friends. I had that in the past , but they disappeared when times were tough. I'd be happy with one or 2 friends, preferably some one reliable, but for now I NEED to stop feeling angry for what is lacking and enjoy my self again. I certainly appreciate you replying.

For me it came with figuring out what I want to do, setting goals, accomplishing them, rolling with the punches, not beating myself up, chasing interesting opportunities.

Also a bit of existential trinity father/ holy spirit type realizations. Stepping outside of myself as an observer thats is observing myself while simultaneously being myself. Contemplating the nature of what/ who that observer is. 

So basically when I'm by myself I'm there as both 3rd party observer connected to something much bigger and also there as myself in the first person.

Anyways... I spend a lot of my time just hanging out by myself feeling warm and fuzzy and content and honeysuckle.

The rest of the time I'm working on my business or doing random things or taking whatever opportunities come around that look interesting.

I still have occasional bouts of loneliness but they aren't that bad compared to how they used to be. And I'm able to snap out of it almost as soon as I realize it's happening. Overall life has gotten pretty easy and carefree which probably helps with the whole being happy in solitude thing.  :p

kamya said:
For me it came with figuring out what I want to do, setting goals, accomplishing them, rolling with the punches, not beating myself up, chasing interesting opportunities.

Also a bit of existential trinity father/ holy spirit type realizations. Stepping outside of myself as an observer thats is observing myself while simultaneously being myself. Contemplating the nature of what/ who that observer is. 

So basically when I'm by myself I'm there as both 3rd party observer connected to something much bigger and also there as myself in the first person.

Anyways... I spend a lot of my time just hanging out by myself feeling warm and fuzzy and content and honeysuckle.

The rest of the time I'm working on my business or doing random things or taking whatever opportunities come around that look interesting.

I still have occasional bouts of loneliness but they aren't that bad compared to how they used to be. And I'm able to snap out of it almost as soon as I realize it's happening. Overall life has gotten pretty easy and carefree which probably helps with the whole being happy in solitude thing.  :p

Thank you for your reply

I suppose my situational feelings are altered now, but I've always preferred being by myself for the most part. It's a bit one-sided for me, because I'm usually there for the people I know when they need or want to talk to someone or about something. But on that flip side, I feel like the rare times I'd like to talk about something, no one can ever be there. I can't change how people are, so I just started to prefer not bothering with people. I'm perfectly fine with it. I've never felt like anything was missing. Keeping conversation light with most people is the better thing to do, anyway.

VanillaCreme said:
I suppose my situational feelings are altered now, but I've always preferred being by myself for the most part. It's a bit one-sided for me, because I'm usually there for the people I know when they need or want to talk to someone or about something. But on that flip side, I feel like the rare times I'd like to talk about something, no one can ever be there. I can't change how people are, so I just started to prefer not bothering with people. I'm perfectly fine with it. I've never felt like anything was missing. Keeping conversation light with most people is the better thing to do, anyway.

Thank you for your reply. I can relate to being there for others, but they aren't there to lend an ear when you need it

I'm the most introverted person that I know, that has a lot of weight on how isolated I am. I have bursts of energy that makes things easier, but it's still a huge part of why I can't have many friends and definitely why I can't have high maintenance friends.
I'm also very quiet about my own life... I don't trust people easily and I really dislike showing any vulnerabilities, that puts a high amount of people off of trying to get to know me, hardly surprising, I'll work for it if I really wanna know more about them, though.
Because of past experiences, other parts of my life have to develop really slowly -- I'm an easily spooked person.

All of those things make it very easy for me to embrace solitude, it's basically my comfort zone. Now, that also means that I don't have many advices to give you on how to "accept" this situation... I just want to say that things flow better when they're happening naturally, you can't feel like you're giving up just by trying to live with the fact that you're in a solitary situation!
Plus, this experience might add a lot to who you are, being alone can be incredibly empowering.

I can't pretend that I'm satisfied, since I seem to constantly be envious of people who have a choice in the matter, but I am more comfortable alone. Getting close to people means running a gauntlet of potential judgments. I guess it's easier to avoid that and spare the ego a few bruises, focus on distractions instead; a degree of happiness you have some control over, instead of others, what they think of you etc. which you have little control over.

Most of the time I'm sleep deprived to the point where it's hard to hold decent conversation anyway.

