How do I help people with depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not an easy task. You have to be able to deal with lengthy bouts of sadness, mood swings, to suicidal thoughts and or actions. There are different degrees of depression and it can take a toll on everyone. It takes a lot of emotional support and the only real thing you can do is to be there for them when they need/want someone to talk to. You can't force them to talk or force yourself upon them, sometimes just sitting there quietly with them can do a lot more than you think. Sadly though it takes a lot more than most people are willing to give these days.

Do you want to help random people or people you actually know well?
There's no really much you can do for random people, except just doing kind things throughout the day for other people. Smile and say hi to people. Posting on threads with advice and whatnot on forums. Things like that.
For people you actually do know. Do your best to try to cheer them up, be there for them in the long run and don't give up on them. Try to get them to go out without pushing them too much. Talk to them and all the things Sci said.

But, inevitably, if they don't want to feel better, it's very unlikely that they will. Sometimes it's easier to just stay miserable. I know some might attack me for that, but I don't really care. It's easier to stay depressed and alone/miserable than doing the hard work it takes to get yourself out of a depressed state. I think the best thing you can do is make sure they know they are not alone, that someone does care.

Since it's essentially their choice and therefore their fault all you can do is offer some cookie cutter advice from a position of superiority.

Sarcasm, obviously. If they're unable to function in daily life and then it's clearly clinical depression then they need to be referred to a GP or psychiatrist, first and foremost. If that's already happened and they're taking whatever's been prescribed, simply being their to listen, checking in with them every so often.

Mrloggy said:
I want to make people with depression feel better.

That's admirable.  Many people don't care about how other people, especially depressed people, deal with their lives.  Some people I do believe are called to help those people.  You sound like one of them.  Have you considered getting a counseling degree?

Before you do anything, I'd recommend reading a book called The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon. You have to make sure that you understand something entirely, not only from your perspective but from many others, before you think about helping them.

Latest posts

Back