Nicolelt's Dog Questions Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
Since some people from here like to ask me questions about dogs (ahem....VanillaCreme), I thought I would go ahead and make a thread where people can ask me dog related questions. :)

Here's a little bit of background with me and dogs:

I started off in middle school training my grandparents rottweilers and my Alaskan Malamute in obedience. I then started showing whippets in the 8th grade. I was a junior handler and had may mentors. My after school job in high school was training border collies to herd sheep. I still show whippets, and I am constantly reading and listening to podcasts about dogs. I am pretty much obsessed.

Anyways, I do not have all the answers, but I can lead someone to figuring out a solution with a doggie related problem. :)

Why are all dogs male?

Do all dogs really go to heaven?

I am mildly allergic to dogs/cats. What dog should I get? If I get a hairless dog will I still have a runny nose 24/7?

Hi Nicolelt thanks for making your knowledge and experience available. I have a question about Murphy who's getting a bit 'creaky' and I'm guessing its early arthritis. I will take him to the vet but I expect you have some good advice in the meantime. Hes a rescue so am guessing his age around 11yrs so quite old, hes not so keen on running now and will often start to limp if hes overdone it. I try to keep him amused in other ways ie having a paddle/interesting walks where he doesn't over exert himself etc I'm wondering if I can get anything online which can moderate/ ease the condition and also if pain was masked would that just cause his joints to wear out quicker. Hes of an age now where demise is inevitable but hope to make it easier for him. Cheers  :)

kamya said:
Why are all dogs male?

Do all dogs really go to heaven?

I am mildly allergic to dogs/cats. What dog should I get? If I get a hairless dog will I still have a runny nose 24/7?

A male canine is called a dog, and a female canine is called a *****. Kinda like how male cattle are bulls, and females are cows.

If they don't go to heaven, I wanna go where ever they do. I have some unfinished business with about five of them.

Are you allergic to the dander? Then a hairless dog would work, but if they are mild, then you could see if you could be around one of the hypoallergenic breeds like Portuguese water dogs, poodles, or wheaten terriers.

Chief broom said:
Hi Nicolelt thanks for making your knowledge and experience available. I have a question about Murphy who's getting a bit 'creaky' and I'm guessing its early arthritis. I will take him to the vet but I expect you have some good advice in the meantime. Hes a rescue so am guessing his age around 11yrs so quite old, hes not so keen on running now and will often start to limp if hes overdone it. I try to keep him amused in other ways ie having a paddle/interesting walks where he doesn't over exert himself etc I'm wondering if I can get anything online which can moderate/ ease the condition and also if pain was masked would that just cause his joints to wear out quicker. Hes of an age now where demise is inevitable but hope to make it easier for him. Cheers  :)

My mom used this supplement called Pain Plus (https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Vet-Classics-Pain-Plus-120-Tablets/152007.aspx) on our 13 year old Border Terrier. It perked him up a little bit and made him less stiff. He is in worse shape than your dog though, he recently was attacked by a coyote and is very stiff from the healing.

Now, there are some companies that sell CBD oil dog treats that is suppose to help with pain. I have not tried this, but I have heard good things about it from friends. I know the one thing to make sure when buying these treats is to make sure that the CBD is pure CBD oil and not hemp oil. Hemp oil doesn't have enough cananoids in it to help.

How to teach dogs to bark less without crushing their guarding dog spirit?
Also, is it possible for my dog to think she's a cat because she grew up with my cat? She jumps just like a cat, and just as high! She got in the guest room where she's not allowed by the window... Are there any jumping dogs breed? Haha (she's a mongrel)

DarkSelene said:
How to teach dogs to bark less without crushing their guarding dog spirit?
Also, is it possible for my dog to think she's a cat because she grew up with my cat? She jumps just like a cat, and just as high! She got in the guest room where she's not allowed by the window... Are there any jumping dogs breed? Haha (she's a mongrel)

So I am working on the whole barking thing with Seymour, my new puppy. To not crush your dog, distract the bad behavior with a good one. So when your dog is barking in a situation you don't want them to, command them to do something else. For example....Seymour is 3 months, and doesn't know many commands, but when he starts barking in a situation where I don't want him too, I say "Watch me". That command is my command that means, stop what you are doing, look at me, I have something I need you to do. After that I have him sit, or stack (he is a show dog in training). By the time I get him doing a positive thing, he forgets about barking. Eventually the bad behavior will stop. 

