Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about God but not Religion???
(08-09-2018, 11:54 AM)Hey Azariah !I know what you mean about dissing God. God is who I believe in, sometimes I refer to God as him/her/It because I really don\t know what God is yet. I just know I am trying to believe that even though people let me down, and since I am a person the only thing I have to compare God to is other people: I try to believe that God is beyond my understanding in every sense. I try to remember that I am living a purpose filled life. Some days none of it makes sense and I am bitter and feel very betrayed. Some days I am way more peaceful and can move through negative things much better.I think it is important to try to believe in something other than ourselves in life. I think it helps on our journey. For years I just talked to God but had no idea what it was I was talking to or even why I was doing it. I like to talk about God in my personal life but I am finding that more people really don't like to do that. I don't push my views onto others because I can't stand that to be done to me. I do respect boundaries of faith and beliefs. I am a very liberal Christian, I do wish I had some people like me to talk to about it all ! Azariah Wrote: I agree we all have different opinions of God and we visualize him differently but man you don't need to diss God if you don't like him. like what if you were a hardcore superman fan and made a thread about superman and i just come in saying stuff like man superman is the most boring superhero this and that dadada. see you wouldn't like it. get what im saying?
(10-06-2018, 10:40 PM)Azariah Wrote: I think it's ridiculous that they would ban something so innocent as a religious symbol. For what reason would they do that?

I didnt see the reply lol. This would take a long time to explain, specially on an ipad, but I think it boils down to the agressive expansion of certain religious political groups and them trying to have religious eddicts pushed as laws in the province. For example, Hassidic Jews refusing to be served by female police officers specifically because they are female, and many other religious groups. I dont think, but dont know, if bans ill solve the problem or compund it.
I don't think God requires his worshipers to be represented by a symbol. If they want to ban religious symbols, I say go ahead. But then again I can see a lot of conflict from the religious people and they won't be happy about it.

To fight for a symbol is borderline idolatry.

You can worship God without the use of symbols. But a lot of people don't understand that.
"From my mind to these pages
to another time and another reader's eyes,
it's amazing how I can speak to you
over time and distance.
That is the Beauty of Literature."
-P.L.R.
(11-15-2018, 06:57 PM)Azariah Wrote: I don't think God requires his worshipers to be represented by a symbol. If they want to ban religious symbols, I say go ahead. But then again I can see a lot of conflict from the religious people and they won't be happy about it.

To fight for a symbol is borderline idolatry.

You can worship God without the use of symbols. But a lot of people don't understand that.

Every religion has symbols.  I don't really believe they are REQUIRED, but it's more of a "tool" so to speak.  For example, Catholics and some other Christians use rosaries when they pray.  The cross or a stake is pretty much guaranteed to be found somewhere for all Christians. You could even say churches and mosques and all the other houses are symbols.  Of course it's more or less idolatry. That's basically what worship is.  Without faith, no one would believe and most need those symbols to remind them that they have faith.  

Of course you can worship without symbols and I don't think it's that people don't understand, it's likely more that they don't know how because it was likely ingrained in them that they have to go to church, they have to kneel to prayer, they have to have a cross somewhere they have to repost a million pictures of Jesus on FB so they can PROVE they believe in Jesus, etc etc.  It's what they've always known, so it's what they feel they have to do.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM Smile

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMvC1dip6fFujofVYQoOU...g15Slkutwg]
I understand what you mean. But Christians and Catholics seem to miss the point that Jesus himself didn't use symbols to worship God. Neither is it commanded in the Bible.
over time and distance.
-P.L.R.
(11-16-2018, 04:08 AM)Azariah Wrote: I understand what you mean. But Christians and Catholics seem to miss the point that Jesus himself didn't use symbols to worship God. Neither is it commanded in the Bible.

Perhaps some don't, but Jesus himself is probably the biggest symbol of Christianity.  But, on the other hand, maybe they do realize that and the symbols just help remind them why they do what they do.  It's not black and white when it comes to what other people think and believe.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM Smile

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMvC1dip6fFujofVYQoOU...g15Slkutwg]
Even after Jesus died his faithful disciples and first century Christians did not use symbols. So i believe it's totally unnecessary. It was only when Christianity went mainstream, when emperor Constantine converted to Christianity. Personally i have no use for religious symbols, just like i don't need a flag to remind me what country i'm from.
over time and distance.
-P.L.R.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anyone here see or talk to ghosts? Do you believe in the paranormal? SophiaGrace 49 8,088 09-03-2018, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Azariah
  free will and free choice in religion (short) mickey 26 5,145 04-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Last Post: mickey
  LET'S TALK ABOUT RELIGION!! CAS 5 1,290 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Minus
  Why is the debate of religion forbidden? Unwanted94 6 1,489 05-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Gutted
  Religion is given undeserved protection on this forum frey12 4 1,496 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Minus