Living Alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upbeach

Reaction score
I have lived alone for about 5 years now and there are times where it begins to weigh on me. If I'm really busy and invested in work or it's camping season, I'm able to kind of forget about it. But sometimes it's a bit much to continue to come home again and again to silence and emptiness. ​

My hobbies and other interests only take the edge off so much... I'm wondering if others have found a way to combat this cycle? ​

upbeach said:
I have lived alone for about 5 years now and there are times where it begins to weigh on me. If I'm really busy and invested in work or it's camping season, I'm able to kind of forget about it. But sometimes it's a bit much to continue to come home again and again to silence and emptiness. ​

My hobbies and other interests only take the edge off so much... I'm wondering if others have found a way to combat this cycle? ​

I don't know cause i'm in the opposite situation. I dislike my family and they absolutely hate me, but i can't go away because they are very short on money so if i will leave they will probably end up on the road.  Do you considered taking care of a dog? i have never tryed to do this by myself but when i was little my grandpa dog was my best friend. He really made me feel like i was loved

I agree that a dog (or other housepet) might help. I have a cat and although I am still lonely, it does help me a lot having him to come home to.

I lived alone for just over 8 years, after awhile even my hobbies didn't help and I started to neglect things in my life. If you can do it great but sometimes you need more.

I lived alone for about 25 years. Pets (or animal housemates if you prefer) help a lot. But I didn't do well living alone. I neglected neatness....then cleanliness....then I accepted total squalor as normal. I turned to regular heavy drinking too.
I pulled out of that though. When my psychotic 94 yr old mother dies, this place will be mine and I'll be alone again. We'll see how well I do then.
Sorry I'm not much help to you upbeach.

My only thought at this point is to get pets, such as dogs or birds who are more interactive than some pets. I agree it's a lot easier during busy times, but it's still noticeable.

One thing that I used to do when I got those annoying feelings like I had to be around people was remember all the things that would annoy me about hanging out with people. For instance, I have to take into account their comfort and their preferences and I have to deal with their issues and all that stuff. Just thinking about all that crap annoyed me to no end and I was happy that I was now alone and no one was around.

You just have to accept that people are a hassle. Every time the quiet get to be too much I would think about how a friend would be a vegan and would ***** and moan when I would make meat dishes. There is the other friend who complains about how dirty my place is. Then there is another friend who never returns anything I loan. Once I start remembering all of that. Being alone is much easier.

Plus having cats helps as well. You just love the kitties they are fantastic replacements for people.

Pets and online friends. For me, keeping up with social media help me in my lonely times when I live by myself.

Also, don't be afraid to do things like go to the movies alone, or the zoo, or a museum. My sister does this all the time and ends up talking to random people.

Latest posts

Back