The Job Hunt is Over

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extreme Unit

Reaction score
This is an update from a post I made in the low self-esteem section a couple of weeks ago. I'd been trying to get work for almost two years and was having trouble selling myself in the many job interviews I've had in the past month. I am happy to report that I have finally landed a job at one of the Albertson's stores here in my county. 

I'd filled out the online application as per usual and walked in on Tuesday April 24th to give the hiring lady my resume. She told me their store would be having interviews the following week, when school would be getting closer to getting out for the summer. After I had some interviews at a few other stores, she phoned me and asked if I could come in for an interview on Tuesday May 8th, which of course I did. 

This "interview" was a forty-five second conversation in the lobby in which I simply told her about my past work experience, then upon her request gave her the phone number from my previous job so she could ask the manager some questions about me. The fact that I'd been consistent about calling and checking in every so often seemed to be sufficient for her, and after talking to my previous manager who apparently said a lot of good things about me, she called on Wednesday May 9th and offered me a position. Sounds like I'm going to be bagging groceries and gathering shopping carts, but maybe later on I'll get to move into one of the other departments. I just had my orientation yesterday, and my first day of work starts tomorrow.

If there's anything I learned from this, it's that you should never quit your job thinking you can just get another one. I had to kiss a lot of asses and be told "No" a lot of times to get to this point. Quite frankly, the reason I got this job was because I didn't really have an interview... at least, not in the sense where the hiring lady sat me down in her office and asked me the usual string of questions that every interviewer asks. If that happened, she would have surely seen my awkwardness and not given me another thought. The reason I got this job was because of what someone else told her about me. I am fortunate for this to have occurred, and I resolve to never take it for granted again. 

With that being said, I am glad that the job hunt is finally over. My mood has already improved, and I can sleep better at night knowing that I have a source of income to secure myself. There are a lot of cities in my area that I would have been fine working in, but I'm glad it's going to be this one in particular. If I can get enough hours on a consistent basis, the next step would be to start looking for a house so I can be completely on my own. I'll let you know how that turns out. That's all for now. Peace.

Congratulations. This sounds like it's going to be a good base to build up from. You have the right attitude to go far.

Latest posts

Back