Popular Girl taking over and getting too much attention

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm in 8th garde.

And so theres this girl in the class, shes the popular one.
All the girls follow her at break time, like where ever she goes the girls follow her. 
All the boys has a crush on her, literally every boy in our class has had a crush on her.
She is good at everything. She has the most perfect handwriting, shes good at art, singing, dancing, shes super pretty. She is a super organized person, and she has great fashion style. She literally has rainbows in her eyes, she has green hazel a little bit of red. She's not too skinny or too fat. Shes not too small or too tall. Shes good at school, like shes doesn't get perfect grades but she gets like 50-70%
She's also funny and all the boys like her. Like her textbooks are all organised, she has that perfect handwriting that you find when you google "perfect handwriting". She's also very rich, she just came back from a cruise and now shes going on another on in the summer vacations.
So Yeah I think you get why shes popular, but like every popular girl, shes a *****.

She walks a little faster at break time so shes ahead of the girls and it looks like they are following her, and if the girls dont follow her when she walks somewhere else she awkwardly comes back, or shes like "come on guys!" And she pulls us by hand. And it's so annoying, like I don't wanna be her sheep so when everyone goes to her and I stay back I go back to them because I dont wanna seem like a loner :(
And the super annoying this is that shes actually a fun person, like shes fun to hangout with but she is still a *****.
Like when shes in the middle but some of the girls are kinda pushing her out when we are walking she spreads her arms and when shes walking she literally pushes us a little to the side. It's hard to explain but.

And the thing about all boys having a crush on her. Like I hear the boys like "I wanna fuc her". And now shes being a ***** about it... Once at lunch time when we were all sitting she was giving us a list of people having a crush on her "Omg all the boys have a crush on me, like (names all the  boys having a crush on her) And it just makes us all so uncomfortable. Her best friend had a crush on this guy and the guy was super nice to that best friend, and we were all trying to figure out who he likes and the popular girl was like "Omg It's obviously me! All the boys like me"

She loves attention. And so me and her are like good friends we hang out n stuff, but when ever we thing of a fun idea or something she takes credit, let me give a list.
- When we were all outside chilling I found a broken pink phone and a shovel next to it and we were all laughing we picked it up with the shovel and went to the boys to show we were breaking the phone open and stuff. And then when the school bell rang and we were walking back to class and she was like "Im so glad I found the phone" And I was like "lol I found the phone" and she was like "Well I fond the shovel" Like beech u didn't.

- We had to do a community project as pairs and me and her were pairs, And I thought of the idea of helping dogs in a way, and she kept saying stuff like "This was my idea" like beeesh

- In ICT (computer class) we had to think of something to make an app for. And when we took the tablets were secretly playing a kids game (where u outline numbers and letters) and then I was like "OMG im gonna do my app about this". and when we were both were making it she was like "I thought of this idea" and sheet. like OMg

Ok and another annoying thing she said

We were all talking about who would be who in the High School Musical movie (We all love that movie)

And I was like to another girl "Omg you should be gabriella cuz you have blackish brown hair!" and then the popular girl was like "No Im gabriella because im the gabriella in the class" Like omg what.

So yeah.. help me what do i do how do i make myself feel better.

Shes like like regina George from Mean girls.
And she says stuff like "There are no popular girls in our class!"
 HELP EME WHAT TO DO

Ok... One just because a boy says he wants to fresia someone doesn't mean it's a crush, doesn't mean he even likes her. It's just a stupid thing teenagers (and some adults) say because hormones and puberty.

Two, you said she's your friend... Why? If you don't even like her why do you label her as your friend? 

Three, simple fix if you don't want to hang around this person... Don't hang around her. You've only got what four more years of high school? After that you probably won't ever see her or even most of your class ever again.

Last, high school really isn't that big of a deal. Have fun, do your best grades wise and go to college if your career goals call for it. But don't take it too seriously because it's ending and soon.

Hope that helps.

kaetic said:
Two, you said she's your friend... Why? If you don't even like her why do you label her as your friend? 

Three, simple fix if you don't want to hang around this person... Don't hang around her. You've only got what four more years of high school? After that you probably won't ever see her or even most of your class ever again.

I was thinking this too, reading through the post. I was also thinking that you can't have both. You either hang with her, or you don't. If you happen to seem like a loner because you don't care to be around her, that's just something that's going to happen if someone were to think it. No one may even think that, other than yourself overthinking it. But you either do or you don't. I personally never hang around people - even 12 years removed from schooling - that I don't care to be around. I'll gladly look like a loner if it means I don't have to deal with someone.

Probably important to keep the age of the OP in mind and tailor constructive responses accordingly.

Of course me not being a member of this forum anymore I can't comment anyway :p

But during my single mother years when I had three hours free in the evenings :D which were very handy when my kid was in a similar position to the op , the numerous meetings with teachers that followed(I'll not say why) and the honeysuckle that resulted over six months of hell for me as a parent.....and all that I learnt about popular teenagers and followers .I still wouldn't touch this with a bargepole (give advice I mean) :club:

By the way adults nick ideas too I've got the tee shirt.

OK. I was a nerd at school.

