WrestleMania 34

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seosa

Anybody looking forward to this tonight?

I was an avid wrestling fan growing but for pretty much the last 10 years I've generally been a casual fan, keeping an eye on the product but not really watching it properly. However, WrestleMania season always pulls you back in, regardless of the quality of the product. It's great seeing talent from TNA's glory days getting their time in the spotlight, as well as guys and girls from the Indie circuit mixing it up with the torchbearers of the WWE for so many years. From what I can tell, the card this year looks very good, but needs to pull off something special to outdo last night's NXT Takeover.

VanillaCreme said:
I'll be watching it tonight. If the Network works.

I've watched it live for the last 3 years. I saw 31 and 33 on the Network, and 32 on a stream. If I'm awake tonight, I'll just follow the Twitter coverage, catching clips as they come in.

Hoping for an AJ/Nak classic and a Mark Calaway/Biker Taker appearance. In my opinion, Deadman Taker retired last year; if Mark really feels he has to continue, then he should do so as a character more related to who he truly is, as he was from 2000-2003. Plus, I've always felt that a Taker-Cena feud would never work if Taker was in Deadman form.

Seosa said:
VanillaCreme said:

I've watched it live for the last 3 years. I saw 31 and 33 on the Network, and 32 on a stream. If I'm awake tonight, I'll just follow the Twitter coverage, catching clips as they come in.

Hoping for an AJ/Nak classic and a Mark Calaway/Biker Taker appearance. In my opinion, Deadman Taker retired last year; if Mark really feels he has to continue, then he should do so as a character more related to who he truly is, as he was from 2000-2003. Plus, I've always felt that a Taker-Cena feud would never work if Taker was in Deadman form.

Taker's gotta really be up to it, though. As most of us can see, he's not in his best condition. If it were anyone else, I wouldn't even appreciate the fact that they come around once a year for a match. But Taker... All I'm hoping for is that he's sturdy enough for another match.

VanillaCreme said:
Seosa said:
VanillaCreme said:

Taker's gotta really be up to it, though. As most of us can see, he's not in his best condition. If it were anyone else, I wouldn't even appreciate the fact that they come around once a year for a match. But Taker... All I'm hoping for is that he's sturdy enough for another match.

Apparently he's had his hips operated on, so he might be in a better condition. Fingers crossed. Head canon says he turns up during a Kid Rock gig, rides around the ring to right in front of where Cena is sat with the fans, and doesn't even need to say a word, just a look to say "You've been mouthing for weeks, let's dance!". Scenes when Vince trolls us and Taker doesn't even show up :D

I thought our reward for having to look at Cena 17 times in an hour would be not having to watch him in a match. Apparently, that isn't so. Taker doesn't have to come back for any given time before something like this though, because they're doing all the hype for the match through Cena.

At least we were indeed rewarded. He looked really good, healthy. He had me scared with his match with Reigns.

I honestly forgot about it this year, for the first time in almost 20 years lol.
Was an avid wrestling fan. Tried my hand at it but got hurt. I actually know Kevin Steen, though it was a brief meeting he probably doesn't remember in Montreal.
How was it this year?

VanillaCreme said:
At least we were indeed rewarded. He looked really good, healthy. He had me scared with his match with Reigns.

Yes, indeed. Taker squashing Cena at Mania, gotta love it. The lead into it was fun as well, to be fair.

---

Richard_39 said:
I honestly forgot about it this year, for the first time in almost 20 years lol.
Was an avid wrestling fan. Tried my hand at it but got hurt. I actually know Kevin Steen, though it was a brief meeting he probably doesn't remember in Montreal.
How was it this year?

Wouldn't be surprised if Steen and El Generico are moved over to Raw tonight, or even bring back those Indie personas in order to stay on Smackdown.

Generally it was a good event, albeit with some questionable booking as ever. Ronda Rousey did herself proud so hopefully she can take that forward in her singles career. Daniel Bryan coming back was good to see. Charlotte breaking Asuka's streak by submission was a poor choice, as was Mahal pinning Rusev. AJ over Nakamura was understandable, but I'm interested to see where a Nak heel turn leads. Lesnar beating Reigns leads me to believe they're abandoning throwing their weight fully behind Reigns but also that they have something big in mind in regards to taking the Universal Title off of Brock. Strip Braun of the tag titles and give him a match against Brock tonight on Raw, maybe? Always big rumours for the Raw after Mania so tonight should be fun.

Seosa said:
VanillaCreme said:

Yes, indeed. Taker squashing Cena at Mania, gotta love it. The lead into it was fun as well, to be fair.

---

Richard_39 said:
How was it this year?

Wouldn't be surprised if Steen and El Generico are moved over to Raw tonight, or even bring back those Indie personas in order to stay on Smackdown.

