Reaching out to friends and family but being ignored

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acharis93

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here. I’m having a really bad time at the moment and feeling particularly alone. When you’re struggling you’re advised to reach out to people around you. I don’t have have many friends or family but I did send someone a message saying I was having a hard time and they just never responded (they definitely read it). How can people be so cold? Im there for people when they are upset. Does  this happen to anyone else?

Yes, this has happened to me as well. It hurts a lot. The only advice I can think to give you is that, when you are feeling better, look around with the aim of making one or two new friends who will hopefully value you more. I realise that it is easy for me to suggest this, but not easy for you to do-please don't think I am underestimating how bad you are feeling now or how hard is is to find someone who 'gets' us.

This is why I rarely reach out to anyone. I don't care to keep anyone close, mostly because I see how wrapped up everyone is in their own stuff. Which isn't a problem, and I completely understand when people are caught up in their own. But it's a bit unbelievable when they just about demand attention from me. I'd rather cut people off. This is nothing new to me, though. I've been like this since I was a kid.

So, you're not alone in this. I'm almost 30 and I don't see it being any different for me any time soon.

Well, the most recent thing was the following.

A friend(sorta) of mine recently came back to this city. He had been living in Ireland for the past month. So, since here he's staying at a place that is 10 minutes of walking distance from where I live, I proposed we meet just to catch up, maybe even over a coffee. He said he can't lol
The end XD

As of now, I can tell you I have zero real irl friends and maybe one or two online. I'm a disaster with social stuff lol So you could say I'm virtually completely alone, since I don't get along with family either. What to do? Just got to persevere, I suppose, and keep trying to meet new people. Statistically speaking, the higher the number of people you try to get to know, the higher the probability to find someone who reciprocates. Can't say it's been going well for me, but then again, I don't go too much out of my way to get to know new people, social anxiety and everything.

During my last sitting, my therapist suggested I join some movie discussion group in my city, since I'm interested in movies. lol It may work.. just trying to find the courage to actually join one.

Latest posts

Back