I'm 48 and can only give you my life experience. The "popular girl" will end up with a teenaged pregnancy and spend her life overweight and working at Walmart on minimum wage. You will quietly do well. I'm not saying this to be nice; I'm saying it because I'm old enough to have seen this play out many times, and I know I'm right.

kaetic said:
Ok... One just because a boy says he wants to fresia someone doesn't mean it's a crush, doesn't mean he even likes her. It's just a stupid thing teenagers (and some adults) say because hormones and puberty.

Last, high school really isn't that big of a deal. Have fun, do your best grades wise and go to college if your career goals call for it. But don't take it too seriously because it's ending and soon.

Hope that helps.

I know the guy who wants to fuc her doesn't have a crush on her. Just the fact that every boy in the class has liked her in some way, I don't really care if they like me or not it's just frustrating.
I mean shes fun to hang out with but she can be a *****

All the girls revolve around her, so if I don't have out with her. Theres no one to hang out. Theres two other girls but they are always on their phone and I don't get along with them and stuff.
I can't have fun if I'm sitting on a bench alone at break or lunch time, or I can;t have fun at the library alone.

I can't stay alone for 4 years. My best friend is leaving next year. 
I know high school isn't a big deal but I wanna have fun. That popular girl is fun but It's just torturing to just sit around as she pushes people.
It's ending in 4 years 
I just want to have a good time at school. 
Idk I just needed to rant because I can't tell any of my friends at school.
And she doesn't flirt with guys n stuff, she just doesn't seem to care.
It's just she has a perfect life and idk

TheLoadedDog said:
OK.  I was a nerd at school.

I'm 48 and can only give you my life experience.  The "popular girl" will end up with a teenaged pregnancy and spend her life overweight and working at Walmart on minimum wage.  You will quietly do well.  I'm not saying this to be nice; I'm saying it because I'm old enough to have seen this play out many times, and I know I'm right.

But what am I supposed to do with that information.

I just want my school life to be fun.

JustHereforAdvice said:
kaetic said:

Hope that helps.

I know the guy who wants to fuc her doesn't have a crush on her. Just the fact that every boy in the class has liked her in some way, I don't really care if they like me or not it's just frustrating.
I mean shes fun to hang out with but she can be a *****

All the girls revolve around her, so if I don't have out with her. Theres no one to hang out. Theres two other girls but they are always on their phone and I don't get along with them and stuff.
I can't have fun if I'm sitting on a bench alone at break or lunch time, or I can;t have fun at the library alone.

I can't stay alone for 4 years. My best friend is leaving next year. 
I know high school isn't a big deal but I wanna have fun. That popular girl is fun but It's just torturing to just sit around as she pushes people.
It's ending in 4 years 
I just want to have a good time at school. 
Idk I just needed to rant because I can't tell any of my friends at school.
And she doesn't flirt with guys n stuff, she just doesn't seem to care.
It's just she has a perfect life and idk

TheLoadedDog said:
OK.  I was a nerd at school.

I'm 48 and can only give you my life experience.  The "popular girl" will end up with a teenaged pregnancy and spend her life overweight and working at Walmart on minimum wage.  You will quietly do well.  I'm not saying this to be nice; I'm saying it because I'm old enough to have seen this play out many times, and I know I'm right.

But what am I supposed to do with that information.

I just want my school life to be fun.

Sorry I've been offline for a while.
I can guarantee you she does not have the perfect life.
We all have our own struggles.
When I was in high school there was a girl I absolutely hated, because I thought the same thing.
I was unhappy in my family life, and not exactly a popular kid.
She and I happened to have the same first name, and that just made it all the more unbearable for me.
A friend I'd had since I was four years old became her best friend and suddenly we didn't hang out.
My hatred grew.
She was pretty, her family had money, the guys wanted to screw her. She seemed to think that was hilarious and loved to brag about it. She would brag about her modeling and acting ambitions. (I wanted to act, and I imagined her supportive family)
I HATED HER.
Then I grew up.
I found out that during high school her stepfather was molesting her and when she tried to get help, her mother took his side and abandoned all three of the kids to fend for themselves. Her life was far from perfect, it probably still is.
Does it mean she was a great person and I was wrong to dislike her?
Maybe, maybe not. It's not like I ever actually gave her a chance. I hated her from the start because I was jealous.
We all have problems, and we all make mistakes. Especially at that young an age.

But if it's really that you don't like how she treats other people... and if she really is doing something wrong.

Then you need to decide which is more important. Having fun with this girl or not being complicit in how she's treating others.
Silence is agreement. If she's doing something wrong, you see it and do nothing then you're complicit. That means equally responsible.
There is no scenario that will allow you to do both. Not unless you somehow talk to her straight out, in private (to avoid embarrassing her) and she says "oh, you're right. I am a *****. I should change."
To clarify... that's not going to happen. People don't like to admit when they're wrong... and therefore don't change.

But be sure in either case that you're willing to live with the consequences.
And yes, that might mean eating alone in a lunchroom, or "having fun" in a library.
It could also mean having regrets about how you treated someone in high school when you're a grown adult.
That's not fun either.

People who have a great need for attention usually have low self-esteem. She likely also has anxiety about what would happen if the attention goes away as she'd view her popularity as key to her identity. Imagine if everyday you woke up worrying what if people stop liking you and you work all day to keep yourself popular. Would not be fun and not someone to be jealous about.

Latest posts

Back