What is maturity for you

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unix

Reaction score
Hey guys, i often think about this. I consider myself mature and adult from the point of emotional and rational intelligence, but i don't feel like i am a real man. I mean, i can clearly see the difference beetween me and some men that i know but i can't understand of why i feel "inferior". Maybe is my lack of sexual experience? Or is simply something related to age? 

I got some ideas of what maturity is, but i'm curious to know what maturity is for you

My opinion is that it's a concept that can't be defined....at least I've never heard it adequately defined in my 65 years. One knows it when one sees it and one can cite examples of its manifestation in peoples' conduct but render a definition? I'd like to hear that.

Maturity has nothing to do with age.  I know 10 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.  
That said, to me, maturity is about being responsible.  Taking care of your own honeysuckle and not relying on someone else to do that for you.  Now, don't get me wrong, staying home to take care of kids or something like that is different, as long as the partner can support the family.  
So yeah, maturity is having the correct priorities at the top of the list, not going out to party every night or whore it up with whoever is willing or whatever else fits in that category.

Well there is the physical side of things, but obviously you do not need me to tell you about that. So to answer your question, maturity is what you make it. You are mature as long as you think you are. Often times people who are all up in arms about how immature I might be are just looking for a reason to feel superior to me. SO I generally do not pay any attention to their whining as it is just a waste of time for me. No instead I am just going to live my life. If people find me immature well guess what they can just not spend time with me. Chances are we would not get along anyway

I knew my husband was mature when he accidentally did a wheelie on the lawnmower, and instead of saying "Did you see that!?!?!" he said, "Oh my god, I almost died." lol

In reality, I think maturity is like Callie said above, you have your priorities straight, but it is also how you react to situations. I know lots of people that are doing a good job with day to day life, but it seems like socially, they can't get out of high school.

Inferior?
If you mean you can't bench 300 pounds when others can, some of those others can't multiply by 6, either 🙂.
I dont think maturity is the quite right word, nor is the concept of "being a man". I have a friend who is an effiminate gay man, yet I view him, as he views himself, as much of a man as any other, because he is.
Dont let labels define you. You define the label instead.

constant stranger said:
My opinion is that it's a concept that can't be defined....at least I've never heard it adequately defined in my 65 years.  One knows it when one sees it and one can cite examples of its manifestation in peoples' conduct but render a definition?  I'd like to hear that.

I think that the best definition is the the callie one "maturity is about being responsible.  Taking care of your own honeysuckle and not relying on someone else to do that for you" even if is still incomplete 

TheRealCallie said:
So yeah, maturity is having the correct priorities at the top of the list, not going out to party every night or whore it up with whoever is willing or whatever else fits in that category.

Going to parties doesn't make you immature, even if you spend lot of time doing that

AFrozenSoul said:
Well there is the physical side of things, but obviously you do not need me to tell you about that.  So to answer your question, maturity is what you make it.  You are mature as long as you think you are.  Often times people who are all up in arms about how immature I might be are just looking for a reason to feel superior to me.  SO I generally do not pay any attention to their whining as it is just a waste of time for me.  No instead I am just going to live my life.  If people find me immature well guess what they can just not spend time with me.  Chances are we would not get along anyway

I am talking about your perspective of the maturity, not as people see you. In my case people see me as a mature guy and responsable guy but i feel that something is missing

Nicolelt said:
I knew my husband was mature when he accidentally did a wheelie on the lawnmower, and instead of saying "Did you see that!?!?!" he said, "Oh my god, I almost died." lol

Doesn't make sense to me, saying did you see that is a way of joking about a pretty serious situation that could be fatal, instead of just being scared. Of course you should be scared and i would say "Did you see that? I almost died"

Richard_39 said:
Inferior?
If you mean you can't bench 300 pounds when others can, some of those others can't multiply by 6, either 🙂.
I dont think maturity is the quite right word, nor is the concept of "being a man". I have a friend who is an effiminate gay man, yet I view him, as he views himself, as much of a man as any other, because he is.
Dont let labels define you. You define the label instead.

Well, my bench press isn't that far away   :D  I feel inferior in "experience". Sex, travels, friends, everything that complete a fullfilling life. I almost can see this in their eyes

I would say that a mature man is the man that is sexually confident with a clear purpose in life, that respect himelf and is able to take care of himself and his family

After some days thinking about it this is the better definion i could come with

Nicolelt said:

Haha!

I'm in trouble because I would probably have shouted "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude!"

Unix said:
Well, my bench press isn't that far away   :D  I feel inferior in "experience". Sex, travels, friends, everything that complete a fullfilling life. I almost can see this in their eyes

I would say that a mature man is the man that is sexually confident with a clear purpose in life, that respect himelf and is able to take care of himself and his family

After some days thinking about it this is the better definion i could come with
Well see, it doesn't tie into sex at all. Why does confidence have to be about sexuality? Experience and maturity has ro do with life experience and age, much more than how much sex you've had in your life. To me, being a man is simple enough; it's about being the best person you possibly can be. If that means providing for a family, fine, but not every good man has an actual family to provide for. none of it has to do with sexuality. Used to be the same once. Though being a virgin made me less. It doesn't. Just means it hasnt happened yet, is all. You shouldnt let that play on you, man. You are as little or as much of a man as you decide to be.

And if others aren't down with that...well I got TWO WORDS FOR YA! ;-)

(this comment is brought to you by Degeneration-X)

beautiful loser said:
ringwood said:
Maturity is getting your driver's license at the ripe 'ol age of 46! Ha! (I still don't like driving though...) 😂😜

Baby steps, Wormy, baby steps :p   Congrats, on your achievement. :)

"I'm baby-stepping, I'm doing the work - I'm not a slacker!" (Bonus points if you know what movie that's from). Thanks Booger - feels good to be a semi-adult. 😜😂

Maturity to me is being able to deal with whatever life throws at you, without resorting to "petty" things and/or traits. Life isn't always easy, it's not always fun and at times you might hate it.

Now you can still be really immature at some aspects of life while being ahead of the curve on others.

Congratulations on getting your licence Ringwood :)

See? Maturity to me is getting your license at 46 and cruising down the highway with some Van Halen blasting away :)

ringwood said:
beautiful loser said:
ringwood said:
Maturity is getting your driver's license at the ripe 'ol age of 46! Ha! (I still don't like driving though...) 😂😜

Baby steps, Wormy, baby steps :p   Congrats, on your achievement. :)

"I'm baby-stepping, I'm doing the work - I'm not a slacker!" (Bonus points if you know what movie that's from). Thanks Booger - feels good to be a semi-adult. 😜😂

I'll take a wild guess....What About Bob? *yawn*   ;)   Now, load up the car full of Cheezies, Timmy's (double, double please) and Coffee Crisp and head on down south....we have lots of movies to watch :D

What?! You people don't have Coffee Crisps?! What a wretched land you live in....😂😜 (Yeah, yeah, Mr. Movie Buff....kinda figured that wouldn't stump you...)

I would say it's a degree of responsibility, of seeing things through on your own. Not everyone is going to have the same experiences in their life, at the same time. An adult simply directs their own life.

Latest posts

Back