The need to wear a coat / jacket / cardigan / hoodie outside, even in the summer...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynh

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a need to cover up when venturing out into the world--as in, never wanting to take off your coat/jacket when you're in a building (not home), or needing to wear an outer layer like a trench coat, cardigan, or hoodie even when it is hot outside in the summer?  I feel so bare and nervous without that extra layer, and it calms my anxiety a little, but it's difficult fitting into a corporate work environment with this behavior.

Shout-outs to all the people who need to do this also!  I feel so much better when I spot another person on the street who is just as covered up and out of place in the summer as I am and it makes me want to give them an unspoken nod of acknowledgement.

I used to do that. Never took off my coat unless i was at home. It seemed to be something like a security blanket.

There's a place for long clothes in summer. Ask the Arabs. It works, and keeps the sun off. I live under the Australian sun. +45 degrees Centigrade in summer sometimes, but I haven't worn short pants since I was a kid. You might not need thick layers, but a thin jacket is fine. And yes, it is security too - I don't like feeling exposed.

Yeah, I do this, especially when I have on a tight fitting shirt which makes it 1000x more discomforting.

Lynh said:
Shout-outs to all the people who need to do this also!  I feel so much better when I spot another person on the street who is just as covered up and out of place in the summer as I am and it makes me want to give them an unspoken nod of acknowledgement.

Shouting back! lol

I keep to long-sleeved tees and jeans a lot, and even in the heat, I don't like my skin going bare. I used to do it out of security / low self-esteem, now it's more of comfort really. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Lynh said:

Shouting back! lol

I keep to long-sleeved tees and jeans a lot, and even in the heat, I don't like my skin going bare. I used to do it out of security / low self-esteem, now it's more of comfort really. :)

Hearts for you all! <3.  I still do it out of security / low self-esteem.  I get really nervous when people look at me.  The coat or extra layers help me hide a little bit, but at the same time, it can be a double-edged sword, because looking out of place sometimes draws attention. ><

I've never had this that bad that I needed to wear long sleeves or a hoodie, I actually hate hoodies, **** flappy bit at the ack is never quite comfortable!

I did go years without taking of my t-shirt at the beach, or I even stopped going to the beach because i didn't want to expose myself, and I wasn't really fat either, I just felt worthless and ugly.

There comes a "fresia it" point in your life, you might have felt it already, getting closer to that point where you stop caring what others think, this point is a turn around, it's blissful existence after that, when it comes to the way you look at least...

MisterLonely said:
There comes a "fresia it" point in your life, you might have felt it already, getting closer to that point where you stop caring what others think, this point is a turn around, it's blissful existence after that, when it comes to the way you look at least...

Haha MisterLonely, I'm still waiting for that "fresia it" moment.. I'm sure it will come one day.

Oh yeah haha, the fresia-it moment came for me not caring what others think of what I wear now, if it looks appropriate or not for the hot weather. As long as I feel comfortable, that's all that matters.

****, this is a phenomena I do not understand. I just look at ppl like you and start sweating in your places, if I could peel off my skin or integrate an air conditionner in my chest, I would lol.
I guess we all handle temperature differently but I'd probably die within 4 minutes in the summer with a coat on.

In the summer I normally wear a baseball cap and I don't wear it to hide myself or anything but once I start wearing it outside come the end of the summer I find it strange going out without it on. Subconsciously I feel like I am hiding myself away without even realising it.

I always try to use sleeves to not reveal my arms. The same with my legs; no shorts unless I'm at home.

Xpendable said:
I always try to use sleeves to not reveal my arms. The same with my legs; no shorts unless I'm at home.

That last part I relate to; hate showing my big hairy legs, always wearing jeans.
And dunno if its just me, I hate to look at men wearing flip flops. No idea where that hate comes from though lol.

Unless it gets over a certain temp (usually 90's and humid as hell), I always wear long sleeves. When I'm not wearing long sleeves, I tend to get anxious.
It doesn't have anything to do with anyone, except me, though. BDD is a *****.

I too, am another who prefers to be covered up. I'm a hoodie lover! Although I do like rolling up the sleeves of a hoodie a bit. :p

I've recently moved to Florida with family due to previous financial troubles living on my own and now rarely get the chance to wear them. Tried numerous times with very sweaty and far more uncomfortable results. *super sad face*

Too darn hot and humid down here. Why humans decided to colonize a swamp that is constantly prone to rain and hurricanes is behind me! Lol. Miss my New York hoodie/coat weather so darn much! Love winter clothing. :(

I probably wore shorts as a kid and into early teenage years but at some point I changed. Now it's just at home. I don't like sandals anymore either, I just have some thin socks and the lightest shoes possible. T-Shirts are okay, but I prefer some kind of coat over that as well. I sweat easily for probably genetic reasons, but my mental comfort has higher priority than the physical.

Lynh said:
MisterLonely said:

Haha MisterLonely, I'm still waiting for that "fresia it" moment.. I'm sure it will come one day.

You can work at it bit by bit, sometimes you'll feel ok doing a "fresia it" thing like going out without doing your hair, or wearing a t-shirt, others you can't stand not being the "you" you are comfortable with exposing to the world. "fresia it" state of mind doesn't come out of nothing, it is a process ;)

Lynh said:
Does anyone else have a need to cover up when venturing out into the world--as in, never wanting to take off your coat/jacket when you're in a building (not home), or needing to wear an outer layer like a trench coat, cardigan, or hoodie even when it is hot outside in the summer?  I feel so bare and nervous without that extra layer, and it calms my anxiety a little, but it's difficult fitting into a corporate work environment with this behavior.

100% me. There's always the people who feel the need to comment on it though or try to persuade you to discard a layer. Leave us alone, we're not harming anyone!

I wear hoodies almost everywhere. Well, jackets with hoods also. If I had a mask I'd wear that too.

I don't feel safe unless I am hooded. Also I think they make look cool  :p

I don't know why I have body image issues to this day. Maybe its because I was a little doughy as a kid. Even now with my big arms, puffed out pecs, broad shoulders, and a 4-pac. I still feel like a little doughy kid. 
Fwp, am I right? :D

Latest posts

Back