Hi! Old "newbie" here

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

athelas88

Probably going to regret this but just wanted to say hi to all the folks on here. I made this account way back in 2015 but never posted or checked the forums till recently. I'll be 34 this year and basically a reclusive cat lady in training. Only have one cat though and it's a stray that I give some food to everyday. Just need maybe another five more feline friends before I unlock my achievement.  :p

Silly cat joke aside, I'm depressed and have suicidal thoughts, even more so now as I get older. If anyone feels concerned that I'm already saying this at an introduction don't be because to me it's just a passing thought. I think I'm getting better at the whole mindfulness thing so not going to do anything stupid. Lonely? Sometimes. I know how to fill my times with reading and hobbies but I'm just looking for a person or two to connect with I guess. I've always been that shy awkward misfit, an outsider looking in for as long as I can remember.

So enough with the depressive, introspective stuff, I have quite a lot of interests mostly "nerdy" ones. I love books, games, movies, people watching, cat watching, coffee etc. I would write them all down but it's a loonggggg list...
SE8e4T.gif

P.S. My username is elvish for "kingsfoil" or something like that but pretty sure most LOTR fans would have known that? Still love all things elvish though. Personally I would have liked my username to be "LordElrondsEyeBrows" now.  :D

Welcome aboard! Plenty of nerds on here so you should fit right in :D
Plenty of very good people, too, more importantly. Feel free to say hello at any time :)

Welcome (back) to ALL!

I love cats, might some day be a crazy cat guy, I think 3 would be enough to qualify though, for guys that is ;)

I love some books, I'm currently eve so slowly going through Steven Kings Dark Tower series, and only have the last of the Hitchhikers Guide Guide to the Galaxy left to read, also got the box set of Game of Thrones books here, but that's till unopened :p Recently started gaming again, and man do I suck now! But that's ok, just playing single player games at the moment (subnautica), I played that very well known MMORPG for years though, don't think I'll ever get back to that. Personally more into series than movie as of the last few years, sci-fi in particular I love!

What book genre, games an movies do you like?

Hi and welcome.I had a customer with twenty four cats including a couple of ferals that would look in to her kitchen from on top of her shed.People would bring them to her some injured and they would just stay.I don't know if it was some sort of rescue I never thought to ask, she was one of my favourite customers being very kind and a tad eccentric.Goodluck on the forum. :)

Seosa said:
Plenty of very good people, too, more importantly. Feel free to say hello at any time :)
Hi there, Seosa. I hope so. I've always been more of an observer than a participant in any forum. Trying to get over this fear that no one would like me around and just maybe be a little more active.
I would but I'm kinda scared of The Joker. :p

MisterLonely said:
Welcome (back) to ALL!

I love cats, might some day be a crazy cat guy, I think 3 would be enough to qualify though, for guys that is ;)

I love some books, I'm currently eve so slowly going through Steven Kings Dark Tower series, and only have the last of the Hitchhikers Guide Guide to the Galaxy left to read, also got the box set of Game of Thrones books here, but that's till unopened :p Recently started gaming again, and man do I suck now! But that's ok, just playing single player games at the moment (subnautica), I played that very well known MMORPG for years though, don't think I'll ever get back to that. Personally more into series than movie as of the last few years, sci-fi in particular I love!

What book genre, games an movies do you like?
Hello. :)
Well, my father is a cat guy. He took care of ten cats at one time. A lot of them strays. He was in the military. I haven't read any of those books you mentioned yet. Game of Thrones is going to be a marathon though so you'd better get started. :p
I don't really have a fave book genre, I would read an obituary if it was interesting enough *cough*. :p
Though I don't read that much lately since have a lot of trouble with concentration.
I'm planning to re-read The Witcher books again then maybe finally play The Witcher 3. For now I play Skyrim, modded mostly, that is well, until I "break" the game again lol

PurpleStar said:
Hello and welcome back 😊
Hi, PurpleStar. This is a silly, random question but do you like the band Deep Purple?

Joturbo said:
Hi and welcome.I had a customer with twenty four cats including a couple of ferals that would look in to her kitchen from on top of her shed.People would bring them to her some injured and they would just stay.I don't know if it was some sort of rescue I never thought to ask, she was one of my favourite customers being very kind and a tad eccentric.Goodluck on the forum. :)
Hi Joturbo. She must be a cat whisperer I imagine. The cats trust her enough to stay on. Just going on a gut feeling here but I think you're probably a very kind person yourself. :)

constant stranger said:
I think we have a few things in common although I'm 30 years older.
Hello Constant Stranger. I identify with your username a lot and yeah, perhaps we may have some things in common.

athelas88 said:
Seosa said:
Hi there, Seosa. I hope so. I've always been more of an observer than a participant in any forum. Trying to get over this fear that no one would like me around and just maybe be a little more active.
I would but I'm kinda scared of The Joker. :p

