Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The need to wear a coat / jacket / cardigan / hoodie outside, even in the summer...
Does anyone else have a need to cover up when venturing out into the world--as in, never wanting to take off your coat/jacket when you're in a building (not home), or needing to wear an outer layer like a trench coat, cardigan, or hoodie even when it is hot outside in the summer?  I feel so bare and nervous without that extra layer, and it calms my anxiety a little, but it's difficult fitting into a corporate work environment with this behavior.

Shout-outs to all the people who need to do this also!  I feel so much better when I spot another person on the street who is just as covered up and out of place in the summer as I am and it makes me want to give them an unspoken nod of acknowledgement.
I used to do that. Never took off my coat unless i was at home. It seemed to be something like a security blanket.
There's a place for long clothes in summer. Ask the Arabs. It works, and keeps the sun off. I live under the Australian sun. +45 degrees Centigrade in summer sometimes, but I haven't worn short pants since I was a kid. You might not need thick layers, but a thin jacket is fine. And yes, it is security too - I don't like feeling exposed.
Phone call to mum...
"You're quite intelligent."
"Thanks, mum."
"But you're not top of the class, or anything."
"Thanks mum."
Elderly people.  Gotta love 'em.
Yeah, I do this, especially when I have on a tight fitting shirt which makes it 1000x more discomforting.
(07-14-2018, 03:53 PM)Lynh Wrote: Shout-outs to all the people who need to do this also!  I feel so much better when I spot another person on the street who is just as covered up and out of place in the summer as I am and it makes me want to give them an unspoken nod of acknowledgement.

Shouting back! lol

I keep to long-sleeved tees and jeans a lot, and even in the heat, I don't like my skin going bare. I used to do it out of security / low self-esteem, now it's more of comfort really. (:
(07-15-2018, 03:02 PM)ladyforsaken Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 03:53 PM)Lynh Wrote: Shout-outs to all the people who need to do this also!  I feel so much better when I spot another person on the street who is just as covered up and out of place in the summer as I am and it makes me want to give them an unspoken nod of acknowledgement.

Shouting back! lol

I keep to long-sleeved tees and jeans a lot, and even in the heat, I don't like my skin going bare. I used to do it out of security / low self-esteem, now it's more of comfort really. (:

Hearts for you all! <3.  I still do it out of security / low self-esteem.  I get really nervous when people look at me.  The coat or extra layers help me hide a little bit, but at the same time, it can be a double-edged sword, because looking out of place sometimes draws attention. ><
I've never had this that bad that I needed to wear long sleeves or a hoodie, I actually hate hoodies, damn flappy bit at the ack is never quite comfortable!

I did go years without taking of my t-shirt at the beach, or I even stopped going to the beach because i didn't want to expose myself, and I wasn't really fat either, I just felt worthless and ugly.

There comes a "fuck it" point in your life, you might have felt it already, getting closer to that point where you stop caring what others think, this point is a turn around, it's blissful existence after that, when it comes to the way you look at least...
(07-15-2018, 07:29 PM)MisterLonely Wrote: There comes a "fuck it" point in your life, you might have felt it already, getting closer to that point where you stop caring what others think, this point is a turn around, it's blissful existence after that, when it comes to the way you look at least...

Haha MisterLonely, I'm still waiting for that "fuck it" moment.. I'm sure it will come one day.
Oh yeah haha, the fuck-it moment came for me not caring what others think of what I wear now, if it looks appropriate or not for the hot weather. As long as I feel comfortable, that's all that matters.
Damn, this is a phenomena I do not understand. I just look at ppl like you and start sweating in your places, if I could peel off my skin or integrate an air conditionner in my chest, I would lol.
I guess we all handle temperature differently but I'd probably die within 4 minutes in the summer with a coat on.