Gardening

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief broom

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to having a garden again  :) I'm in a small cabin at the mo but in the not too distant future i'll be looking for a house with as big a garden as I can get and here in the highlands they tend to be large as space isn't at a premium. I like pottering  :) weeding planting sowing and watching the season go by- getting attuned to the growing year -averting disasters in whatever form they come....pests,draught,storms it can be a battle sometimes. My last garden was on a park home site with not much space but I optimised every inch and was a productive and relaxing place to be. Apart from flowers and veg I managed to squeeze in- raspberrys, gooseberrys, strawberrys, blueberrys,blackcurrents, 1 apple espalier, I pear espalier, 1 john downie crab apple, 1 craetagous prunifolia, 1 rowan, 3 rose bushes, 1 climbing rose, 1 miniature climbering rose, and a ornamental blackberry.
I like managed anarchy! with lots of annuals self seeding and growing in unlikely places- formal gardens don't float my boat but each to there own. I used to be a working gardener and could usually tell what a new client was going to be like by the character of his or her garden.
I expect theres quite a few gardeners on these forums who's gardens keep them cheerful/sane/grateful as well as stocked with fruit and veg- its a joy :D                                                                                                                 

I've never had a garden before. I'd love to have one. I'd take pride in it. :)

Zook said:
I've never had a garden before. I'd love to have one. I'd take pride in it. :)

Good luck to you Zook I hope you do, it really is a winner -  creativity relaxation productivity and you don't need a lot of space- heres strawberrys grown in a old sawed up bed/settee frame  :)

My property keeps me sane. Last few years I've been putting in rows of Oaks....red oak, white oak and burr oak. Whoever owns the land in years to come will have stately, planned shade trees. There are numerous mature ash trees at the moment but they're all doomed to die as the emerald ash borer spreads across No. America. Thanks for the gift, China.
Oh yeah, I put in a little apple orchard back in 2010.

constant stranger said:
My property keeps me sane.  Last few years I've been putting in rows of Oaks....red oak, white oak and burr oak.  Whoever owns the land in years to come will have stately, planned shade trees.  There are numerous mature ash trees at the moment but they're all doomed to die as the emerald ash borer spreads across No. America.  Thanks for the gift, China.
Oh yeah, I put in a little apple orchard back in 2010.

More power to you constant stranger  :) sounds like youre on a mission. Red oak has always been one of my favourite trees [quercus rubra] more elegant than English oak with a cleaner less burry trunk and beautiful autumn colour. I don't think i'll ever be planting on the scale you are but if I get a largish plot I may be able to plant a small wood and orchard and espaliers for boundaries.

Chief broom said:
I'm looking forward to having a garden again  :) I'm in a small cabin at the mo but in the not too distant future i'll be looking for a house with as big a garden as I can get and here in the highlands they tend to be large as space isn't at a premium. I like pottering  :) weeding planting sowing and watching the season go by- getting attuned to the growing year -averting disasters in whatever form they come....pests,draught,storms it can be a battle sometimes. My last garden was on a park home site with not much space but I optimised every inch and was a productive and relaxing place to be. Apart from flowers and veg I managed to squeeze in- raspberrys, gooseberrys, strawberrys, blueberrys,blackcurrents, 1 apple espalier, I pear espalier, 1 john downie crab apple, 1 craetagous prunifolia, 1 rowan, 3 rose bushes, 1 climbing rose, 1 miniature climbering rose, and a ornamental blackberry.
I like managed anarchy! with lots of annuals self seeding and growing in unlikely places- formal gardens don't float my boat but each to there own. I used to be a working gardener and could usually tell what a new client was going to be like by the character of his or her garden.
I expect theres quite a few gardeners on these forums who's gardens keep them cheerful/sane/grateful as well as stocked with fruit and veg- its a joy :D                                                                                                                 

Wow love your  foxgloves and Michelmas Chief.Same here but am involved in garden design now and tree surgery but still get a buzz doing my own when I get time

Hi Joturbo thanks for the comment, Any garden of mine will always have foxgloves- I like to strew native flower seeds around like cornflowers,poppies,oxeye daisys,campanula,foxgloves etc and they can establish in there own good time. I haven't done much garden design work but was a tree surgeon in London for a few years [ex merrist wood trained]
Good luck with your career and look after your back,gardening can take its toll what with all the bending and lifting :rolleyes: :)

Thanks Chief ,my backs ok have been working since thirteen years old in the private gardens with a bit of a break in the office so am still able to lug compost and,shrubs trees etc about be a bit slower now ;)and try to avoid too much digging with the help of others :p .Love your cottage garden think I've only seen one like yours in the years I worked was full of Aquilegia(all colours) ,day lilies , iris , tulips and  daffs ,helleborous(white )anenomes and wallflowers that lasted five years or more not biennal.Preferred that time to now much more my own boss then ..more freedom .Keep up the good work,nothing like gardening to keep busy..always jobs to do as you well know.cheers Chief.