I understand that feeling, even more so on a forum for lonely souls which can feel leave you feeling even lonelier, but I get the impression you'll be absolutely fine :)

Oh don't you worry about The Joker, he's just there to scare away normal folk :p

athelas88 said:
Probably going to regret this but just wanted to say hi to all the folks on here. I made this account way back in 2015 but never posted or checked the forums till recently. I'll be 34 this year and basically a reclusive cat lady in training. Only have one cat though and it's a stray that I give some food to everyday. Just need maybe another five more feline friends before I unlock my achievement.  :p

Silly cat joke aside, I'm depressed and have suicidal thoughts, even more so now as I get older. If anyone feels concerned that I'm already saying this at an introduction don't be because to me it's just a passing thought. I think I'm getting better at the whole mindfulness thing so not going to do anything stupid. Lonely? Sometimes. I know how to fill my times with reading and hobbies but I'm just looking for a person or two to connect with I guess. I've always been that shy awkward misfit, an outsider looking in for as long as I can remember.

So enough with the depressive, introspective stuff, I have quite a lot of interests mostly "nerdy" ones. I love books, games, movies, people watching, cat watching, coffee etc. I would write them all down but it's a loonggggg list...
SE8e4T.gif

P.S. My username is elvish for "kingsfoil" or something like that but pretty sure most LOTR fans would have known that? Still love all things elvish though. Personally I would have liked my username to be "LordElrondsEyeBrows" now.  :D

athelas88 said:

SE8e4T.gif

Hi there, Elvin.  I love that you have a great sense of humor, laughter heals and is good for the soul!  I think you have much potential for friendship and other relationships!  Keep getting out there, Those knights don't come to the castle door like they used to.  ;)  What are your interests?  Get involved in meetups or classes... I love my church, they have a  singles over 40 or 50 class that is great for these things.  They get out and have lots of fun in groups with no pressure.  Being comfortable with your awkwardness is good, even tho that sounds weird, lol.  We all become more comfortable when we admit our feelings or inadequacies. You got this, I feel it!  You are not stuck, you are not a tree. Keep moving forward even if it's baby steps.  =)  Prayers for you and looking forward to hearing of the successes you are gonna have!

TheRealCallie said:
Welcome (back?) to the forum :)
Hello Callie! :)

Seosa said:
I understand that feeling, even more so on a forum for lonely souls which can feel leave you feeling even lonelier, but I get the impression you'll be absolutely fine :)

Oh don't you worry about The Joker, he's just there to scare away normal folk :p
I like Harley Quinn better. :p
So I gotta ask, which Joker you prefer? Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger or Jared Leto?

KimmyO said:
Hi there, Elvin.  I love that you have a great sense of humor, laughter heals and is good for the soul!  I think you have much potential for friendship and other relationships!  Keep getting out there, Those knights don't come to the castle door like they used to.  ;)  What are your interests?  Get involved in meetups or classes... I love my church, they have a  singles over 40 or 50 class that is great for these things.  They get out and have lots of fun in groups with no pressure.  Being comfortable with your awkwardness is good, even tho that sounds weird, lol.  We all become more comfortable when we admit our feelings or inadequacies. You got this, I feel it!  You are not stuck, you are not a tree. Keep moving forward even if it's baby steps.  =)  Prayers for you and looking forward to hearing of the successes you are gonna have!
Hi there, Kimmy. Thanks for your support and well wishes. :)
Well, not really into shiny knights type anyway and Hodor is gone, so no one is holding the door anymore. :p
I did went for a short course learning something but that's completed now.

athelas88 said:
I like Harley Quinn better. :p
So I gotta ask, which Joker you prefer? Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger or Jared Leto?

Good taste :p

Mark Hamill ;) :p

But of those 3, Ledger! His performance still blows my mind. He almost completely reinvented The Joker whilst still adhering to all the true characteristics.

Maybe because I'm a bit older but I was always a more Nicholson man.
Back when Batman (1990) was released, Batman as a whole had degenerated into campy crap. The 60's Batman show had completely corrupted up to the cartoons. What Tim Burton did to the series brought it back to it's very dark, sinister roots at a time when everyone said it couldn't be done or taken seriously anymore.
And Nicholson took campy but brilliantly acted Joker in the series and turned him into, for the first time in 30 years, a scary, dangerous, yet odly likeable vilain and nemesis to Batman. That's what started it all and led to what we have today.

I also agree with Mark Hamill. After the campy crap started again in Batman and Robin, Hamill kept the darkness and insanity alive in the cartoon world. I think we owe him Ledger whom, my respects to the passed away actor whom I liked very much, I didn't like particularly as the Joker. I understand what direction he went and why he did that and it was well acted and a good way to distance himself from what had been done before, but just like I don't particularly like the color Fuschia, I didn't particularly like his Joker ;-)

Haven't seen Leto. But at this point, I'm MEH about superhero movies. Too much is like not enough.

Latest posts

Back