Birthday by myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justjack

Reaction score
For most of my life I've moved around. Grew up in Chicago and moved to the east coast after parents divorced, and haven't lived anywhere longer than a year for the last 18 years of my life (31 yo as of today). Anyways, finally bought a place to call my own this year. I thought "this'll help me meet new people". Everyone always says "good things in life take time". Honestly it feels like I'm running out of time. The only people in my life are my divorced parents, who live in other states. I have a good job, but just can't meet anyone, no matter how hard I try. I've done all the dating apps, Meetups, volunteering, hiking groups, etc, etc, and still, not one friend to call to talk to or meet up with. I know I'm not a bad person, I don't drink/smoke/do drugs. I run marathons, try to put positivity out in the world, but here I am, alone again. 

This year I had a feeling this would happen so I made sure to take work off, and fill my day with projects. Installed a new kitchen faucet and some other maintenance that needed to be done. It helped take my mind off of the loneliness.. until I was done. Honestly no sure what else I can even do. I haven't had someone to call a "close friend" in years and it's just getting old. Anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts? Suggestions? Is our generation just that socially inept that no one is interested in building new connections?

No real suggestions but...

A) I know the feeling. Makes it worse when you bounce from position to position in life, whether it be from school to college to Uni to job to job, etc., and still find yourself with no real friends or even acquaintances. Like you don't have any sort of magnet that pulls people in. They never bother asking you for your number, or ask you what you get up to in your spare time. People think you should go out of your way to ask them, but there's a line you draw before you're the one chasing other people, and eventually you just stop chasing altogether. Painful, but you find yourself very numb to it as you get on with day-to-day menials.

B) Yes, I do believe our generation is slowing becoming very socially inept. Those who are generally socially adequate are a sad indictment of society today; vulgar, crass, disrespectful, and completely lacking in the way of traditional values, contrary to the false decencies and morals they attempt to publically adhere to, "Only God can judge me", "Friends for life", all that sort of crap. But this is the way of the Western world, and it is as a result of the intentional degrading of society at the hands of the system set in place from the hierarchical structure for the best part of the last century, but in particular since the end of the Second World War.

We can only try and survive in this world, and hope that we can achieve some sense of peace, solitude and happiness.

Happy Birthday, Jack!

TIhhzus.jpg

Justjack said:
For most of my life I've moved around. Grew up in Chicago and moved to the east coast after parents divorced, and haven't lived anywhere longer than a year for the last 18 years of my life (31 yo as of today). Anyways, finally bought a place to call my own this year. I thought "this'll help me meet new people". Everyone always says "good things in life take time". Honestly it feels like I'm running out of time. The only people in my life are my divorced parents, who live in other states. I have a good job, but just can't meet anyone, no matter how hard I try. I've done all the dating apps, Meetups, volunteering, hiking groups, etc, etc, and still, not one friend to call to talk to or meet up with. I know I'm not a bad person, I don't drink/smoke/do drugs. I run marathons, try to put positivity out in the world, but here I am, alone again. 

This year I had a feeling this would happen so I made sure to take work off, and fill my day with projects. Installed a new kitchen faucet and some other maintenance that needed to be done. It helped take my mind off of the loneliness.. until I was done. Honestly no sure what else I can even do. I haven't had someone to call a "close friend" in years and it's just getting old. Anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts? Suggestions? Is our generation just that socially inept that no one is interested in building new connections?
Hey JustJack ,,this is a true statement, If you lived within 50 miles of me I would insist on taking you out for your birthday. PERIOD

Yep. I've been dreading birthdays since I turned around 16. Just a constant reminder to my entire family that I'm a total loser without any friends.

Latest posts

Back