Ridiculous comments

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wrote in at a time when I felt truly defeated and some of the comments on that post were just unnecessary and thoughtless. 

"You'll be ok"  --- okay, great pep talk, dad
"You're lonely and you have a boyfriend?" --- you could ask why I feel lonely even though I have a boyfriend. There maybe some problems in paradise. 

I'm pretty disappointed in this community. It's called a lonely life. Unless this is a spin off of some book or movie, I was under the impression this was a place I could speak my mind and hopefully get some insight, help, or just a little venting space.

Sometimes people don't really have advice, but they want to know that they heard (or rather "read") you.

Sometimes people have mistaken thoughts on what and how loneliness can occur. Some don't believe that people can be lonely and have a boyfriend because they have no one and never did, so in their minds, we have so much more than them. They are wrong, but that's not really the point.
You didn't get what you wanted, so you are disappointed. Why not be thankful that people ARE here and some of them are trying to support you, even with trivial thoughts like "you'll be ok." You vented, you got insight, you may or may not have gotten help. You got exactly what you just said you wanted. Is some of it unwanted? Yes, but that's life. You won't always get what you want.

TheRealCallie said:
Sometimes people don't really have advice, but they want to know that they heard (or rather "read") you.  

Sometimes people have mistaken thoughts on what and how loneliness can occur.  Some don't believe that people can be lonely and have a boyfriend because they have no one and never did, so in their minds, we have so much more than them.  They are wrong, but that's not really the point.  
You didn't get what you wanted, so you are disappointed.  Why not be thankful that people ARE here and some of them are trying to support you, even with trivial thoughts like "you'll be ok."  You vented, you got insight, you may or may not have gotten help.  You got exactly what you just said you wanted.  Is some of it unwanted?  Yes, but that's life.  You won't always get what you want.

Well, you made good points. I guess some acknowledgement is better than none. Thank you

Some people are pretty jaded, and some are downright bitter about their own experiences in life. So they throw idealistic remarks about whatever situation they're commenting on, and either don't see or don't care about other views on things. It's unfortunate that a few miserable people can potentially ruin an entire community, but happiness isn't exactly bubbling at the seams on a forum such as this. You kind of have to remember what type of forum this is.

I think I was the one who said you'll be ok, from memory. I meant it, and I'm not your dad.

Ah, yes. I just checked, and found that you had replied to me with a rather sarcastic comment.

I wasn't deflecting the issue, as you put it. I was giving my thoughts and my experience. That's all any of us here can do. If you want professional counselling, go and pay for it. If you come to a forum, you'll get people's opinions. I was trying to help you as best I could. So were the others here. At least we replied to you.

OverTheRainbow said:
I wrote in at a time when I felt truly defeated and some of the comments on that post were just unnecessary and thoughtless. 

"You're lonely and you have a boyfriend?" --- you could ask why I feel lonely even though I have a boyfriend. There maybe some problems in paradise. 

I'm pretty disappointed in this community. It's called a lonely life. Unless this is a spin off of some book or movie, I was under the impression this was a place I could speak my mind and hopefully get some insight, help, or just a little venting space.

Well, you did speak your mind, and you were still welcomed. So why be disappointed? 
Hoping for some insight? Okay, here is my honest opinion:

Sometimes the best advice is direct and simple. "You will be okay" is a reminder that you have, all your life, had upsets, disappointments, fear, loneliness, eyc., and you came through them to still be okay. Regardless of the negative situation you are in, it too will pass.

"You're lonely and you have a boyfriend?" --- you could ask why I feel lonely even though I have a boyfriend.
He did ask. He gave you an opening to express why you feel lonely, even with a boyfriend.

If you want insight, you have to be open minded enough to understand that people aren't going to tell you what you want to hear. If you want venting space, there is a journal area where people can't reply. And if you like, you can always do a little reading on other people's replies, and message individuals who relate more to your current situation. The work starts with you.

Latest posts

Back