Soo what's the meaning and goal of living?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorbugger

Reaction score
You probably see this title many times already. But i really want to know. I'm lonely, i break off friendships with my 'friends' cause i realise i was more unhappy with them than without. I just got out of a toxic relationship too so i guess that's one good thing. I have no friends and no goals. I'm unhappy most of the time if not everytime. I want to end it all but i dont want my family to be sad. So basically, I'm living for someone else. I had a goal but that goal can never be achieved because money is a huge deal. That goal was to migrate to Europe after i get a job but as i grow older and mature, i kinda realise that is unrealistic. I hate living in southeast asia but im tied here. You probably are going to say go out and meet friends. I live in a small town and their world is far different than mine.  :club:

Nobody else can tell you the meaning and goal for your life. But if you do not find something meaningful and realistically within your reach, then you will leave this world regretting what you did not do instead of taking some gladness for a life that was worth living.
And that's true for everyone. I'm struggling with it too.

I believe we make our own meaning in our lives. As much as this might sound uninteresting and cliche, but creating small achievable goals might help you to start feeling better about life in general. You'll have to start somewhere anyway.

Maybe you'll find some meaning to life in the process. Good luck.

I have often wondered what is the whole point of living too. I feel a lot like the way you do about wanting to end it all. I have some goals though they seem a bit out of reach at this point. Goals alone can't make a person happy I guess. Having some meaningful connections with a person or two might help.

Perhaps you can still go to Europe for a holiday just to get a feel of the place to see if it's a place you really want to settle down? You mentioned you live in southeast Asia and there may be travel fairs you can go to get a good deal on holiday packages that won't strain your budget.
There is a saying that goes " Wherever you go, there you are". Sometimes we think things get better if only this or that happens to us or if only we were living in a completely different place so we just keep postponing our happiness I guess? But suppose we achieve most of out goals and get most of what we want and we're still unhappy then what? There's no way to get away from ourselves completely.

constant stranger said:
Nobody else can tell you the meaning and goal for your life.  But if you do not find something meaningful and realistically within your reach, then you will leave this world regretting what you did not do instead of taking some gladness for a life that was worth living.
And that's true for everyone.  I'm struggling with it too.

ladyforsaken said:
I believe we make our own meaning in our lives. As much as this might sound uninteresting and cliche, but creating small achievable goals might help you to start feeling better about life in general. You'll have to start somewhere anyway.

Maybe you'll find some meaning to life in the process. Good luck.

I suppose so. I'll try to find my own meaning and goal or whatever it is that keeps me going.

athelas88 said:
I have often wondered what is the whole point of living too. I feel a lot like the way you do about wanting to end it all. I have some goals though they seem a bit out of reach at this point. Goals alone can't make a person happy I guess. Having some meaningful connections with a person or two might help.

Perhaps you can still go to Europe for a holiday just to get a feel of the place to see if it's a place you really want to settle down? You mentioned you live in southeast Asia and there may be travel fairs you can go to get a good deal on holiday packages that won't strain your budget.
There is a saying that goes " Wherever you go, there you are". Sometimes we think things get better if only this or that happens to us or if only we were living in a completely different place so we just keep postponing our happiness I guess? But suppose we achieve most of out goals and get most of what we want and we're still unhappy then what? There's no way to get away from ourselves completely.

I come from a small town with barely any technological advancement. I dont have any friends to connect to, for now i suppose. I don't want to go on a holiday, i want to migrate permanently. But with the currency of my country, I need to get a high paying job if i were to have any chance and with how education standard is too in my country, no guarantee i'll get a job outside too. My life is just a mess and avalanche waiting for the final drop lol.

Hey poorbugger I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I really wanted to travel to Europe or someplace abroad, but it didn't work out at all, I tried going for a road trip but that didn't work because my car was crap.

What I would suggest for this question is just to find some hobbies or interests you enjoy, and try to enjoy them as much and as fully as you can, and just do your best for that. Whether it's exercise/running, drawing, reading, playing or listening to music.

I think there's a quote out there "Find what you love and let it kill you" Try to find some hobbies you enjoy and enjoy them as much as you can.

That's about all I know, good luck with your question and welcome to the forum :)

evanescencefan912 said:

I really wanted to travel to Europe or someplace abroad, but it didn't work out at all, I tried going for a road trip but that didn't work because my car was crap.

What I would suggest for this question is just to find some hobbies or interests you enjoy, and try to enjoy them as much and as fully as you can, and just do your best for that. Whether it's exercise/running, drawing, reading, playing or listening to music.

I think there's a quote out there "Find what you love and let it kill you" Try to find some hobbies you enjoy and enjoy them as much as you can.