Generally it was a good event, albeit with some questionable booking as ever. Ronda Rousey did herself proud so hopefully she can take that forward in her singles career. Daniel Bryan coming back was good to see. Charlotte breaking Asuka's streak by submission was a poor choice, as was Mahal pinning Rusev. AJ over Nakamura was understandable, but I'm interested to see where a Nak heel turn leads. Lesnar beating Reigns leads me to believe they're abandoning throwing their weight fully behind Reigns but also that they have something big in mind in regards to taking the Universal Title off of Brock. Strip Braun of the tag titles and give him a match against Brock tonight on Raw, maybe? Always big rumours for the Raw after Mania so tonight should be fun.

LOL I haven't watched a RAW in years. I wonder what it's like anymore. Once you tasted mid-90's to mid-2000's wrestling, it was hard to keep watching, plus life stuff happened lol. Bryan is back? I thought his career was over?
And...UFC Rhonda Rousey? Is she full time Rowdy Rhonda Rowsey the wrestler now?

Richard_39 said:
[quote pid='872981' dateline='1523290299']
LOL I haven't watched a RAW in years. I wonder what it's like anymore. Once you tasted mid-90's to mid-2000's wrestling, it was hard to keep watching, plus life stuff happened lol. Bryan is back? I thought his career was over?

Like I alluded to in the opening post, I haven't watched it properly since probably 2009, but admittedly I've never really taken my eyes off the product, mostly in hope that it picks up in quality. There's been an abundance of talent over the years and various memorable moments (see debuting stars from TNA and the Indies, returning legends, WrestleMania matches, etc.) but the creative side of the company from a booking standpoint has often been found lacking. CM Punk walking out in 2014 is a notorious case.

Bryan was cleared by everybody BUT the WWE Doctors. When it became clear that he was willing to go back to ROH or NJPW to resume his career later on this year, WWE cleared him. That level of popularity prints money, it'd be a waste if they'd have let him go.

And yes, Ronda of the UFC indeed: (Link provided because yet again the insert video option won't work for me)

[video=youtube]

Seosa said:
Richard_39 said:
[quote pid='872981' dateline='1523290299']

Like I alluded to in the opening post, I haven't watched it properly since probably 2009, but admittedly I've never really taken my eyes off the product, mostly in hope that it picks up in quality. There's been an abundance of talent over the years and various memorable moments (see debuting stars from TNA and the Indies, returning legends, WrestleMania matches, etc.) but the creative side of the company from a booking standpoint has often been found lacking. CM Punk walking out in 2014 is a notorious case.

Bryan was cleared by everybody BUT the WWE Doctors. When it became clear that he was willing to go back to ROH or NJPW to resume his career later on this year, WWE cleared him. That level of popularity prints money, it'd be a waste if they'd have let him go.

And yes, Ronda of the UFC indeed: (Link provided because yet again the insert video option won't work for me)

[/quote]
Hehe, same here. I usually just watch WM every year with my cousin at a bar. Kind of our annual thing, but he didn't call me it seems and I forgot, considering everything else that's been going on, that it was yesterday.
Big fan of Punk and the storyline they did on him. I was disappointed he walked out too, when I heard (although it didn't surprise me one bit, considering how they've treated their boys in the past). I never really watched TNA, a little bit sometimes, but considering how big a business it was in the 50's here among other places, it's nice to see some people outside the WWE fin employement, there's some talented guys out there.
Well I'll be damned lol.

Richard_39 said:
Hehe, same here. I usually just watch WM every year with my cousin at a bar. Kind of our annual thing, but he didn't call me it seems and I forgot, considering everything else that's been going on, that it was yesterday.
Big fan of Punk and the storyline they did on him. I was disappointed he walked out too, when I heard (although it didn't surprise me one bit, considering how they've treated their boys in the past). I never really watched TNA, a little bit sometimes, but considering how big a business it was in the 50's here among other places, it's nice to see some people outside the WWE fin employement, there's some talented guys out there.
Well I'll be damned lol.

Yeah, seeing AJ, Roode, Samoa Joe, Eric Young, etc., become stars in the WWE is completely surreal. Jeremy Borash is a producer, and other recent TNA stars have found their way to WWE too, not forgetting returning WWE stars like Angle and the Hardys. The Broken/Woken Hardy gimmick is something you must see, by the way...

Seosa said:
Yeah, seeing AJ, Roode, Samoa Joe, Eric Young, etc., become stars in the WWE is completely surreal. Jeremy Borash is a producer, and other recent TNA stars have found their way to WWE too, not forgetting returning WWE stars like Angle and the Hardys. The Broken/Woken Hardy gimmick is something you must see, by the way...

