Batchelor Degree?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenia

Reaction score
It is a dream of mine of doing a degree.  I did things the other round had a family youngish, partly because I was always under the assumption I was not bright enough.  My parents wanted me to follow a vocational route which I did primarly because they saw my brother do his degree 10 years previously and still not be able to use it (Fine Art).  This changed though years later and he now makes a very good living.

Now I wish to prepare myself to do it via distance learning, as I need to still pay my bills and feed my kids.

Can I do it though?  I messed around in high school and got average and below average GCSE's, that was without any homework or revision.  I always used to believe when Teachers told me I was useless and never amount to anything, so why bother. I am not shy of hard work.

I now want to do it for me, my own curiosity in the subjects I am interested in.  

Any opinions?

You should definitely do it!

I was like you, always being told I wasn't smart enough, so I never tried, I still got above average test scores end of primary school, but the teacher and school principal decided they weren't going to support my mothers wishes for me to go to a school that was fitting for my test scores... And back then in the mid 90's they still had a lot of weight behind their decisions, so the pushed me into a learning disabled/troubled children school.

I never finished my secondary education, and for a long time I felt like I wasn't smart enough for anything really, until I did the distance learning thing from 2014 till 2016, and although that was another bad experience on it's own, that was mostly because the school I chose was utter crap, and the education I was going for was new and apparently unfinished, it took me longer than I planed because of that but I have a diploma to show for it at the end, and I still put in minimum effort it feels like.

Not a degree I know, but this was on the level I tested at in primary school but never got to try out at, and I couldn't aim higher as you need to have finished secondary school at a certain level to go for the higher education ones, I could now do that if I chose to do so.

There is a lot of pressure on kids to live up to expectations, and somehow we need to know what we are interested in at age 16 and what we want to do our entire adult life, for some it's easy, I didn't know at that time, I didn't figure it out till my 26th.

I think you can do it, I think people can do anything they set their minds to and are truly interested in, this time around there will be no one telling you to do your homework "or else"... This time you will have to motivate yourself, find a schedule and work around life and its responsibilities.

Look around though, make sure you find a good educator because IMHO that is what will ultimately make or beak your experience in all of this, there are also schools that have one "school" day every other week in the weekend here, I've head they are very good as you get to have that classroom experience being treated as an adult and the option to get you questions answered directly on those days.

Remember this most of all "It is a dream of mine of doing a degree"

giphy.gif

Go for it! :)

This is wonderful news Serenia!! And of course you can do it!!

Life is not measured by scores, marks or careers. Look how much you have been through and already accomplished in life. You are strong! You are intelligent! You are a survivor! You have totally got this!!

Good advice from MisterLonely to research and select a school that has a good record. The internet makes that much easier these days. They should also be able to provide you with statistics of how many people were hired after completing that degree in their school and in what field they are working.

It has been my experience that a motivated, curious, excited and determined adult can overcome and feast on learning new things, that perhaps were seen as obstacles in their youth/young learning self.

I did part of my education through Distance Education while juggling two children, and three part time jobs. I have a friend who did her entire degree through Distance Education, while working and being a Mom. She is now working in her field and loving it. Mom's are tough.

This moment in time is all you and all yours now. Grab onto that excitement and run with it. :) You can do anything you set your mind to. HUGS.

Hi Serenia

My wife was pretty much the same as you about average at school.She tried to do a Law degree with the distance learning.She said she really enjoyed the studying and felt capable of completing the degree the tutors being really motivational as well but in the end it was the timing having kids an all that finished it for her.Also I found it really interesting the little nuggets of learning that she would tell me about.I tried to encourage her but it wasn't to be.

She does alot of evening societies and groups after work now which she really enjoys.Definitely go for it though you won't know unless you try.

Anyway good luck .

Hello Serenia,
Your teachers were terrible for telling you things like that. Hopefully you won't let their words to fill you with doubt still.
There are part time distance learning courses out there. It's important to do your research on prospective schools first before signing up though.
Anyway good luck on your studies and you can do it! :)

Personally, I'd say no. Simply because unless its in a field that would almost guarantee work, it's effectively worthless. It's something to be proud of, but the debt and wasted time simply aren't worth it. It's entirely your choice, but while I will always treasure my degree, going through the 3 years to get it were ultimately a waste of time.

Serenia said:
I now want to do it for me, my own curiosity in the subjects I am interested in.  

That is all the reason you need. Go for it and good luck.

Serenia said:
... I messed around in high school and got average and below average GCSE's, that was without any homework or revision. ...

If you hit average just messing around and not doing homework, then if you apply yourself and have the time, you sure should be able to do it.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement it means alot. Not a great start spell Bachelor wrong lol.

My plan is to re-do my Maths GCSE to refresh myself and then an access course, then tackle it.

Serenia said:
Thank you all so much for your encouragement it means alot.  Not a great start spell Bachelor wrong lol.

My plan is to re-do my Maths GCSE to refresh myself and then an access course, then tackle it.

Khan academy is really good if you need a math refresher.

Seosa said:
Personally, I'd say no. Simply because unless its in a field that would almost guarantee work, it's effectively worthless. It's something to be proud of, but the debt and wasted time simply aren't worth it. It's entirely your choice, but while I will always treasure my degree, going through the 3 years to get it were ultimately a waste of time.

I kind of agree with this. What degree are you thinking about?

Serenia said:
Thank you all so much for your encouragement it means alot.  Not a great start spell Bachelor wrong lol.

I pretty much did the same thing. I didn't re-do the maths GCSE, but I did the access course at college then started my degree, I just finished my first year. Access is pretty intense, but it's doable. I barely got through my GSCEs too, I resat the important ones straight after I left school at 16 though, so I had a gap of 20 years. I'd say go for it. I've never been happier than I am at this point in my life.

Latest posts

Back