Tired of trying to be "normal"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas

Reaction score
i tried of doing all the things "normal" people do, socializing, doing things together, talking about current pop culture, trying to seem happy and content. im none of those, i decided i cant pretand anymore. I'm lonely and pasimic nihillist and thats about it

I recently started an office job in a corporate environment, and I come home so drained from pretending to be normal.

Normal is a relative term. Judging by the standards of normalcy pushed by society and media, Id say the vast majority of Earth is definetely abnormal.

Thank the gods...

I don't believe in normal since everyone's definitions seem to vary. Normal isn't fun anyways so it's better to just be you! ^^

Without knowing how old anyone here is, I think a lot of people in this thread are going to be pleasantly surprised when they hit middle age.  It's like leaving The Matrix.   :D

The problem is, you call memes 'current pop culture'

that's why you have no friends

meme said:
The problem is, you call memes 'current pop culture'

that's why you have no friends

Quit putting OP down dude. Your comment is full of mockery and condescension.

I can't be fake any longer either. I can't be me, but at least I am comfortable with accepting that I am not a social butterfly, and no matter how sweet and kind I am, that is not going to make people love me or want to spend time with me.

I wish I did not want or need socialization. I told my hubby today that if our pets talked to me, I would only want him in my life, I would say F everyone, family included.

Nicholas said:
i tried of doing all the things "normal" people do, socializing, doing things together, talking about current pop culture, trying to seem happy and content. im none of those, i decided i cant pretand anymore. I'm lonely and pasimic nihillist and thats about it

I saw a sign the other day that I loved.  It said - "Instead of a DO NOT DISTURB" sign on my door, I should put a sign that say "ALREADY DISTURBED - PROCEED WITH CAUTION!"

Seriously, although we all have to make a little social effort at some point, people can't get to know the real you unless you let the real you surface at some point.  It's a tightrope!

The keyboard of life has so many notes on it - none of them of normal, but some are played more often than others - but without each and every note, the world would not be the beautiful place it is.

But as Glowgirl says, you do need to get out there and let people hear you!

I gave up being what society deems "normal" many many years ago. I just decided I didn't care anymore. I became kind of a hermit for a long time. I was made fun of by neighbours...labeled a snob and called "the one who lives in the cave"...very derogatory. Just because I don't feel comfortable socializing doesn't mean I'm a wicked, weird old lady, well, I'm only in my fifties anyway. It used to bother me a lot when I was looked down upon, but now I don't care. It seems even most adults can't accept anyone who is different, it's like they never left high school and I can't stand that attitude.

I'm friendly, but in no way do I want to be social. I choose not to have friends and all family has passed on. I have one person in my life who is very toxic and I'm working hard on getting rid of him too. There's nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy your own company. I actually prefer the company of my pets over people. It's humanity that makes me the most depressed and I avoid it at all costs.

that makes me so sad Miriam1966.

I feel like I am leaning towards your ways of thinking and feeling about society the way people just cannot wait to make fun of you or reject you for differences.

I do feel happier since I went at least slightly off the grid, no more facebook every 5 minutes. I feel like I was looking for acceptance and approval on there that was never going to manifest no matter how many nice happy pics I shared or how optimistic my posts were.......I couldn't be real, if I was real on there, then people acted funny, like they don't have any issues at all and what am I thinking by posting about anything in my personal life is that is less than perfect.

I just feel so sad about the way all of my old friends treat me now, because I live far from my home town, but I tried to stay in contact with so many of them online and texting or phone calls,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still, after I found out my son was in jail and why, and it was really hard to take alone,,,,,,,,no one stepped up to listen to my heart break, so i said enough,,,,,,if they cant be here at my worst, they dont get my best either, i will share my best with only my pets and hubby from now on........my mind is less stressed since i quit facebook, but the same empty lonliness is still there, guess it always will be,,,,,,,,,,i get accused of being stuck up and always have because i am so shy,,,.,,,,we all cannot act or feel the same, we really would be robots if we did,,,,,,,,,??

TammyLynn1972 said:
that makes me so sad Miriam1966.

I feel like I am leaning towards your ways of thinking and feeling about society the way people just cannot wait to make fun of you or reject you for differences.

I do feel happier since I went at least slightly off the grid, no more facebook every 5 minutes. I feel like I was looking for acceptance and approval on there that was never going to manifest no matter how many nice happy pics I shared or how optimistic my posts were.......I couldn't be real, if I was real on there, then people acted funny, like they don't have any issues at all and what am I thinking by posting about anything in my personal life is that is less than perfect.

I just feel so sad about the way all of my old friends treat me now, because I live far from my home town, but I tried to stay in contact with so many of them online and texting or phone calls,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still, after I found out my son was in jail and why, and it was really hard to take alone,,,,,,,,no one stepped up to listen to my heart break, so i said enough,,,,,,if they cant be here at my worst, they dont get my best either, i will share my best with only my pets and hubby from now on........my mind is less stressed since i quit facebook, but the same empty lonliness is still there, guess it always will be,,,,,,,,,,i get accused of being stuck up and always have because i am so shy,,,.,,,,we all cannot act or feel the same, we really would be robots if we did,,,,,,,,,??

Yes...I agree with everything you say. When I fell into deep depression at the age of 30, my friends acted as though I had the plague. It was a double betrayal because in depression, you always feel so alone, then they added insult to injury and started talking behind my back that I was crazy. I let them all go with one swift move and never looked back. I never made new friends after that, just online ones because I couldn't handle that betrayal and the memories and pain it caused. People like being around you when you can serve them somehow or serve their egos, that's my opinion anyway.

I'm not sad about having no friends. I rather enjoy my pets and my own company much better. I have less stress, though at times like today when I've been through abuse, I could sure use some human interaction. But I'm too scared for that anyway. Talking with people here is helping.

I agree about FB, needing that approval, I quit FB many years ago because I felt it was the loneliest platform out there. Suddenly people who used to email me, felt that a little "like" or a "wink" was enough to nurture a friendship. I let them all go too. Being a hermit is okay if you have things in your life you enjoy. I'm working on getting my toxic bf out of my life in the next 6 months, then I suspect I'll just be alone for the rest of my life. But again, I'm okay with that. I don't NEED people in my life.

> "When I fell into deep depression at the age of 30, my friends acted as though I had the plague. It was a double betrayal because in depression, you always feel so alone, then they added insult to injury and started talking behind my back that I was crazy"

I very understand you. Once I had the same problem.
I fell into depression at the age of 19, and the most part of my so called "friends" started to mock and insult me. They despised me while I was helpless and defenceless.
It was hard to believe that my fellows can act this way.
My depression lasted from 19 to 21 years, and in that period I lost many so called "friends".

I am tired of trying to be normal, too.
The first time I faced this problem at my job.
My coworkers rejected me because could not understand and accept me.
They said I am an alien for them. They was despising and mocking me for years.
Finally, I lost my job. I could not stand this constant stress anymore. I do not work during last two years.
I almost became a hermit. Because I am too tired of pretending that I am "normal".

Latest posts

Back