That's about all I know, good luck with your question and welcome to the forum :)
I would love the way you describe it sadly it doesnt work that way here..it's just the culture is too **** different and God knows i dont fit in here.(i dont really believe in religion just want to use that phrase). Here it's the stereotype asian life, trust me. Study hard find job (lawyers doctors honeysuckle like that do exist not only for videos on the internet). Then find wife, family blah blah you get it. And there's no like grand canyon or cool island to visit. I dont live on a continent, the country is a small island itself. Perhaps i will have a better life next life (if there is one).

poorbugger said:
evanescencefan912 said:

I would love the way you describe it sadly it doesnt work that way here..it's just the culture is too **** different and God knows i dont fit in here.(i dont really believe in religion just want to use that phrase). Here it's the stereotype asian life, trust me. Study hard find job (lawyers doctors honeysuckle like that do exist not only for videos on the internet). Then find wife, family blah blah you get it. And there's no like grand canyon or cool island to visit. I dont live on a continent, the country is a small island itself. Perhaps i will have a better life next life (if there is one).
But I'm pretty sure if it were like that the only business the Asian lawyers would have would be Asian doctors and the Asian doctors would only have Asian lawyers. Because there'd be no one else.

Life sucks and then you die.

Thing is, we only got one and if all that afterlife crap is a bunch of bullshit, might as well make it a happy time as much as possible, right?
Thats my take on it. Ill be happy if its the last thing I do ;-)

Richard_39 said:
Life sucks and then you die.

Lol, this is so bluntly true to me that it made me laugh out loud.

I gotta agree with ya, since there are already so much honeysuckle going around, might as well make the ride a good one while you can help it, even if it's in the least possible way.

Hey how are you doing? I'm living in Southeast Asia too and sometimes I just feel exactly how you feel. Living without a goal and trying to please others.
But I guess, i dont think life is only about happiness anyway, i think life is a lot deeper than that. It's a lot more important to grow than to be happy. I dont know where to go exactly but hopefully the universe has a path carved out that i can walk down on

Me? I'd say there isn't any "meaning of life!" It's all random and biological and often down to luck and opportunity. Thing is it's the longing and wanting and believing we should be rewarded that screws us up - and yeah I know!" But if this aint a rehearsal, just take what comes and enjoy the good bits and look forward rather than dwelling on past disasters and try to find the good in whatever you can. As my brother says; "Do what you can, while you can, until you can't!"
Of course, if we could all do this we wouldn't be on this forum and all be jumping with joy but ...... you have to keep trying; pushing against the door and every time the "dark side" rears up....stamp on it's fingers!

Pursuit of knowledge, for me. Scientific/philosophical knowledge, to be more specific. Not that I'm especially smart, quite the opposite in fact, but I find the world extremely puzzling, and I want to know what the hell is going on. I don't understand why more people aren't interested in asking these sorts of questions.

I agree with you Cleanair.  The world is endlessly fascinating and I still want to know more about it and what's going to happen tomorrow.

There is no meaning or goal to living, even if we are taught there is...

Society is expecting things of you from an early age, from the day you are born you are being molded into someones idea of what you should be, you need to walk by age 1 or you're "behind", you need to go to school and learn from age 4, and learn more and more from that point onward, because you can be ANYTHING you want to be! as long as it's a doctor or astronaut and not a plumber or garbageman. By age 5 you are fluent in at least 3 languages, have a basic understanding of the financial markets and have already picked your major and what university you'll apply to... or that's what I envision being the ideal in 15 years...

Most people are happy to fit this mold and come out perfectly formed, well everyone has their imperfections, but they are small chips or little cracks at best. Others have a harder time with the mold, they come out broken from the whole process and need to fit the pieces together themselves, or even "worse" ... they break the mold! Well I say "even worse", but they probably are the ones best off from the whole bunch of them, they learned early on they didn't fit the standard and accepted their deviation to the norm, they have life by the balls and not the other way around!

The meaning and goal off life?!?, fit your mold or break it, be you, let go of the expectations of others, of the expectations they place on you, you are not brought into this world to perform for anyone, find your own happiness and let go of the rest.

(This is easier said than done, maybe it will help you change your current perspective and help you come to your own realizations about life as it is)

There isn't a meaning - or a purpose to life and no one has ever found any provable evidence that there is, though it helps the "rulers" to keep folk in check by promising them it will all be great after you're dead so long as you shut up and suffer now - and behave yourselves!
I'v'e seen the good die young, evil triumph and the innocent get wasted! It's all random or opportunistic and only a sadistic god would have such a purpose.
But it's the wanting or expecting and the demands of society that screws one up. All you can do is plough on and try and find things and people that interest you and keep away from dangerous folk and bad stuff like hard drugs. I wanted to be "normal" have fulfilling job, a wife and kids but it never worked out - I'm on my own and beginning to experience the physical decline of old age. What can I do? Not much about owt but I can stop beating myself up worrying why I'm a "misfit!" as I used to. If there isn't any purpose, then you can't have "failed!" I wouldn't for a moment. say I'm resigned to my situation and it sure gets dark at times but I'm going to try and do he things I can do and try and keep a sense of self-worth as well as accepting sensible advice from medics and careful controlled medication when needed.

Factually? No idea. I'd assume there isn't one, but that would leave me directionless. I can't speak for everyone else however.

Because of this (with a hint of despite), I focus more on the journey instead of the destination. I've got goals sure, but the attempts to get that far are the real meat on the bones. Celebrate victories however small, and learn from past failures. Branch out from your experiences and you might find yourself with more journeys to experience. Does it matter if you reach the goal? Maybe, maybe not. I don't really care, but I can't speak for anyone else. The journey toward whatever goal you choose however, could be the fulfilling part.

Latest posts

Back