In my case....it's complicated.
I don't know how I can sum it up in short words, but I'll try. I was basically with someone since I was around 12 or 14, up until I was 28. Someone different, all the time, my longest relationship lasted 3 years and with the mother of my children. I like to think it's all their fault (of course, who doesn't fess up to their responsibilities..) but I know better than that now. Suffice it to say that my own flaws or problems are not what ultimately caused the relationships to fail, although my own outlooks did. I kept getting disappointed. A situation would arise where I would see a person's true colors beyond what they were capable of hiding by themselves, the person they don't show anyone and being incredibly perceptive bordering on supernatural, it would instantly disgust me and disappoint me. One asked me to choose between her and my children. Another could not get around her drug abuse problem even though she assured me they would. I took care of them for a time until I decided I'd had enough of having 3 daughters instead of two...

It was hard, at first. I had a phase, maybe 6 months in, where I grew so...let's call it physically lacking, I considered hiring a prostitute. What didn't help was that I didn't have any money lol. Then, eventually, that went away. To the point where it's actually hard to remember what it was like. While I'll not deny I miss companionship, by that meaning the small moments, say cuddling in front of a tv show together or some such, I miss none of the rest. I don't miss the oppositions, the fights, the arguments, all that characterises a relationship. And since I was so often in the drivers seat, which is something I always reproched the ones I was with (I was trying to train them into being "independent women" instead of trying to become housewives, fancy that...)at some point, I grew tired moderately quickly. I didn't see a point in keeping any of it since the advantages were so minimal...
But...I still loved them. And every time I broke up with someone, a piece of my heart went with it. Up until about 3 years ago, I fancied the notion I was made of stone. Nothing much got at me anymore. Stoicism has always been a way of life for me, and I figured I was there. Then the unthinkable happenned...it's still fresh, I haven't decided really yet, but I don't know if it actually mended my heart or broke off the remaining pieces of it that made me human. I wonder if it's my intellect going on when inside, really, there isn't much anymore. I'm constantly surprised by my capability to "switch off", which was always there, but seems so much more easy now. Only thing I still do care about, which I am not able to switch off, is those two tiny human beings. But I've yet to discover someone that would cancel that ability as well. In fact, more often than not, I'm actively looking AWAY from it. Even when I get hit on.

When I was a kid, I used to play books where you're the hero, in french. They were fun, but Iactually followed the rules. One series in particular I related to strongly, because it reminded me so much of what type of person I would grow into, in a perfect world for me. This was years before other events shaped my life, I was maybe 9 at the time, if not younger. The series was called Lone Wolf (in french, Loup Solitaire). Last of a reclusive order of war monks, he was a young recruit away when his entire order was killed. He was alone and he saved the world....those book spoke of a despair I didn't feel yet, my life was what you would consider a paradise at the time, but I found myself longing for that despair, that solitude, that...I don't know, atmosphere. It's a feeling more than a word. I was drawn to it.
20 years later, much like him, I don't want it...but it's who I am now. I am Loup Solitaire. There's things I've seen no one ever will and I know that of all the people on this planet, I'm strong enough to bear the burden when others would fall. That makes me responsible for it. For all those who would fall.

So, that's why I walk alone. That's why I chose to stay as such. I figure if I find another one,I might have room in my life.But there's only a chance in a billion.
Am I happy with it? I don't know. Is anyone really 100% happy with their lives? It's my default state. I know building something with someone would be harder than that default state and somehow, untrue to who I am, or rather grew up to be. But I am content in things being the way they are, for the time being. It's hard to add another wolf to the pack right now.

DarkSelene said:
I'm the most introverted person that I know, that has a lot of weight on how isolated I am. I have bursts of energy that makes things easier, but it's still a huge part of why I can't have many friends and definitely why I can't have high maintenance friends.
I'm also very quiet about my own life... I don't trust people easily and I really dislike showing any vulnerabilities, that puts a high amount of people off of trying to get to know me, hardly surprising, I'll work for it if I really wanna know more about them, though.
Because of past experiences, other parts of my life have to develop really slowly -- I'm an easily spooked person.

All of those things make it very easy for me to embrace solitude, it's basically my comfort zone. Now, that also means that I don't have many advices to give you on how to "accept" this situation... I just want to say that things flow better when they're happening naturally, you can't feel like you're giving up just by trying to live with the fact that you're in a solitary situation!
Plus, this experience might add a lot to who you are, being alone can be incredibly empowering.