When your dog does bark at a situation you want them to bark at, make sure you praise it for that.

If your dog is barking when locked up in a crate or something, let me know. That is a different type of training.

With the cat thing, they probably think your cat is a weird dog and learned habits from them. I had the opposite happen where a kitten copied my dog he was  raised with, so my cat was like a dog.  With jumping, I have had whippets that can jump straight over a 6 foot fence with no running start. Lots of the greyhound type of dogs can do that.

Hi Nicolelt, I'm wondering when to start tick treatment here in the UK -do adults emerge in the spring? or do they have a growing/maturing phase and become active later? I'm guessing their life cycle is the same both sides of the pond.  I cant stand the little ****ers and want to keep murphy free of them.

ps Murphy is a greyhound x collie

Chief broom said:
Hi Nicolelt, I'm wondering when to start tick treatment here in the UK -do adults emerge in the spring? or do they have a growing/maturing phase and become active later? I'm guessing their life cycle is the same both sides of the pond.  I cant stand the little ****ers and want to keep murphy free of them.

ps Murphy is a greyhound x collie

I start flea and tick treatment in April when it starts to warm up. I don't use frontline or any other topical medicine because over here the fleas and ticks have developed resistance to it. I give my dogs Nexguard which is a pill that you give every three months. I never had an issue with fleas and ticks, and I live out in the country with tall grasses and such.

^ I also use the pill and it's very good, because it's very strong my 7yo golden retriever takes it every six months instead of three, I live in tropical climate so those ******* are active all year round and we never had any issues at all.

Nicolelt said:
So I am working on the whole barking thing with Seymour, my new puppy. To not crush your dog, distract the bad behavior with a good one. So when your dog is barking in a situation you don't want them to, command them to do something else. For example....Seymour is 3 months, and doesn't know many commands, but when he starts barking in a situation where I don't want him too, I say "Watch me". That command is my command that means, stop what you are doing, look at me, I have something I need you to do. After that I have him sit, or stack (he is a show dog in training). By the time I get him doing a positive thing, he forgets about barking. Eventually the bad behavior will stop. 

When your dog does bark at a situation you want them to bark at, make sure you praise it for that.

If your dog is barking when locked up in a crate or something, let me know. That is a different type of training.

With the cat thing, they probably think your cat is a weird dog and learned habits from them. I had the opposite happen where a kitten copied my dog he was  raised with, so my cat was like a dog.  With jumping, I have had whippets that can jump straight over a 6 foot fence with no running start. Lots of the greyhound type of dogs can do that.

Thank you. I've been trying to do that and for the most part it works, she's very play oriented so if I get the ball she'll forget any bad behavior and wait for me to throw it but I make sure to not do it as if it is a reward, otherwise it'd be worse!

I'm sure she's not a greyhound, but she looks like she has a bit of jack russell in her so that might explain it.

I would so pay for a class or two of dog training from you, Nicole.

Do you have any favorite training treats?

Thanks Nicolelt / DarkSelene very helpful  :)  I had to smile at " do you have favourite training treats" from VanillaCreme- I was thinking along the lines of expensive chocolate/cognac/plane tickets to somewhere nice and a wheelbarrow full of cash!  :D

VanillaCreme said:
I would so pay for a class or two of dog training from you, Nicole.

Do you have any favorite training treats?

Whatever your dog absolutely loves and craves. Personal favorite...mini marshmellows.

Latest posts

Back