Anxiety and taking care of oneself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfood

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't know how to start this. I wanted to introduce myself on the relevant board but didn't find anything interesting to say. The only thing I really want to get out of my chest is this : I have a severe anxiety disorder and I sometimes forget it. 

These days everything was going fine. But yesterday I had a panic attack and it was the first in 4 months or so. When I get fine, I tend to set too high a target for me to reach and end up in a stressful situation that can trigger my anxiety again. I act as if I could do it without suffering the same thing as did many times before. But then it comes back and I have to remember that I have to work around this particular weakness. **** I wish I could never have this chest pain again. It's so bad that at times I can't sleep for several nights and days (most I did was about a week of sleep deprivation). Xanax usually works well, but I'd rather not take it again and I hope i can just tiptoe my way around stressful situations.

It's like loneliness : if I don't actively plan activities (hanging out, that kind of thing), I end up alone in my room for an extended time, thinking it's fine, but later my morale goes down and I don't even realize it.

It's as if i had to take care of myself as if it was another person.

Can you relate with anything I said? How are you facing this kind of things?

I can relate to it, I've lived my own version of it. Knowing what patterns you're repeating is a good start to breaking the cycle. Good luck!
I hope you can desensitize your proneness to anxiety and panic, start with small steps and accustom yourself to managing the stresses that induce the panic.

catfood said:
Hey guys,

I don't know how to start this. I wanted to introduce myself on the relevant board but didn't find anything interesting to say. The only thing I really want to get out of my chest is this : I have a severe anxiety disorder and I sometimes forget it. 

These days everything was going fine. But yesterday I had a panic attack and it was the first in 4 months or so. When I get fine, I tend to set too high a target for me to reach and end up in a stressful situation that can trigger my anxiety again. I act as if I could do it without suffering the same thing as did many times before. But then it comes back and I have to remember that I have to work around this particular weakness. **** I wish I could never have this chest pain again. It's so bad that at times I can't sleep for several nights and days (most I did was about a week of sleep deprivation). Xanax usually works well, but I'd rather not take it again and I hope i can just tiptoe my way around stressful situations.

It's like loneliness : if I don't actively plan activities (hanging out, that kind of thing), I end up alone in my room for an extended time, thinking it's fine, but later my morale goes down and I don't even realize it.

It's as if i had to take care of myself as if it was another person.

Can you relate with anything I said? How are you facing this kind of things?

Hi! 4 months seems like a nice span without a panic attack. Do you think maybe it can be a good thing that you forget it sometimes? When I had panic attacks, I expected them so maybe that caused them sometimes. If you have a severe anxiety disorder, I assume you are receiving treatment for it? I'm sorry to hear you're suffering chest pains and lack of sleep. Is there something else that you could or have tried for the that so you can sleep? Deep breathing exercises, diffusing essential oils...? I also think it's a good thing that you try to stay active to avoid loneliness. I hope you will continue to take good care of yourself.

Latest posts

Back