Hallo...!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

harper

I'm harper-- 57 y/o man who's been pretty isolated for the past 20 years.  I like people, but haven't had time or energy to pursue or maintain relationships.  So my social life has been on hold for a long time, and I honestly don't know what middle aged people do or where they congregate. 

I felt compelled to seek out a forum like this one because social isolation has become normal to me, over the years.  I'd like to know I'm not alone in this, if nothing else.  Most people seem to be surrounded by family and friends.  I doubt they could relate to any of the joys and frustrations of being the lost ball.   :O)

You're not alone in this harper. I'm 65 and was a social isolate from about 30 yrs old to about 55 yrs old......and I accepted it as normal.
I started volunteering with a public service entity, joined a church and enrolled in culinary classes at a community college for 2 years.
My social life now and probably my capacity for interpersonal relationships is always going to be off-centered and wobbly.
But that doesn't have to be a total deal breaker for people like me and maybe you. A game changer yeah, but we play the hand of cards we hold at the moment.
I hope you stick around on this forum.

Thanks for this, cs-- when the time comes, I'm sure I'll be volunteering in some capacity.  And I like the idea of taking classes, though the idea of spending hours with 20- and 30-somethings doesn't appeal to me.  And I'll relocate.   Keeping busy seems to be a natural part of my strategy.

I appreciate the warm welcome, in any case.  While I wish loneliness weren't an issue for anyone, I find it encouraging that others of my generation are coping with it to some degree, as well.

harper said:
I'm harper-- 57 y/o man who's been pretty isolated for the past 20 years.  I like people, but haven't had time or energy to pursue or maintain relationships.  So my social life has been on hold for a long time, and I honestly don't know what middle aged people do or where they congregate. 

I felt compelled to seek out a forum like this one because social isolation has become normal to me, over the years.  I'd like to know I'm not alone in this, if nothing else.  Most people seem to be surrounded by family and friends.  I doubt they could relate to any of the joys and frustrations of being the lost ball.   :O)

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy your stay here.

wolvesjr said:
Welcome to the forum Harper

Thanks, wolvesjr-- I'll see you around the forum!

Sun35 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Sun!  I'm enjoying the threads already.  :)

Latest posts

Back