On being invisible

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly

Reaction score
Does anyone else get this? As if people don't see you, don't hear you? I've lost count of the times that I've been in a group of other women and while I'm talking, someone else will just start talking across me, and I realise I'm talking to myself. I'm not a conversation hogger (quite the reverse) and usually I'll be answering a question someone has asked, with the apparent motive of wanting to hear the answer. It's happened a few times and it just makes me more unsociable, more introverted. I started questioning myself, and deciding I must be so boring. You know that song John C Reilly's character sings in "Chicago"?  "Should I amend my name to Mr Cellophane...cos you can look right through me, walk right by me...and never know I'm there..."
That's me, that is.  :D

Someone talking over me in the middle of what I'm saying has happened to me before but it was in highschool and I gave them a little vulgarity and a dirty look but we stayed friends. She just happened to be someone who's thoughts flowed out of their head like watery poo at any given time. Lol. Personally I lose time like I've been abducted and often blame it on aliens or ghosts! Like I put a glass in the sink and then went to work out and thirty minutes later came back to it being completely clean and me having no memory of having actually washed it past the point of putting a bit of water in it for it to soak.

Can definitely relate to that especially when it's among close-knit groups of women. Sometimes I feel as though it's not that they don't see me, it's just that I felt I was ignored outright for some reasons... *shrugs*

A few people have mentioned to me over the years that they could not hear my footsteps and it gave them a bit of a shock. Ironically I usually play stealth type characters in role playing games so it's either I'm becoming one of the characters I play or I was always stealthy to begin with who knows?  :D

I went through that in high school, it was mostly one friend though who wanted me out of the group and act like I wasn't there sometimes. She was all about herself and I didn't play along with her games while others would but then talk about her behind her back. I was straight up to her face about what I thought and was two faced like some. In the end she realized who was a real friend but by then it was too late and she royally screwed things up with not only me but everyone.

I honestly wish that I was more invisible to be honest. I do everything in my power to blend in or at least repel people's interest. However, for some reason people want to get to know me. I do everything I can to keep them away. I make a poor conversationalist, I dress like I am homeless, I go out of my way to not smile or anything. Still for some reason people want to get to know me. I just with that they would leave me alone. Thankfully I am perfectly content to stay in my apartment and never leave when I am free from work. So I say that your situation sounds like heaven to me I could just walk through life and not be seen that would be amazing.

I'm in the same boat as you Holly ! I work night shifts as a long distance lorry driver and have very little social interaction.

I've only just joined the site and happy to get to know people who have the same issues as myself.

Yes. Once in my old job I was talking to one of my colleagues in the stockroom - somebody else just walked in, actually turned their back to me, and started talking to him like I wasn't there. So, yes, I know what exactly how you feel. You ever have a problem with one-sided conversations? That's another problem of mine.

Holly said:
Does anyone else get this? As if people don't see you, don't hear you? I've lost count of the times that I've been in a group of other women and while I'm talking, someone else will just start talking across me, and I realise I'm talking to myself. I'm not a conversation hogger (quite the reverse) and usually I'll be answering a question someone has asked, with the apparent motive of wanting to hear the answer. It's happened a few times and it just makes me more unsociable, more introverted. I started questioning myself, and deciding I must be so boring. You know that song John C Reilly's character sings in "Chicago"?  "Should I amend my name to Mr Cellophane...cos you can look right through me, walk right by me...and never know I'm there..."

That doesn't need to bother you, first of all the one who is interrupting you is actually not respecting you. We need to know that people who are respecting us wish to hear what we have to say. That means that one who is interrupting you is not interested in what you have to say and can not be your friend, you are there just to be used. Thats my opinion, it can be wrong tho.

I love to hear myself talk - of course, I'm alone when I do most of my talking. :D

Some days I can yap like crazy.
Other days I’m like the person standing way off in a funeral holding a black umbrella. 
🙄

I'm the weirdo who stands holding an umbrella when the sky is a clear sunny blue.

Holly said:

Its funny though even if you feel like youre not present in a room, something else you can feel sees and know you are present. God sees and Hears and if youre really thinking I am lonely, there is His whole Creation to encompass and be present wit you. Trees, birds, fish, sky, colors, everything. Maybe not always humans, but they adont always hear or see even with the bright eyes, and strong ears. There is also sight and hearing with the heart is amazing, I dont know how long I will type about that...
At least you know and love yourself thats what its matter most  :D :D

Latest posts

Back