Another newbie

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightside4

Reaction score
Hello, another new user here.

Jumping right in: I felt quite alone and different throughout my childhood and early adult years despite having a loving family. I'm learning now that I might be what's called a "Highly Sensitive Person" and this feeling of isolation and awkwardness is quite common. Somehow lightning did strike however and I ended up connecting with someone and got married. The loneliness went away for a few years, but gradually came back without me fully realizing it. At the end of the 20 year relationship I understood the statement that the only thing worse than being alone is being with someone who makes you feel alone.

So, after finding and losing that "special person" that everyone longs for, I'm now in some ways even more isolated and alone than before we met. I am closer than ever to two immediate family members, but have no other meaningful relationships.

I am also afflicted with a desire to help others if I can, so hopefully by participating here I can help someone while at the same time helping myself.

Here are some of the things I am interested in. I think it is easiest to start a dialogue with someone if you like similar things and can talk about something besides your struggles.

• Music: Pink Floyd, Mozart, Mazzy Starr, White Stripes etc...
  • Photography: Anything beautiful: nature, buildings, cars, people.
  • Monty Python and other assorted silliness.
  • Guitar playing: I'm a long time beginner at electric.
  • Sports Cars: My happiest times are behind the wheel on a twisty country road.
  • Wood working: just getting started on some ideas.
  • Psychology: Understanding introversion, extroversion, Highy Sensitive Persons, personality disorders, emotional abuse.
  • Travel: Europe mainly
  • Euchre: Addictive, partner based card game. It would be nice to find a partner to play online with
  • History: Forgetting about the past dooms us to repeat it. There are many things happening economically and politically today that have parallels in the past which are interesting to explore.  
If we share any of the above interests, feel free to reach out to me. Actually, feel free to reach out regardless, just be prepared to tell me what your interests are so we can find some common ground.

I do my own version of woodworking; history fascinates me; I love to travel and I've been a amateur, DIY shrink for as long as I can remember.
I don't have any meaningful relationships.....just an ex GF who's still a friend.

constant stranger said:
I do my own version of woodworking; history fascinates me; I love to travel and I've been a amateur, DIY shrink for as long as I can remember.
I don't have any meaningful relationships.....just an ex GF who's still a friend.

Thanks for the welcome. What is your "version" of woodworking? Mine is certainly not typical. While thinking about things I enjoy I realized I really love the feel and look of nicely finished wood, running my hands over it, touching and admiring the curves, etc... I did some work on my guitars in the past and one of the things I enjoy about them is how they feel in my hands. So, I'm just starting to try making some small hand sized wooden objects with interesting shapes/curves to explore. This little experiment may go nowhere, or it might turn into something more.

Latest posts

Back