Tired of trying to be "normal"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standards of 'normality' are too high these days. Instead, I choose to embrace being different. To hell with anyone who cannot accept me for who I am.

Nicholas said:
i tried of doing all the things "normal" people do, socializing, doing things together, talking about current pop culture, trying to seem happy and content. im none of those, i decided i cant pretand anymore. I'm lonely and pasimic nihillist and thats about it

Accepting who you are is a relief to be honest.  I remember trying (for years) to fit in here and there, and it never working out.  Many of those times I regretted trying, sometimes it's just not in your blood. I felt 100% better once I accepted that I would go it alone.  At that point, you can ignore the world, and work on yourself.

I do recommend investing in learning some social skills that you feel you lack, even if it's just reading about them and trying them out from time to time as opportunity knocks.  As I've said before, as much as we try to be an island, we still occasionally have to cross the bridge into civilization on an as needed basis.  And it helps knowing how to navigate the social world, even if you're being fake.  The skills insulate you from feeling as if you just set yourself up for failure.

Just be you. The right people will come along.
Plus normal isn't something I'd like to be.
I'm quite weird, haha. Embrace your weird side. :)

Stop trying to be what you are not.

Because you are who you were always meant to be.

Miriam1966 said:
TammyLynn1972 said:
that makes me so sad Miriam1966.

I feel like I am leaning towards your ways of thinking and feeling about society the way people just cannot wait to make fun of you or reject you for differences.

I do feel happier since I went at least slightly off the grid, no more facebook every 5 minutes. I feel like I was looking for acceptance and approval on there that was never going to manifest no matter how many nice happy pics I shared or how optimistic my posts were.......I couldn't be real, if I was real on there, then people acted funny, like they don't have any issues at all and what am I thinking by posting about anything in my personal life is that is less than perfect.

I just feel so sad about the way all of my old friends treat me now, because I live far from my home town, but I tried to stay in contact with so many of them online and texting or phone calls,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still, after I found out my son was in jail and why, and it was really hard to take alone,,,,,,,,no one stepped up to listen to my heart break, so i said enough,,,,,,if they cant be here at my worst, they dont get my best either, i will share my best with only my pets and hubby from now on........my mind is less stressed since i quit facebook, but the same empty lonliness is still there, guess it always will be,,,,,,,,,,i get accused of being stuck up and always have because i am so shy,,,.,,,,we all cannot act or feel the same, we really would be robots if we did,,,,,,,,,??

Yes...I agree with everything you say. When I fell into deep depression at the age of 30, my friends acted as though I had the plague. It was a double betrayal because in depression, you always feel so alone, then they added insult to injury and started talking behind my back that I was crazy. I let them all go with one swift move and never looked back. I never made new friends after that, just online ones because I couldn't handle that betrayal and the memories and pain it caused. People like being around you when you can serve them somehow or serve their egos, that's my opinion anyway.

I'm not sad about having no friends. I rather enjoy my pets and my own company much better. I have less stress, though at times like today when I've been through abuse, I could sure use some human interaction. But I'm too scared for that anyway. Talking with people here is helping.

I agree about FB, needing that approval, I quit FB many years ago because I felt it was the loneliest platform out there. Suddenly people who used to email me, felt that a little "like" or a "wink" was enough to nurture a friendship. I let them all go too. Being a hermit is okay if you have things in your life you enjoy. I'm working on getting my toxic bf out of my life in the next 6 months, then I suspect I'll just be alone for the rest of my life. But again, I'm okay with that. I don't NEED people in my life.

That's very interesting that you say that because I observe many people being well liked just so that others can use them for whatever reason.
i left fb too because i felt everything about it was very fake. stats said people on fb are more likely to be depressed because they feel others have better lives.

curious, how is it that you enjoy your own company better? what activities do you participate in and what do you think about on a regular basis that you enjoy being alone in your head? I always wondered what "normal" people think about.

Latest posts

Back