Oh, I caught that when it was originally happening in TNA. Some people called it stupid, I called it original in the context of today's wrestling scene and it was ALL Matt, I heard. Hats off, brilliant idea.
Isn't it WWE milking it though? I mean, I remember the assault drone "mini-movie" at TNA that was great, but bringing the concept over to WWE sounds redundant a bit, or an obvious grab.
I'll tell you one thing tho; one guy I never had scene in TNA was AJ Style. Man....that dude.
If HBK and Y2J are in my list of the best flyers in WWE history, that guy has to have a place in the top 3 easy.

Richard_39 said:
Seosa said:

Oh, I caught that when it was originally happening in TNA. Some people called it stupid, I called it original in the context of today's wrestling scene and it was ALL Matt, I heard. Hats off, brilliant idea.
Isn't it WWE milking it though? I mean, I remember the assault drone "mini-movie" at TNA that was great, but bringing the concept over to WWE sounds redundant a bit, or an obvious grab.
I'll tell you one thing tho; one guy I never had scene in TNA was AJ Style. Man....that dude.
If HBK and Y2J are in my list of the best flyers in WWE history, that guy has to have a place in the top 3 easy.

The fans were desperate to see the Broken gimmick on a grander scale. The Hardys deserve it, and it ultimately should contribute to the WWE product.

Believe me, AJ was truly phenomenal in his TNA days. Watch Styles v Samoa Joe v Daniels if you can. Now he's a veteran who has replaced some of the more flamboyant stuff with more story telling, so he's a different wrestler these days. Still very much phenomenal.

I've liked Styles since I first saw him in CZW years and years ago, either before or shortly after his WCW stint. Probably after. But I used to stay up and watch CZW since it was on a local Philly station for me. And to see him still at it 15 years later is great. I didn't see much of his Japan run, but if I could find it and watch it somewhere, I certainly would.

And just as I posted that, New Japan is playing. An AJ Styles matching on. Awesome.

VanillaCreme said:
I've liked Styles since I first saw him in CZW years and years ago, either before or shortly after his WCW stint. Probably after. But I used to stay up and watch CZW since it was on a local Philly station for me. And to see him still at it 15 years later is great. I didn't see much of his Japan run, but if I could find it and watch it somewhere, I certainly would.

And just as I posted that, New Japan is playing. An AJ Styles matching on. Awesome.

I didn't get to watch his Japan stuff aside from clips, but it seems he really evolved while he was over there. It was really that stint that took him to the WWE.

Seosa said:
I didn't get to watch his Japan stuff aside from clips, but it seems he really evolved while he was over there. It was really that stint that took him to the WWE.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU  SOMETHING, BROTHER!

....no that's it :D
Actually, my mother gave me a Hulk Hogan T-shirt, dunno where the hell she got that, but it's his OLD red shirt with Hulkamania is runing wild on it lol. She's magical, that woman. I never watched any of AJ's Japan stuff, even though I love Japanese wrestling. Loved Hayabusa, Ultimo and all the others. Loved Jericho since way before, when he was Lion-harto ;-)

I was watching the Greatest American Hero yesterday and one of the last episodes of Season 3 stars a genetically mutated human monster...named André lol. I miss the giant, he was a particularly loved celebrity in Québec, waaay before WWF existed, and the first ever match between André and Hogan (then a heel) happened at Centre Paul Sauvé in Montréal 10 years before the famous match at WM 3 ;-)

Styles, and Roode, and Samoa Joe, and all those guys, didn't become stars in WWE. They were already to that level. That's why Vince wanted them. Or more-so, Triple H. Once he started doing the NXT thing, they started opening doors to wrestlers that were already over elsewhere. Vince didn't have to make them stars. They're even bringing back people like Lashley that Vince did make a star, because they want the names. That's mainly why they stopped doing the name changes, aside from Devitt, for the already well-known wrestlers.

VanillaCreme said:
Styles, and Roode, and Samoa Joe, and all those guys, didn't become stars in WWE. They were already to that level. That's why Vince wanted them. Or more-so, Triple H. Once he started doing the NXT thing, they started opening doors to wrestlers that were already over elsewhere. Vince didn't have to make them stars. They're even bringing back people like Lashley that Vince did make a star, because they want the names. That's mainly why they stopped doing the name changes, aside from Devitt, for the already well-known wrestlers.

I should emphasise that I meant that they'd become "WWE Superstars" and were succeeding. You and I both know just how good these guys were/are and how they all had what it takes to succeed in the WWE but the barrier has always been Vince and his creative team of Yes Men. Haitch's growing influence is taking the company in the right direction, or at least we can only hope it is.

Latest posts

Back