Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening
I'm looking forward to having a garden again  Smile I'm in a small cabin at the mo but in the not too distant future i'll be looking for a house with as big a garden as I can get and here in the highlands they tend to be large as space isn't at a premium. I like pottering  Smile weeding planting sowing and watching the season go by- getting attuned to the growing year -averting disasters in whatever form they come....pests,draught,storms it can be a battle sometimes. My last garden was on a park home site with not much space but I optimised every inch and was a productive and relaxing place to be. Apart from flowers and veg I managed to squeeze in- raspberrys, gooseberrys, strawberrys, blueberrys,blackcurrents, 1 apple espalier, I pear espalier, 1 john downie crab apple, 1 craetagous prunifolia, 1 rowan, 3 rose bushes, 1 climbing rose, 1 miniature climbering rose, and a ornamental blackberry.
I like managed anarchy! with lots of annuals self seeding and growing in unlikely places- formal gardens don't float my boat but each to there own. I used to be a working gardener and could usually tell what a new client was going to be like by the character of his or her garden.
I expect theres quite a few gardeners on these forums who's gardens keep them cheerful/sane/grateful as well as stocked with fruit and veg- its a joy Big Grin                                                                                                                  [Image: 001-3.jpg]

ADVERTISEMENTS
I've never had a garden before. I'd love to have one. I'd take pride in it. Smile
(05-22-2018, 02:55 AM)Zook Wrote: I've never had a garden before. I'd love to have one. I'd take pride in it. Smile

Good luck to you Zook I hope you do, it really is a winner -  creativity relaxation productivity and you don't need a lot of space- heres strawberrys grown in a old sawed up bed/settee frame  Smile
[Image: 007-4.jpg]

ADVERTISEMENTS
My property keeps me sane. Last few years I've been putting in rows of Oaks....red oak, white oak and burr oak. Whoever owns the land in years to come will have stately, planned shade trees. There are numerous mature ash trees at the moment but they're all doomed to die as the emerald ash borer spreads across No. America. Thanks for the gift, China.
Oh yeah, I put in a little apple orchard back in 2010.
Contentment comes from within.  Do not seek it from outside yourself.

(05-22-2018, 11:58 AM)constant stranger Wrote: My property keeps me sane.  Last few years I've been putting in rows of Oaks....red oak, white oak and burr oak.  Whoever owns the land in years to come will have stately, planned shade trees.  There are numerous mature ash trees at the moment but they're all doomed to die as the emerald ash borer spreads across No. America.  Thanks for the gift, China.
Oh yeah, I put in a little apple orchard back in 2010.

More power to you constant stranger  Smile sounds like youre on a mission. Red oak has always been one of my favourite trees [quercus rubra] more elegant than English oak with a cleaner less burry trunk and beautiful autumn colour. I don't think i'll ever be planting on the scale you are but if I get a largish plot I may be able to plant a small wood and orchard and espaliers for boundaries.[Image: 003.jpg]
(05-21-2018, 07:47 PM)Chief broom Wrote: I'm looking forward to having a garden again  Smile I'm in a small cabin at the mo but in the not too distant future i'll be looking for a house with as big a garden as I can get and here in the highlands they tend to be large as space isn't at a premium. I like pottering  Smile weeding planting sowing and watching the season go by- getting attuned to the growing year -averting disasters in whatever form they come....pests,draught,storms it can be a battle sometimes. My last garden was on a park home site with not much space but I optimised every inch and was a productive and relaxing place to be. Apart from flowers and veg I managed to squeeze in- raspberrys, gooseberrys, strawberrys, blueberrys,blackcurrents, 1 apple espalier, I pear espalier, 1 john downie crab apple, 1 craetagous prunifolia, 1 rowan, 3 rose bushes, 1 climbing rose, 1 miniature climbering rose, and a ornamental blackberry.
I like managed anarchy! with lots of annuals self seeding and growing in unlikely places- formal gardens don't float my boat but each to there own. I used to be a working gardener and could usually tell what a new client was going to be like by the character of his or her garden.
I expect theres quite a few gardeners on these forums who's gardens keep them cheerful/sane/grateful as well as stocked with fruit and veg- its a joy Big Grin                                                                                                                  [Image: 001-3.jpg]

Wow love your  foxgloves and Michelmas Chief.Same here but am involved in garden design now and tree surgery but still get a buzz doing my own when I get time
Hi Joturbo thanks for the comment, Any garden of mine will always have foxgloves- I like to strew native flower seeds around like cornflowers,poppies,oxeye daisys,campanula,foxgloves etc and they can establish in there own good time. I haven't done much garden design work but was a tree surgeon in London for a few years [ex merrist wood trained]
Good luck with your career and look after your back,gardening can take its toll what with all the bending and lifting Rolleyes Smile
[Image: 029.jpg]
Thanks Chief ,my backs ok have been working since thirteen years old in the private gardens with a bit of a break in the office so am still able to lug compost and,shrubs trees etc about be a bit slower now Winkand try to avoid too much digging with the help of others Toungue .Love your cottage garden think I've only seen one like yours in the years I worked was full of Aquilegia(all colours) ,day lilies , iris , tulips and  daffs ,helleborous(white )anenomes and wallflowers that lasted five years or more not biennal.Preferred that time to now much more my own boss then ..more freedom .Keep up the good work,nothing like gardening to keep busy..always jobs to do as you well know.cheers Chief.

You'll have to do an open day someday Smile.
Beautiful pictures. They're really enjoyable to look at. I'd like to start a garden of fruits and vegetables.
(05-28-2018, 01:26 PM)VanillaCreme Wrote: Beautiful pictures. They're really enjoyable to look at. I'd like to start a garden of fruits and vegetables.

Hi VanillaCreme glad you like the pics Smile I'm still hoping other forum users may post some pics of there gardens too- would be good to see some variety from around the world.
Good luck with your project  Smile [Image: 026.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  some dumb gardening questions csmswhs 4 3,988 08-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Minus
  gardening Elaeagnus 8 5,184 06-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Last Post: tony30