You'll have to do an open day someday :).

Beautiful pictures. They're really enjoyable to look at. I'd like to start a garden of fruits and vegetables.

VanillaCreme said:
Beautiful pictures. They're really enjoyable to look at. I'd like to start a garden of fruits and vegetables.

Hi VanillaCreme glad you like the pics :) I'm still hoping other forum users may post some pics of there gardens too- would be good to see some variety from around the world.
Good luck with your project  :)

I have just moved and don't really have much of a garden to work with any more, (certainly no grass)

I have put some tubs of plants out though to add a splash of colour. I'm using my phone at the moment, but when I'm on the pc later I'll add some pictures.

PurpleStar said:
I have just moved and don't really have much of a garden to work with any more, (certainly no grass)

I have put some tubs of plants out though to add a splash of colour. I'm using my phone at the moment, but when I'm on the pc later I'll add some pictures.

:) Will look forward to pics PurpleStar! I was musing to myself what a positive occupation gardening is- over a life time we may have tiny to large gardens but whatever the size when we walk past or come home to a recent planting or cheerful colours it reinforces our positive outlook and life affirmation! :)

33897372_10157620820703975_1357670601426206720_n.jpg

34070248_10157620820618975_4301794906726203392_n.jpg

33923384_10157620819023975_422716015621701632_n.jpg

33848381_10157620818948975_7516486479338536960_n.jpg

34089328_10157620820518975_1610611224171511808_n.jpg

33867115_10157620819038975_4936784587121491968_n.jpg

It's getting there 
Still a few more bits I want to do, but at least it looks a little more cheery out there

Hi PurpleStar well done  :) that looks like quite a tricky spot to plant with a lot of shade- the violas and fuschia should be happy.  I was trying to think of other annuals which might suit- impatiens [busy lizzie] and nasturtiums should work and climbing nasturtiums could give you some height. If theres a sunny spot a wigwam of sweet peas would be nice for fragrance. Love the owl!  :)

Those little pink tri-pot planters are too cute. Those would be perfect for me to see if I can grow anything.

Chief broom said:
Hi PurpleStar well done  :) that looks like quite a tricky spot to plant with a lot of shade- the violas and fuschia should be happy.  I was trying to think of other annuals which might suit- impatiens [busy lizzie] and nasturtiums should work and climbing nasturtiums could give you some height. If theres a sunny spot a wigwam of sweet peas would be nice for fragrance. Love the owl!  :)

It is a little. It does get the sun of an afternoon, but nowhere near as much as the other side.
I love busy lizzies. I did wonder about Sweet Williams too as they don't mind light shade. I do rotate the pots a little sometimes to get them all a little more light. Only thing that doesn't work for is the lavender as that is in a brick built pot that was already there. Having said that, it is doing really well now, and we've even had bees visiting. Turns out the green astroturf bit the other side of the gate is ours too, so I would like to do something with that as well.
The owl is cute isn't he. I now have some little wooden rabbits in a couple of the pots too.

VanillaCreme said:
Those little pink tri-pot planters are too cute. Those would be perfect for me to see if I can grow anything.
They are wonderful aren't they. I was so pleased when I found them (the round ones are from the same place), as they are so much more exciting than the plain orange/brown ones). Even before the plants flowered, just having the coloured pots there made a world of difference.

Ahhh! I can't wait to get out of this apartment so I can garden again.

Nicolelt said:
Ahhh! I can't wait to get out of this apartment so I can garden again.

Hi Nicolelt i can understand and empathise how you feel :) your heartfelt appeal sounded like a song chorus :)  

Ahhh!

I cant wait to get out of this apartment

So I can garden again!  :D                                                                                                                               

Latest posts

Back