Who do you think you are?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Joturbo

Watched this tonite thought might be interesting if any members had investigated their family tree and I can't sleep again/have strange chest pains so need a distraction.

My grandmother was always obsessed and talked alot about our lineage to a lord that had various dealings with HenryViii.Apparently he was a regular at social functions and was the architect of a famous building that still stands today.

Another line apparently goes back to North Africa but being a lazy so and so I haven't followed that yet and my brother is just not keen on my even going there. :club:

Anyone else .......

My paternal ancestors were English; the family name is Anglo Saxon and it's mentioned in the Domesday book. Some family with our surname has been granted a coat of arms in England but I suspect they're nothing to do with us. My direct ancestor came to America in 1660. We've never been anything special since then.

Those chest pains could be anything....indigestion to a heart attack. Look after yourself Joturbo.

constant stranger said:
My paternal ancestors were English; the family name is Anglo Saxon and it's mentioned in the Domesday book.  Some family with our surname has been granted a coat of arms in England but I suspect they're nothing to do with us.  My direct ancestor came to America in 1660.  We've never been anything special since then.

Those chest pains could be anything....indigestion to a heart attack.  Look after yourself Joturbo.

Thanks Constant really interesting lineage thanks for relating that.Going doctors today sure just stress but just will get checked out ,thanks for your concern have a good day mate.

I haven’t dug to much into it but I’m English Scottish and French. Looking though family histories puts me to sleep so I’ll leave it at that.

My bro-in-law has managed to get back to the 1600s so far and it's been really interesting stuff.
During that century a lady with the same birth name as mine took a boat alone to America (can you imagine how brave she must have been, women didn't travel alone back then) met a man on board the ship, married and settled in Utah.
We also discovered recently that a 4th cousin who is still alive, a Major in the Marines, but previously unknown to us, was awarded an MC and OBE after fighting in the campaign in Suez. Puffed up with pride lol.

The ones that really fascinate me though are the people (one was a grandparent) who have gone to great lengths to conceal their identities and who we just can't trace back. What were they hiding I wonder?

Interesting topic Joturbo, and let us know how you are please.

Australian, deconstructed into English, Scots, Welsh, (probably) Irish, French, Swedish. That I know of. Basically a mongrel dawg. :D

And proudly convict stock.

Im French and minor English nobility on my mom's side.
No, please, you may stand, no bowing... ;-)
My last name has a germanic root. though, so odds are I come down from crazy Vikings or somesuch. Would explain the love of the sea and intolerance to heat.

A large part of my family history is unknown, but I do know that my father's maternal side is Cree. ( my Great Great Grandfather was the Chief of the Cree Nation in Midnight Lake Saskatchewan - his son is my Great Grandfather) .  I'm very proud of this, even though at the time it was a forbidden relationship of young love.  ( I'm also proud of that - in that time that took true love and courage) :)

So I see myself as Cree, English and ..... mixed up Canadian. :)

My family tree...

Me -> Mom (teacher) and Dad (carpenter) -> Farmers -> Farmers-> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Farmers -> Genghis Khan

It is very interesting to see all the places people come from and how their ancestors have traveled too to create the people we are. I am Hawaiian Caucasian. My dad family have lived in Hawaii for a long time and my mom traces her family roots to Germany. I find family history fun. I like to find out how people lived their lives. Most fascinating. I enjoined reading your comments.

TheLoadedDog said:
Australian, deconstructed into English, Scots, Welsh, (probably) Irish, French, Swedish.  That I know of.  Basically a mongrel dawg.  :D

And proudly convict stock.

Richard_39 said:
Im French and minor English nobility on my mom's side.
No, please, you may stand, no bowing... ;-)
My last name has a germanic root. though, so odds are I come down from crazy Vikings or somesuch. Would explain the love of the sea and intolerance to heat.

I may have to leave the Frenchness to brother Richard. I might not have any, at least that I now know of.  For the first time in my life, I bothered to Google the surname Favelle, which is a name way back on my maternal side.  I just thought, not only does it look French, but I went to school with an Italian guy by the surname Favetta, so I assumed it was a cognate.  Possibly a good thing - nothing against the French or the Italians, but Favetta, I was told, means "small, flat broad bean."   Hardly the most romantic name in the world.  Anyway, I shouldn't talk, because I am descended from a convict named Bustard (he later changed it - wise man).

So Favelle is actually a very old English surname.  The site I went to to discover this called it an "unusual surname."

toasty_one said:
Oh I’m First Nations Native American all the way.

Interesting, because of their mom, my kids are something like 1/8 First Nation in Canada. Though I wouldnt be surprised if there was a sqaw hidden somewhere on my dad's side of the family lol

As I know my ancestors were Ukrainian and Russian peasants and laborers. One of my ancestors was a soldier of Soviet Army in World War II but after the win was a prisoner in Gulag for unknown reasons.
I have no rich or noble roots.

Latest posts

Back