Thank you for sharing

I'm actually starting to wonder how well I would adjust to spending extended periods of time with some one, unless I really enjoyed their company. The last time I had company was back in October for a football game, and the person promptly fell asleep on my couch for 3 hours and I was pretty happy when he left lol

ardour said:
I can't pretend that I'm satisfied, since I seem to constantly be envious of people who have a choice in the matter,  but I am more comfortable alone. Getting close to people means running a gauntlet of potential judgments. I guess it's easier to avoid that and spare the ego a few bruises, focus on distractions instead; a degree of happiness you have some control over, instead of others, what they think of you etc. which you have little control over.

Most of the time I'm sleep deprived to the point where it's hard to hold decent conversation anyway.
Thank you for sharing

kamya said:
Richard_39 said:
I don't know how I can sum it up in short words, but I'll try.

Try harder!  :club:

LOL Shut up.
At least it's moderately well-written, no?
Now then, let me tell you in detail my life three or four times. It all started one midday afternoon...

Richard_39 said:
I don't know how I can sum it up in short words, but I'll try. I was basically with someone since I was around 12 or 14, up until I was 28. Someone different, all the time, my longest relationship lasted 3 years and with the mother of my children. I like to think it's all their fault (of course, who doesn't fess up to their responsibilities..) but I know better than that now. Suffice it to say that my own flaws or problems are not what ultimately caused the relationships to fail, although my own outlooks did. I kept getting disappointed. A situation would arise where I would see a person's true colors beyond what they were capable of hiding by themselves, the person they don't show anyone and being incredibly perceptive bordering on supernatural, it would instantly disgust me and disappoint me. One asked me to choose between her and my children. Another could not get around her drug abuse problem even though she assured me they would. I took care of them for a time until I decided I'd had enough of having 3 daughters instead of two...

It was hard, at first. I had a phase, maybe 6 months in, where I grew so...let's call it physically lacking, I considered hiring a prostitute. What didn't help was that I didn't have any money lol. Then, eventually, that went away. To the point where it's actually hard to remember what it was like. While I'll not deny I miss companionship, by that meaning the small moments, say cuddling in front of a tv show together or some such, I miss none of the rest. I don't miss the oppositions, the fights, the arguments, all that characterises a relationship. And since I was so often in the drivers seat, which is something I always reproched the ones I was with (I was trying to train them into being "independent women" instead of trying to become housewives, fancy that...)at some point, I grew tired moderately quickly. I didn't see a point in keeping any of it since the advantages were so minimal...
But...I still loved them. And every time I broke up with someone, a piece of my heart went with it. Up until about 3 years ago, I fancied the notion I was made of stone. Nothing much got at me anymore. Stoicism has always been a way of life for me, and I figured I was there. Then the unthinkable happenned...it's still fresh, I haven't decided really yet, but I don't know if it actually mended my heart or broke off the remaining pieces of it that made me human. I wonder if it's my intellect going on when inside, really, there isn't much anymore. I'm constantly surprised by my capability to "switch off", which was always there, but seems so much more easy now. Only thing I still do care about, which I am not able to switch off, is those two tiny human beings. But I've yet to discover someone that would cancel that ability as well. In fact, more often than not, I'm actively looking AWAY from it. Even when I get hit on.

When I was a kid, I used to play books where you're the hero, in french. They were fun, but Iactually followed the rules. One series in particular I related to strongly, because it reminded me so much of what type of person I would grow into, in a perfect world for me. This was years before other events shaped my life, I was maybe 9 at the time, if not younger. The series was called Lone Wolf (in french, Loup Solitaire). Last of a reclusive order of war monks, he was a young recruit away when his entire order was killed. He was alone and he saved the world....those book spoke of a despair I didn't feel yet, my life was what you would consider a paradise at the time, but I found myself longing for that despair, that solitude, that...I don't know, atmosphere. It's a feeling more than a word. I was drawn to it.
20 years later, much like him, I don't want it...but it's who I am now. I am Loup Solitaire. There's things I've seen no one ever will and I know that of all the people on this planet, I'm strong enough to bear the burden when others would fall. That makes me responsible for it. For all those who would fall.

So, that's why I walk alone. That's why I chose to stay as such. I figure if I find another one,I might have room in my life.But there's only a chance in a billion.
Am I happy with it? I don't know. Is anyone really 100% happy with their lives? It's my default state. I know building something with someone would be harder than that default state and somehow, untrue to who I am, or rather grew up to be. But I am content in things being the way they are, for the time being. It's hard to add another wolf to the pack right now.
Thank you for sharing

Latest posts

Back