Drinking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilE

Reaction score
The only thing that works for me these days is drinking every now and then, it is a quick fix for all of my symptoms, and I feel 100 percent normal when I drink, so much do that I want to be tipsy 24/7. Depression, anxiety, intrusive, obsessive, racing thoughts, mood swings, all disappear when I drink. It is the only way I know that works for me. It makes me feel grounded my putting so much things into a halt and being in the moment, being able to use my mind as I'd like. I am self medicating when I drink. It is not right, it is nor healthy, and it won't solve anything in the long run, but it is the only thing that works for me at the moment.  

Been there done that. It has some untidy side effects and is hard to quit.
You're on a dangerous path but you already seem to know it.
Best of luck to you. Yeah.....really.

Remember it's a temp solution man, and it can change.
I rarely if ever drink anymore. Because when I do, I become someone else. Someone not so nice. If that doesn't happen to you that's a good thing and it can help alleviate some things, but if you feel yourself going off on that slope, dude...that's when the warning bells should go off. Keep that in mind, because sometimes you can do things you don't want to have to live with having done, but you can't go back. There always comes a point where instead of making you forget, it makes you exacerbate. Hopefully in your case it'll only happen 40 years and a good life from now.
Take care man.

lilE said:
The only thing that works for me these days is drinking every now and then, it is a quick fix for all of my symptoms, and I feel 100 percent normal when I drink, so much do that I want to be tipsy 24/7. Depression, anxiety, intrusive, obsessive, racing thoughts, mood swings, all disappear when I drink. It is the only way I know that works for me. It makes me feel grounded my putting so much things into a halt and being in the moment, being able to use my mind as I'd like. I am self medicating when I drink. It is not right, it is nor healthy, and it won't solve anything in the long run, but it is the only thing that works for me at the moment.  

Yea, it might seem like it's fixing things temporarily but can lead to much bigger problems long term, besides the fact it just is numbing you.  This is what works for me when I want to be grounded and get rid of awful thoughts and feelings that won't go away:  I take magnesium and ginseng to calm my body, mind and soul.  They also get rid of those  sticky negative thoughts and feelings that get me down.  Yes, they really work. We are given many things to help us on this earth.  Also, I get outside, breathe deep in beautiful creation, touch the earth and look at the stars to get grounded.  That helps me remember the bigness of life and the constant faithfulness of it all. Also I pray, meditate on wise words and stretch myself thru learning, art and groups like meetups, classes.  Anxiety is so much more a problem than it used to be, some of spiritual, some of it physical.  <3  This can help you too, without consequences like drinking has.  Also, another important thing is to forgive those who hurt you even if they don't deserve it and forgive your self.   Repeat whenever needed, again and again till it sticks.  =) Grace wins every time!

What's considered problem drinking anyway? It doesn't like the OP is drinking at all hours or getting blackout drunk. But then maybe you don't need to to have a problem.

I have 1-2 beers on weeknights, sometimes more over the weekend. Yea, after a couple of drinks is often the only time I feel relaxed or in a vaguely okay mood, so without endorsing it, I can certainly relate.

A telltale sign of a "drinking problem" is when you are using alcohol to cope with symptoms (anxiety, depression, etc.) rather than simply enjoying a tasty beverage from time to time in a social capacity.

Like Richard above, I can't drink habitually because how it changes me. I turn into a very dark and hostile creature.

Drinking is never a good solution because it's not a solution at all. It doesn't get rid of the problem, it just buries it while you are drinking. Essentially, you are running away from it or hiding from it. It's a temporary fix that could potentially lead to a much worse problem. Your issues will never go away until you face them and figure out what will work to make you move passed them.

I agree with all of the above. I've been there and once sold my car so I could drink the proceeds. It's commonly said that the person doing the drinking is the last to admit it is a problem for them.

At any rate I can't see how it's possible to afford the habit, not round here these days at least.  :rolleyes:

I understand how you feel because I've recently started drinking again and it's made me feel better too. I'm able to laugh more and enjoy life a bit more, however I'm able to take a break so it hasn't become a major problem yet. 

I suffer from depression and I have done for years. 

I hope that drink doesn't become a problem for any of you.

Latest posts

Back