Highland chat

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief broom

Reaction score
I don't really have a social life and the only time I chat to anyone apart from the checkout person at Tesco's is when I'm either walking the dog or when I'm fishing. The 'chatties' usually are of two varietys- the exchange of pleasantries sort where its a brief exchange of weather facts etc the other is someone who will bend your ear for an hour or more-this can be interesting/amusing/informative or sometimes I wish they would just b***er off!  Anyhow I do take advantage of these occasions to see if I still retain the ability to speak and recall I once was a human being too  :cool:   

I was walking Murphy yesterday and a farmer leaned over his wall and rambled on for a good hour or more [theres a lot of lonely people in the highlands] he definitely was in the 2nd category and was very interesting. His knowledge ranged from where the best place to see orca's was to how far seals travel from there resting places. The conversation was mainly about anything furred or feathered [I don't do politics bleuu...] and it came to the topic of skylarks and how he hadn't seen many this year. I told him theres loads where I live [Brora] doing there thing of hanging in the sky singing away. He then recounted this story of how he was working one day and could hear a skylark above him which was suddenly cut short by a muffled thud followed by small feathers drifting down- a sparrowhawk had nailed it. I thought to myself 'the larks in his heaven and alls right with the world' but apparently its all right for sparrowhawks too  :rolleyes:  Probably a moral to this ramble but no idea what it is- answers on a postcard  :D

Chief broom said:
I don't really have a social life and the only time I talk to anyone apart from the checkout person at Tesco's is when I'm either walking the dog or when I'm fishing. The 'chatties' usually are of two varietys- the exchange of pleasantries sort where its a brief exchange of weather facts etc the other is someone who will bend your ear for an hour or more-this can be interesting/amusing/informative or on occasion I wish they would just b***er off!  Anyhow I do take advantage of these occasions to see if I still retain the ability to speak and recall I once was a human being too  :cool:   

I was walking Murphy yesterday and a farmer leaned over his wall and rambled on for a good hour or more [theres a lot of lonely people in the highlands] he definitely was in the 2nd category and was very interesting. His knowledge ranged from where the best place to see orca's was to the how far seals travel from there resting places. The conversation was mainly about anything furred or feathered [I don't do politics bleuu...] and it came to the topic of skylarks and how he hadn't seen many this year. I told him theres loads where I live [Brora] doing there thing of hanging in the sky singing away. He then recounted this story of how he was working one day and could hear a skylark above him which was suddenly cut short by a muffled thud followed by small feathers drifting down- a sparrowhawk had nailed it. I thought to myself 'the larks in his heaven and alls right with the world' but apparently its all right for sparrowhawks too  :rolleyes:  Probably a moral to this ramble but no idea what it is- answers on a postcard  :D

Thanks for sharing your exchange with the farmer Chief Broom, it was interesting for two reasons.
First I love nature and could watch and listen to it forever and second that your post illustrates so well that when we lonelies do have something out of the norm in our humdrum lives, we just would like to be able to share it with someone - anyone, and that's the moral of your tale here today Imo; you shared it and weren't left feeling as if your isolation was total and you could tell someone and try and make conversation about it.

Now then, would I rather have been the skylark or the sparrowhawk...........?  :p

Hi Jently thanks for that very nice reply  :)  Your're right it is good to have an outlet and I do feel better for it. Sounds more interesting when shared and reflected upon. Heres a pic for you- a skylark undamaged  :D

What a wonderful picture and because I have no knowledge of skylarks, i'm going to go and have a google to see if I can find something with their song.

Well that was easier than I anticipated -
Birdsong. The sweetest music in the world and i'm sitting here with goosebumps listening and the biggest smile :)

Thanks for this lovely thread Chief Broom and enjoy the rest of your day

Edited to add - I found a soundtrack that lasts half an hour and have been checking emails etc with it playing and i'm just so chilled.

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have not heard or seen a skylark before. Different types of birds where I live. Also there are some lizards and snakes too. The farmer sounds like an interesting conversationalist. I think it's great it's about wildlife instead of politics. Where I live, there's too much talk of politics at the moment since election day is coming. But that poor skylark though. Sparrowhawks got to eat too I guess.

Thanks Jently and Athelas88 I enjoyed your comments :)  I'll try and take some pics of a sparrowhawk when I see one -theyre frequent here but blink and you miss it- they speed through the landscape and surprise/snatch there prey. Murderous but beautifully designed and handsome birds.

Not like the buzzard then Chief Broom. We have an increasing population down here and they are just soooo slow it's amazing they ever catch much at all.

Laughed last week to see Bertie ambling around on the ground munching worms. Yes, he's that lazy; nothing wrong with him, he can catch their usual prey when it suits,but has days when it seems it's just too much effort lol.

Hi Jently lots of buzzards here to-very successful birds in a jack of all trades kind of way. I expect the season is well advanced in your neck of the woods probably 2 weeks behind here. Still haven't seen a swallow and theyre usually here by now. Went fishing today and caught nowt as the sea trout are behind schedule as well- though it could be my incompetence  :rolleyes:  nice to be out though watching the world go by  :D

Gosh your last pic took my breath away Chief Broom. You really do have the most stunning surroundings.
Oh, my hands have started turning green as I type.
Oh no it's just envy creeping in lol.

Oh I sooo know that. I was up there in winter and it was just as you describe, but still very beautiful.

I should warn you that if Murphy goes missing he may well have found a home in Devon.
Your latest pic of him is the loveliest so far, and I am fast falling in love :)

Oh no don't pinch Murphy!  :( :rolleyes:  who would wake me up at 4am because he wants his breakfast  :rolleyes:  think I might be tipped over the edge without my hirsute companion! 

I like this snoozing murphy pic he looks so angelic- never rolls in something horrid...never eats something nasty hes found and has the runs....never causes me any woe or embarrassment..... :D

ps have sent pm

Latest posts

Back