Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living Alone
I have lived alone for about 5 years now and there are times where it begins to weigh on me. If I'm really busy and invested in work or it's camping season, I'm able to kind of forget about it. But sometimes it's a bit much to continue to come home again and again to silence and emptiness. 

My hobbies and other interests only take the edge off so much... I'm wondering if others have found a way to combat this cycle? 
(05-13-2018, 01:21 AM)upbeach Wrote:
I have lived alone for about 5 years now and there are times where it begins to weigh on me. If I'm really busy and invested in work or it's camping season, I'm able to kind of forget about it. But sometimes it's a bit much to continue to come home again and again to silence and emptiness. 

My hobbies and other interests only take the edge off so much... I'm wondering if others have found a way to combat this cycle? 

I don't know cause i'm in the opposite situation. I dislike my family and they absolutely hate me, but i can't go away because they are very short on money so if i will leave they will probably end up on the road.  Do you considered taking care of a dog? i have never tryed to do this by myself but when i was little my grandpa dog was my best friend. He really made me feel like i was loved
"To conquer one's loneliness one must first conquer one's fears"
I agree that a dog (or other housepet) might help. I have a cat and although I am still lonely, it does help me a lot having him to come home to.
I lived alone for just over 8 years, after awhile even my hobbies didn't help and I started to neglect things in my life. If you can do it great but sometimes you need more.

[Image: mlJt1O.gif]
I lived alone for about 25 years. Pets (or animal housemates if you prefer) help a lot. But I didn't do well living alone. I neglected neatness....then cleanliness....then I accepted total squalor as normal. I turned to regular heavy drinking too.
I pulled out of that though. When my psychotic 94 yr old mother dies, this place will be mine and I'll be alone again. We'll see how well I do then.
Sorry I'm not much help to you upbeach.
What we think we become.
My only thought at this point is to get pets, such as dogs or birds who are more interactive than some pets. I agree it's a lot easier during busy times, but it's still noticeable.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living a lonely life Explosion 2 145 05-23-2018, 04:21 AM
Last Post: baileyf14
  Yes, lonliness does cause anger. I am living proof Restless soul 19 2,653 11-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: planetlonely23
  Feeling lonely living alone 1stTiger 12 3,384 11-04-2016, 05:32 AM
Last Post: farrah
  A vicious lonely cycle (living trapped) prokofievs 7 2,035 06-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Last Post: prokofievs
  Do you think envy is natural when living a lonely fate? differentlonelygirl 19 4,242 06-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Last Post: 0doc
  Advice on a Life Worth Living N1616** 13 3,386 03-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ichat
  Living in the Dark Forest LeilaniAWarrior 6 2,056 03-14-2014, 04:59 AM
Last Post: LeilaniAWarrior
  Living In Two Separate Worlds solitudeinside 19 3,037 12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Last Post: solitudeinside
  I'm so sick of living the same day all the time. klatter 5 5,283 09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Smokey
  Does living with parents contribute to loneliness and should I move? Wind Fish 14 3,630 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Last Post: ladyforsaken