Why is this so anonymous....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a key feature of internet forums and has been since the dawn of the Web.

If you want your name out there, Facebook (and other social media) are the model that follows that approach.

dqc said:
Why is almost everybody anonymous? We barely have a clue who we are talking to....do we?

Not everyone is. Some choose to be open about personal information, which is perfectly fine, but no one is ever forced to tell personal details. In fact, we suggest people be very cautious about the personal information they do tell.

Why do you need to know that information for every single member here? Are you looking for a certain person? If you want to find like minded/ages/nationality individuals, try the networking section.

Not everyone cares to fill out their profile. A lot of times, they put that info in their welcome post.

dqc said:
Not having the sex, age, country, let alone a pic of the person you are talking to, in some cases, is taking caution to the extreme...!

Some people would prefer to remain anonymous. There's no forcing for anyone to expose any of their details, personal or general.

Hey, guys. I'm actually David Blaine. It was actually me this whole time, performing a stunt of psychological endurance. I went all along for 3 years pretending to be someone else to adopt a character till the last detail. All my pictures were fake and I'm not really lonely and all of this will be televised soon. Thanks for your participation.

It's not all about caution. If you have no intentions of dating, networking, have insecurities, or been wronged in the past.... those are entirely understandable reasons not to bother.

I'd honestly expect that sort of behavior from a site like this over any other. Some come here to try to see if they fit in before they open up or just seek temporary support without the baggage. It is that simple.

Xpendable said:
Hey, guys. I'm actually David Blaine. It was actually me this whole time, performing a stunt of psychological endurance. I went all along for 3 years pretending to be someone else to adopt a character till the last detail. All my pictures were fake and I'm not really lonely and all of this will be televised soon. Thanks for your participation.

...You better cut me my cheque, Blaine, or I'll sue you into oblivion.

;-)

I personally think you can still get to know someone even when they remain anonymous. Also, for me, it gives me some sense of security, even if it's just to some extent.

Of course you can't! They are a completely unknown entity. Could be a man pretending to be female..an old guy pretending to be a young girl! Ridiculous! Anonymity does not equate to safety. You may as well be talking to a robot!

dqc said:
Of course you can't! They are a completely unknown entity. Could be a man pretending to be female..an old guy pretending to be a young girl! Ridiculous! Anonymity does not equate to safety. You may as well be talking to a robot!

Even if you have a picture and all the other honeysuckle you want, that doesn't mean they are telling the truth.....

What exactly is it that you are looking for that you can't just get to know people without a picture or a fully updated profile?

dqc said:

It's the same either way with someone who puts up a picture. Main point is, you can't outright trust someone just like that, especially online. Even in real life people don't tell all, they lie about their identities and stuff. With anyone you meet, you still have to get to know them with caution. I just don't see the need to know all the very personal details about someone just to "know" them. I'd rather want to know their interests and what they're like, observe their reactions to things we converse about. To me that's more important in the initial stage in getting to know someone. Even then, people can still pretend, but it's a lot easier for you to take the time to feel them out and see if there are any red flags or things to concern about.

You are 95% a bunch of sad, lonely, argumentative weirdos aren't you PinkPrincessCallie! Most of you clearly have Aspergers, at the very best. No wonder you have a lonely life. I don't belong here amongst you losers with your defective personalities. I was just hoping to meet a nice, regular person to talk to, some hope! Please delete my profile asap to save me the bother! Farewell fucktards!

Wow, aren't you just a ray of sunshine.  I have a feeling you know very little about autism that you think you can diagnose everyone from a few simple posts. And excuse me, there is NOTHING wrong with being autistic, so stop using it as a ******* insult.

Also, I'm not sad or lonely, so that shows you know even less than you try to pretend to know.  

"Nice, regular person"?  Yeah, I have a feeling that will never be in the cards for you.

Latest posts

Back